Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 07:05 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,345,505 times

Advertisements

geez... compared to where I live and what I pay... Maine's cost of living seems like a dream. It also seems the more south one gets, as in the US, the less expensive it gets for a lot of places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 10:26 PM

2,025 posts, read 3,345,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadJack View Post
And today they have simply changed the name of this practice to welfare! Many, MANY people come to Maine just for the benefit of sitting on their backsides and collecting a check out of the working class' pocket.
Not to mention their foodstamp or EBT card actually works at Hollywood Slots! Pretty easy livin' up here as long as you're too lazy to work!
Do they have many regulations on Welfare in Maine? At least in NJ they have put a cap on the lifetime amount that someone can collect. That way when those who really need it - NEED it, they can use the program - but not live on it for life.

It's very expensive to live in most parts of NJ. Some would say there are pluses, but not for me. I think it's all in what you want to pay, for living where you WANT to live, and enjoy being.

I know many southern states where it's very reasonable to live - but they would never be a place that i'd want to be.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:21 AM

26 posts, read 52,299 times
I love this topic. My husband and i have been planning a move for a couple of years. Maine has always been our top spot. Southern Maine to be exact. We are coming up there in a couple of weeks to do some more scouting! Third year in a row....lol. But we do have our concerns. Of course jobs being is our #1. Okay....so when folks talk about lack of jobs....is it lack of professions...or just jobs in general?? Is it unreasonable to find a job that pays around $12/hour? We don't have college degrees.....but are hard workers. So basically when we say "decent paying jobs" we mean around $10/hour or so. We don't live beyond our means....but i also don't want to be struggling so bad to where we are forced to move back south. We are still gonna give the move a try regardless and if it doesn't work out well at least we tried Ready to start a family in the next few years and i do NOT want my children growing up here. It's so different than it was when i was a child. Crime is on the rise.....the heat is miserable. But the cost of living is way low....and i think that attracts some undesirable people IMO. And just like in Maine many many folks on welfare.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:03 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,096,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadJack View Post
...Many, MANY people come to Maine just for the benefit of sitting on their backsides and collecting a check out of the working class' pocket....
Really? Who?? I've seen this said on the forum in the past, and this time I just have to say "who?". I've worked in social services and education, I've lived in Maine my whole life, and I've yet to *meet* even ONE person who moved to Maine for the social welfare benefits. Talk about a CRAZY move!

RealFacts: Moving to Maine? (http://www.maine.gov/dhhs/realfacts/in_out_state_comparison.shtml - broken link)

Top 10 Myths: OIAS - Maine DHHS (http://www.maine.gov/dhhs/realfacts/top_ten_tanf.htm - broken link)

Top 10 Myths: OIAS - Maine DHHS (http://www.maine.gov/dhhs/realfacts/top_ten_2.htm - broken link)

Can the program(s) be improved? Like any other program(s), there is certainly room for improvement. But, it's important to have some idea of what is really going on concerning benefits before you can start talking about improvements.

The bottom line is some people CAN'T afford to live in Maine, and they leave. I've never had that problem, but I know people who want a particular type of lifestyle and that's simply not easy to attain here because of a smaller amount of high paying jobs. When the population of many large cities in the US is greater than the population of the entire state of Maine, it's really not difficult to understand *why* that is true. I'd like to think that will change, but until we develop a business friendly environment in Maine, it won't change.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:52 AM

4,567 posts, read 10,650,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
Really? Who?? I've seen this said on the forum in the past, and this time I just have to say "who?". I've worked in social services and education, I've lived in Maine my whole life, and I've yet to *meet* even ONE person who moved to Maine for the social welfare benefits. Talk about a CRAZY move!
You either dont hang out with welfare people or you some people you know may be on public assistance, but you dont even know it. Most people dont tell you they moved to Maine for the great welfare, they lie and say they moved here for the clean air, good schools, blah, blah, etc...

Old 02-17-2011, 09:03 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,096,282 times
So, you're saying I'm lying about never having met anyone who moved to Maine for the "welfare"?

Old 02-17-2011, 09:45 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
"Okay....so when folks talk about lack of jobs....is it lack of professions...or just jobs in general?"

98% of all employers in Maine have fewer than 20 employees. We are a small business state. Many people are in seasonal work. The guy who drives a cement mixer in the summer plows snow in winter for a different employer. The jobs are there, but very few are year round jobs with benefits at a specific employer. It's a matter of semantics. Some people from away define a "job" as being year round with full benefits. It makes them nervous to do seasonal work and they regard that as not having a job, even though they are working.

Hope this sheds some light on the original question.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:48 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,666,857 times
Molly, can't rep you formally so I will do it this way -- great post!

Old 02-17-2011, 10:51 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,378,632 times
Quote:
You either dont hang out with welfare people or you some people you know may be on public assistance, but you dont even know it. Most people dont tell you they moved to Maine for the great welfare, they lie and say they moved here for the clean air, good schools, blah, blah, etc...
Quote:
And today they have simply changed the name of this practice to welfare! Many, MANY people come to Maine just for the benefit of sitting on their backsides and collecting a check out of the working class' pocket.
Bullshi* This crap has been repeated so many times that there are those that actually believe it. It's been shown here on this forum to be total crap. Statistics and studies, and people that actually WORK in the field have shown just how little assistance that people on general relief actually do get in Maine. Try doing the research or being in the position that you have to go to your local town office to ask for help.
I've been on this forum a long time. I usually try not to ruffle any feathers but,... this bs keeps coming up from whatever source of non informed fertilizer some like to pick from. If you want to spread this information, back it up with fact. The facts have been researched and posted here numerous times though it seems you could tell some the sky is blue and they'd swear it was pink just so they wouldn't have to admit they're wrong.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:45 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
It is kind of bold to be projecting 'lying' onto other folks you don't know.

I moved to Maine. My reasons for coming here had no connection to welfare. I must assume of course that you are not attempting to say that I am lying.

I have been known to hang-out at my VFW post a bit, a few of them are on assistance. A couple of elderly guys that use wheelchairs or walkers live in public housing; and one couple that I am aware of. Out of a crowd though it is a very small percentage. Most have pensions, or SS, or jobs.

In our church nobody is on assistance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine