Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 03:30 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,167,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
The rut or mating season is in the fall. A moose call imitates a lonesome cow and it is VERY effective. Do NOT play with a moose call in the woods. One guy who did was treed by a bull moose who wondered what the person had done with HIS COW! The guy was in the tree all night with an angry bull below him on the ground.

Hee hee hee...in the immortal words of Homer Simpson:

"D'oh!"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 03:54 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,666,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
The rut or mating season is in the fall. A moose call imitates a lonesome cow and it is VERY effective. Do NOT play with a moose call in the woods. One guy who did was treed by a bull moose who wondered what the person had done with HIS COW! The guy was in the tree all night with an angry bull below him on the ground.
Unless you have a moose permit and want to fill a freezer or two.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:32 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,578,554 times
After hearing reports about deer activity in two different parts of the State during the full moon last Friday, we headed out in the Jeep and checked on a couple of yards in Beaver Cove and Lily Bay today. Incredibly easy going, as there was half the snow we have in town.

Counted a total of seven moose and 65 deer. Some nice bucks and plenty of doe. Some were just lazily lying on the banks soaking up the high sun. Plenty of hare sign and partridge tracks, too.

Found just one moose carcass, three deer carcasses, took the skulls, mandibles and scapulas for projects, and the tail end of a dog. All we had between us was a .40 but missed him.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:36 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,032,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I watch alot of the animal/wildlife channels (when i cant sleep) and a segment on bears and camping (bears smelling food) the fellas camping had an air horn, pepper spray and handguns (they said they watched "when animals attack" and were prepared "just in case"
anyways, a bear did come around and a blast from the airhorn was all it took, and the bear ran away, and didnt return.

I think this is an excellent way to deter most wildlife if needed.
Air horns and pepper spray reminds me of an important notice posted in Grizzly Bear territory in Alaska:

In light of rising frequency of human/grizzly bear conflicts, the Alaska Department of Fish and Game is advising tourists, hikers, and fishermen to take extra precautions and to keep alert for bears while traveling this summer.

We advise that people wear bells on their clothing so the bears will hear you coming and not be startled. We also advise everyone to carry pepper spray with them in case of an encounter with a grizzly.

It is also a good idea to watch out for fresh signs of bear activity. Outdoorsmen should recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear dung:

Black bear dung is smaller and contains lots of berries and squirrel fur.

Grizzly bear dung has little bells in it and smells like pepper.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post
Air horns and pepper spray reminds me of an important notice posted in Grizzly Bear territory in Alaska:

In light of rising frequency of human/grizzly bear conflicts, the Alaska Department of Fish and Game is advising tourists, hikers, and fishermen to take extra precautions and to keep alert for bears while traveling this summer.

We advise that people wear bells on their clothing so the bears will hear you coming and not be startled. We also advise everyone to carry pepper spray with them in case of an encounter with a grizzly.

It is also a good idea to watch out for fresh signs of bear activity. Outdoorsmen should recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear dung:

Black bear dung is smaller and contains lots of berries and squirrel fur.

Grizzly bear dung has little bells in it and smells like pepper.
LOL!!!

If it looks like bear chit,

sniff...sniff, and it smells like bear chit,

and it tastes like bear chit...

Old 02-23-2011, 05:51 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,886,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
LOL!!!

If it looks like bear chit,

sniff...sniff, and it smells like bear chit,

and it tastes like bear chit...
Cheech and Chong. Big Bambu?

Old 02-23-2011, 07:22 AM

70 posts, read 178,520 times
Wildlife is just a very awesome thing. We do not have the luxury of seeing/encountering them as ofter as we thought we would. I like the wild, I enjoy nature so much. Bears aren't on the list to meet face to face though! It's just that it reminds us of nature and how we have to take care of it too for them as it is for us.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
Cheech and Chong. Big Bambu?
Yup, yup, yup yup,yup...I burned that album wrap years ago!

Told a biologist about one of my deer yard adventures this morning. He is taking a writer out from Down East shortly for an article. He wanted an area for good photos.

This is a difficult time for the herds. The crust is hard and they make easy prey for coyotes and domestic dogs, alike. Fourty inches of snow is what they are recording at a station exactly in that area. Their trails are packed down about two feet into the snow pack. The moose hate it too. They sratch and cut up their lower limbs up on the crust. They are also running the snowmobile trails for the ease of transportaion, so pay attention if your out there!

Antler growth will begin in about a month. The snow will recede and then its time for shed hunting before the roads have drained enough to gather salvage wood.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:51 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
I have been seeing a lot of deer lately.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:12 AM

885 posts, read 1,494,818 times
Some deer, LOT's of turkey's......one moose came thru my yard and thru my neighbors garden a few nights ago....that's a first here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine