Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 10:25 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NS4Life View Post
thanks for the tip.

yeah maine is full of smart@ses, which is one of the reasons i like it.

Oh goody! You'll do just fine here then.

Welcome. I hope you're able to find what you're looking for.

MW is a fabulous 'go to' person if you want to get things done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 05:08 PM

3 posts, read 6,236 times
who is the processor that u sold your rabbits too i have alot of rabbits to sell for meat,i have been looking in maine to sell to a processor of rabbit meat

Old 07-31-2011, 05:11 PM

3 posts, read 6,236 times
not really sure where to look my rabbits just had 22 more babies ,i would like to start a small farm to sell live and meat rabbits,could someone get back to me on this .TY

Old 07-31-2011, 06:15 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
$3 a head plus 50cents a pound is a hefty fee to be paying for a USDA licensed butcher to process your rabbits for you. That added expense keeps inspected rabbit meat kind of expensive.

I know two farmers to sell rabbit meat. [I will not give you their names] One has been fined twice for selling un-inspected rabbit meat. The other only sells to friends and does not advertise.

Raising meat rabbits is not uncommon as a source of meat for a family. But it is difficult to legally market the meat for a price that anyone is willing to pay.

Old 07-31-2011, 06:29 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anna59 View Post
not really sure where to look my rabbits just had 22 more babies ,i would like to start a small farm to sell live and meat rabbits,could someone get back to me on this .TY
scroll down to maine on the page for bunny breeders- im sure they can give you some info

Rudolph's Rabbit Ranch - List of Meat Rabbit Breeders in the United States of America

here is a list of some-not all meat processors in maine- you can call them see if they do rabbits

Maine Meat Processing Companies

depending on where you are in the state- you can call herring bros- out of guilford (ask for frank , tom, or trey)

also you can call bisson's in topsham,,,ask for Arthur

and, curtis custom meats in warren, ask for Fulton

all these folks have inspectors on site, which is a must for resale

Old 07-31-2011, 08:33 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,542,872 times
I used to sell mine to a processor in Waldoboro. I don't know if he's in business now, maybe someone else will know. There's a slaughterhouse in Alexander that will have its state certification this fall. The meat he processes will be able to be sold legally in the state.

If you have excellent quality NZ's for sale, please message me. I'm looking for two does and a buck from production lines, production records included.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:01 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
I used to sell mine to a processor in Waldoboro. I don't know if he's in business now, maybe someone else will know. There's a slaughterhouse in Alexander that will have its state certification this fall. The meat he processes will be able to be sold legally in the state.

If you have excellent quality NZ's for sale, please message me. I'm looking for two does and a buck from production lines, production records included.
just outside of waldoboro, was a rabbit processor called "last hop" in warren

quite the catchy name, i thought..

Old 08-02-2011, 07:09 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,579,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
just outside of waldoboro, was a rabbit processor called "last hop" in warren

quite the catchy name, i thought..
That's the part that went over the fence last.

We used to have two huge breeding pairs of New Zealands. Their offspring were ready for the freezer in a few short weeks. Their names were George and Martha (Washington,) Rodger and Abigail. We were big on Presidents. One season the pigs were Teddy and Calvin. The beef critter was Quincy.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:05 AM

28 posts, read 63,261 times
Hi Israeldlt -- That certainly is an idyllic vision you have for you and your family. And, I very much admire those with the interest and drive to bring to reality such dreams. However, like most the folks on this thread, I'd have to caution you on this too. If you're independently wealthy, and don't have a need to make much money, then you'll most likely be able to see this vision through. But the hardships of farming are many, and eeking out a living can be tough (coming from a family of farmers in Idaho).
I would suggest securing a decent job in town, and work half-time on your farm. That way, you'd have a steady paycheck while you bolster your farming skills, and hopefully find your niche (ranching/animal raising, crops, etc).
Don't give up the dream though! You never know what can happen. I hope to realize a similar dream myself, someday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine