Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 08:58 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,320,950 times

Advertisements

FYI,

National Park Service Reports(NPS Reports), and US Gov Census data(google US Census), will give you all the data that you need on both the park info and the actual population demographics. Go for sources which are required to be accurate representations by law.

If you haven't spent large amounts of time on MDI, then everything else is just hearsay, even if you've lived in Maine for 100 years. I've lived in PA full time for 61 of 62 years, but though I'm only 25 minutes from West Chester, I really don't know much about West Chester, and even less about Philadelphia. I know quite a bit about the small area I live, and not a lot about many other areas---except for places where I've spent a lot of time. And since I've spent a lot of time navigating MDI during mid July at the height of the tourist season, and since I actually own property on MDI, I do know a great deal about getting around there, and where stuff is. And I've been there during all seasons of the year. I'm retiring there within this year.

It is what is is. I have a good friend who is a realtor, who doesn't live on island in the summer, but still maintains his office in BH year 'round. Its his choice.

For some people, MDI has a kind of intense magic that draws them, and they know that "this is home". For those people, the congestion at some times is hardly noticable. For people who don't feel this magic there, then every little congestion is seen, and its just one annoyance after another. Those people should find some place less populated to live, but they might consider avoiding other people's ability to ignore a little "congestion" for much much more.

Some people don't like any traffic at all, and for them any traffic at all is crowded. But then they also have to deal with being 45-60 minutes from the nearest hospital, and 25 minutes from any decent food store, and longer from any decent shopping areas. If you want to have "the stuff" then you will need to live where there are people. And having people around means some level of congestion.

Last edited by Zarathu; 02-21-2011 at 09:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 09:01 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,242,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
Me too.

And I agree, those are wonderful areas. I know I say it on here a lot, but the Schoodic area is one of my favorite places. I love it over there! Blue Hill, Brooklin, Penobscot... very nice too. I like Stockton Springs as well.
Brooklin stinks! lousy area and mean people...

Old 02-21-2011, 09:16 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,887,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
If it's that bad perhaps you should move.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:23 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,242,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
If it's that bad perhaps you should move.
Some one has to stay and be mean...

Old 02-21-2011, 09:32 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
Well, I guess a resident would know.

Are there a LOT of mean people or just a few prominent ones?

Old 02-21-2011, 10:38 AM

157 posts, read 327,797 times
Talking WOW - what a hoot this read was !

Sailor is back, little did I realize how much was to be missed in a short 36 hours !

Read through all these threads, did more research from the "Maine" books we bought, few more phone discussions with a Schoodic long time resdient, and here' what I've learned which has spurred some follow-ups. Clealry as one coming form a (health) commuications background - seems like I've opened up a can of worms here - which as it turns out migt have a silver-lining, it's what we in the profession call, "Entereducate, I was literally LOL when reading some of these "dynamic & engaging discussions" if you wil, I just hope my GPS lady (the one with British accent who gets the 'attitude in her voice when she has to 'recalculate' cuz I chaged my mind or made a wrong turn), anyway hope my GPS knows these backroad routes to which you all
refer.

Also, regarding our famiiarity with MDI, some posters were correct that at least at the time of my last posting I did not have a good undertsanding of MDI and it's relationship/ proximity to and comparison to the other considered areas identified in original post - both in terms of congestion, driving distances, noise levels etc.-so thanks for feedback on that subject. Plus, since studing mor e online and the Maine books - I now have a beter understanding ofthe geography of MDI at least. Still think we're leaning towards Schoodic + possibly Lamoine, Sullivan, Deer Is. and Harpswell.
Clearly no amount of research will compare to a visit to get a feel for the "lay of the land" so to speak during our upcoming visit of properties, but this forum certainly serves as an adjunct / companion must-read to the in person visit as we come up to Maine eyes wide open.

Been on several forum of different topical areas and have found that varying opinions at least for me are best dealt with by agreeing to disagree but have deep appreciation for (validated evidenciary) facts v. anecdotal opinions.

1st and most importantly - all this talk of what is seemingly a local famous eatery I'm assuming, that either it's a favorite eatery for locals or a poultry tourist attraction;
1. What the heck is the Chicken Barn ? !
2. Proximity to a prescription Pharmacy and Dentist (guess we're a bit spoiled now I can have the Doc call in a RX and pick it up all within 30 minutes max here) not so sure that'd be the case in say Schoodic though, I asume many folks do mail order for their regular Rx meds up there unless you're close enough to a full service pharmacy.
3. Thoughts on Lamoine?
4. What's with the "mean people in Brooklin" comments, am I being naive, or is that a general statement describing folks in Brooklin?
5. I too enjoy a "decaf " infrequently especially a lot of Bailey's Irish Creme is added - white russionas are good too when ya want that coffee taste without the effects of caffeine to unwind or chill in the evening. Otherwise my dafault is godo strong fresh coffee with a shot of espresso - throughout the day - that could explain my rants as well. Hopefuly we can keep this thread a goin'.
...sailor...

Old 02-21-2011, 10:56 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,887,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnapolisSailor View Post
Sailor is back, little did I realize how much was to be missed in a short 36 hours !

Funny how we get all het up on here. You snooze you lose (sometimes).

1st and most importantly - all this talk of what is seemingly a local famous eatery I'm assuming, that either it's a favorite eatery for locals or a poultry tourist attraction;
1. What the heck is the Chicken Barn ? !

The Big Chicken BArn is a great way to kill a few hours perusing the shelves for books, antiques (I still use some of what they call antiques), and repair, spare parts for refurbing an old house. http://www.bigchickenbarn.com/ The website only scratches the surface. A great place to just hang out for a fews hours.

2. Proximity to a prescription Pharmacy and Dentist (guess we're a bit spoiled now I can have the Doc call in a RX and pick it up all within 30 minutes max here) not so sure that'd be the case in say Schoodic though, I asume many folks do mail order for their regular Rx meds up there unless you're close enough to a full service pharmacy.

3. Thoughts on Lamoine?

Haven't been but I hear good things and want to cruise through this spring/summer.

4. What's with the "mean people in Brooklin" comments, am I being naive, or is that a general statement describing folks in Brooklin?

There's only one and he's not too bad an egg. LOL. May just be paint fumes.

5. I too enjoy a "decaf " infrequently especially a lot of Bailey's Irish Creme is added - white russionas are good too when ya want that coffee taste without the effects of caffeine to unwind or chill in the evening. Otherwise my dafault is godo strong fresh coffee with a shot of espresso - throughout the day - that could explain my rants as well. Hopefuly we can keep this thread a goin'.

Man after my own heart. White Russians are an excellent source of vitamin D.

...sailor...
Seriously, when your driving up Rt 1/3 stop in Orland (just before Ellsworth) and check out the Barn.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:01 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,901,814 times
The mean people of Brooklin are *nothing* compared to those darn ruffians down on Deer Isle.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:18 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,101,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
The mean people of Brooklin are *nothing* compared to those darn ruffians down on Deer Isle.
I heard there's a wicked red head down that way... and you know those red heads!

We have friends in Franklin, Lamoine, and Hancock. Those are great areas too. Close enough to things, but quietly tucked away.

Mean people in Brooklin? Naaa.... there is ONE, but he's in Washington County on weekends. If he were to give you any trouble you could always go to his wife. She's smart, witty, and I suspect she handles him well.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:47 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,391,174 times
Can't we all just get a bong.

I just read that Maine topped 2.6 million visitors to the State Parks last year and another report by the BDN that Acadia got 2.5 million visitors last year. That's a lot of people.

As far as retiring in an area that gets lots of visitors in the summer, just think of the visitors as like having summer snow: It takes longer to get to places, you make less trips, you melt in the heat and there are lots of studs but they aren't on tires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine