Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 07:00 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,578,942 times

Advertisements

From the MHPC

The analysis revealed that in 2005, state government employees on average received 32.1 percent higher overall compensation than private sector employees, or $51,003 versus $38,617. The Maine ratio between the two sectors was the fourth highest in the U.S. Conversely, New Hampshire was 49th and Massachusetts was 46th, respectively at -7 percent and -3.6 percent.
On average in the U.S., state government employees were compensated five percent higher.

Report: State Workers Receive Substantially Higher Pay and Benefits than Private Sector Workers

Public employees earned benefits worth an average of $13.38 an hour in December 2008, the latest available data, the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) says. Private-sector workers got $7.98 an hour.

Benefits widen public, private workers' pay gap - USATODAY.com

Wages in the Nonprofit Sector: Management, Professional, and Administrative Support Occupations

GOP Targets Federal Workers' Salaries : NPR

Old 02-20-2011, 07:21 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,578,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysmith View Post
Post all the links you want, but picture this Batman...a Maine state worker becomes vested in the retirement system after 10 years of service. That means at retirement age, if you have 10 years of service you receive...if a state worker...free single subscription to health care for the rest of your life. If you are a lowly teacher, the state will pick up 45% of your health care. 10 years in the private sector does not get you anything quite as sweet! No need to post how much it will cost for health insurance for your family...they didn't work for the state, why should we provide them free health insurance when you retire? Sorry if it sounds harsh, but somewhere it has to stop. I remember an old timer lamenting years ago how our country was in trouble. He looked at his hands and said "Nobody produces anything with their hands any more." We can only pay so many salaries for those "taking care" of us without actually "producing something tangible!
If a state worker is paid to plow the road, there needs to be someone using the road to move freight to market, not just to keep the road open so we can travel to where we get more services.
I think we are seeing the crux of the buscuit here. Public employees from Main to Washington are earning defined retirement benefits and wages that have long dissapeared in all but the largest private sector companies.

Many workers and business owners have been forced into 401's, etc. for the last three decades. Defined pensions for worker and spouse are a thing of the past.

I know firemen and police who are double dipping by collecting and working for another few decades. I might understand if you worked in a real city with daily job hazzards, but most of the backwoods? We have so much overlap in public services, it isn't funny. You can call 911 just as easily for a fish or game violation, as you would a traffic accident. All 'law enforcemet' personnel take the same oath to uphold the laws of the State.

As far as you Veterans out there, double and triple dip all you want. YOU earned it!

Old 02-20-2011, 07:35 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,667,921 times
Quote:
Post all the links you want, but picture this Batman...a Maine state worker becomes vested in the retirement system after 10 years of service. That means at retirement age, if you have 10 years of service you receive...if a state worker...free single subscription to health care for the rest of your life. If you are a lowly teacher, the state will pick up 45% of your health care. 10 years in the private sector does not get you anything quite as sweet! No need to post how much it will cost for health insurance for your family...they didn't work for the state, why should we provide them free health insurance when you retire? Sorry if it sounds harsh, but somewhere it has to stop. I remember an old timer lamenting years ago how our country was in trouble. He looked at his hands and said "Nobody produces anything with their hands any more." We can only pay so many salaries for those "taking care" of us without actually "producing something tangible!
If a state worker is paid to plow the road, there needs to be someone using the road to move freight to market, not just to keep the road open so we can travel to where we get more services.
Man.... if this post doesn't sum it up in total... nothing does!
Thank you Kellysmith for the absolute clearest take on this situation to date.
I'd rep ya but I evidently rep'ed you recently.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:42 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
... As far as you Veterans out there, double and triple dip all you want. YOU earned it!
Thank you.

I have no desire to double dip. It kind of seems like cheating to me.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:50 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,667,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
I think we are seeing the crux of the buscuit here. Public employees from Main to Washington are earning defined retirement benefits and wages that have long dissapeared in all but the largest private sector companies.

Many workers and business owners have been forced into 401's, etc. for the last three decades. Defined pensions for worker and spouse are a thing of the past.

I know firemen and police who are double dipping by collecting and working for another few decades. I might understand if you worked in a real city with daily job hazzards, but most of the backwoods? We have so much overlap in public services, it isn't funny. You can call 911 just as easily for a fish or game violation, as you would a traffic accident. All 'law enforcemet' personnel take the same oath to uphold the laws of the State.
As far as you Veterans out there, double and triple dip all you want. YOU earned it!
It used to be if there was a traffic accident they sent a local cop or two to document the accident. If there was someone hurt they called an ambulance. If there was a fire they called a fire truck. Now they call in EVERYONE. Police, Fire , rescue, dog sniffing teams, linguists, and ambulance chasing lawyers. Special teams are called in to reconstruct the whole scene long after the injured have been lugged off. They close roads, re-route traffic, measure everything 50 times, take a million pictures, spending several hours to reconstruct the accident and spend tons of time and money doing so. For what?? To cover the a&&es of the cops?? It surely doesn't help the public (again those paying and those inconvenienced) to have important roads closed down for hours while the cops play CSI Miami.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:57 PM

3,536 posts, read 2,858,353 times
Quote:
Well picture this kellysmith, State employees do not contribute to SocSec but instead contribute to the state pension instead and don't get to collect both only one or the other, If you work in the private sector for 40 quarters/10 years you get your very own pension except it is called SocSec. and you also get a health plan too, its called Medicare
Now don't get me wrong I am willing to bet that the state pension is better than SS, probably alot better, but this is OK because it was given to state workers by the legislators which is exactly the way DMYANKEE wants it done.

Sorry I'm not a teacher and I don't know why they are given the shaft on health ins.

bill

Old 02-20-2011, 08:01 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
It used to be if there was a traffic accident they sent a local cop or two to document the accident. If there was someone hurt they called an ambulance. If there was a fire they called a fire truck. Now they call in EVERYONE. Police, Fire , rescue, dog sniffing teams, linguists, and ambulance chasing lawyers. Special teams are called in to reconstruct the whole scene long after the injured have been lugged off. They close roads, re-route traffic, measure everything 50 times, take a million pictures, spending several hours to reconstruct the accident and spend tons of time and money doing so. For what?? To cover the a&&es of the cops?? It surely doesn't help the public (again those paying and those inconvenienced) to have important roads closed down for hours while the cops play CSI Miami.
maybe it has more to do with frivilous lawsuits
and/or budgeting is based on calls, so their is always an increase

when i went off the road this past spring on the turnpike(hydroplaned in a heavy rain, did 2 donuts and went down over the bank backwards)

all the emergency vehicles were there-i remember thinking it was good in case i needed it- but i was also thinking, i hope i dont get charged- one emt insisted i go in the ambulance to the emergency room, I refused- but also had to sign something declaring i refused. I refused, because i didnt want to be charged 500 for the ambulance ride and another 500 for the emergency room.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:13 PM

973 posts, read 2,381,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
Well picture this kellysmith, State employees do not contribute to SocSec but instead contribute to the state pension instead and don't get to collect both only one or the other, If you work in the private sector for 40 quarters/10 years you get your very own pension except it is called SocSec. and you also get a health plan too, its called Medicare
Now don't get me wrong I am willing to bet that the state pension is better than SS, probably alot better, but this is OK because it was given to state workers by the legislators which is exactly the way DMYANKEE wants it done.

Sorry I'm not a teacher and I don't know why they are given the shaft on health ins.

bill
Not interested in a debate, but social security won't get you 2% of your high three yearly average for each year you "slave away" at your employment. State retirement is a "defined" retirement plan. I know far too many who have worked for the state and the last three years they load up on overtime, extra duties, anything to build up that high three average. Then we pay them 2% of that number for each year of their service. I'll say this slowly..."More power to them...but, it's just gone too far and I believe reached the tipping point where it's unsustainable".
Here's a novel idea, do away with state retirement and let all state employees pay into and draw social security. Let them pay into medicare and buy medicare supplimental insurance when they retire....level the playing field baby...and we still will need to get more people producing something other than services in the state, but that would be a start.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
seriously Maineah take a deep breath it's all right.
you have kinda answered your own question on this one the cops are not covering there a&&es there indemnified and cannot be sued, the a&&es they are covering is the tax payers from multi-million dollar law suits from yea you guessed it ambulance chasing lawyers

Instead of blaming police, firemen, and other state workers why not ask your state rep. to put forth a bill with some serious tort reform.

bill

Old 02-20-2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Not interested in a debate, but social security won't get you 2% of your high three yearly average for each year you "slave away" at your employment. State retirement is a "defined" retirement plan. I know far too many who have worked for the state and the last three years they load up on overtime, extra duties, anything to build up that high three average. Then we pay them 2% of that number for each year of their service. I'll say this slowly..."More power to them...but, it's just gone too far and I believe reached the tipping point where it's unsustainable".
Here's a novel idea, do away with state retirement and let all state employees pay into and draw social security. Let them pay into medicare and buy medicare supplimental insurance when they retire....level the playing field baby...and we still will need to get more people producing something other than services in the state, but that would be a start.
As I said in my OP I know very little about the pension and it really played a small role in my decision to take this job, I no more trust it to be there for me when I retire than I do SocSec.
Now if the state wants to do away with pension thats fine but there going to have to bump up the pay some, It's kinda hard to save for your own retirement on (IMO) a low hourly wage.
Yes FB I know up in the county My pay makes me look like a king, but down here in lewiston without any peatbogs to heat my house with it's low.

bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine