Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 04:43 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,033,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
It's getting pretty scary for me working a low wage job more than 20 miles from home. Bad enough I have to choose between groceries ans monthly bills...soon I will have to wonder if I can afford to work!
Are there any other people you could car pool with, to share expenses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 05:20 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
It is the perfect storm in petroleum. First the folks who own the Federal Reserve decided to print over a trillion dollars out of nothing. They can do that because there is no longer such a thing as a US Treasury note. Read the top line on the folding money in your wallet if you still have some. Now the young people in the Muslim nations would like a little more self determination. That makes oil speculators nervous so they bid up the price of crude. Meanwhile, we have at least 29 different formulations of regular gas in our country. You can't sell Massachusetts gas in Maine and vice versa. If all this seems difficult to comprehend, it's supposed to be difficult to comprehend.

And that's why they raised the price of crude oil 6% today. Here's an idea: Let's tell OPEC we'll swap a barrel of crude for a bushel of wheat or corn. They get to pick it. If you have the means to store some gasoline, home heating oil or Diesel this would be a really good time to buy some.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:26 PM

326 posts, read 433,813 times
Good thing I drive a very small and economical car and live 3 miles from work. But it is not only gasoline is it? I worry about my friends in ME paying for heating oil...

Old 02-21-2011, 06:02 PM

1,594 posts, read 4,096,435 times
As bad as it is now, if this mess spreads to Saudi Arabia we'll see $4 a gallon almost instantly.

Prices in midcoast Maine this afternoon were generally $3.16 to $3.19 a gallon, although one place was $3.27. I filled the Prius yesterday and the pickup today, plus two of the four five-gallon gas cans in the garage. I'll fill the other two tomorrow.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:25 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,667,921 times
We told you so. Maine is going to have to rely on wood and tidal energy NOW. The envrionmentalists are going to be lynched if they stand in the way. This is survival time. No more feel good nonsense when we are left to live or die at the behest of the oil producing nations. Oh yeah and thanks a lot you envrionmental hand wringers for stopping domestic oil production over the last 30 years. I hope you're the first to freeze.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:13 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,033,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Oh yeah and thanks a lot you envrionmental hand wringers for stopping domestic oil production over the last 30 years. I hope you're the first to freeze.
If we expanded domestic oil production over the last 30 years, the extra oil would have been burned up by more and bigger SUV's--oil's cheap! An SUV in every garage!

And we'd be in the same spot today.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:38 PM

157 posts, read 327,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
We told you so. Maine is going to have to rely on wood and tidal energy NOW. The envrionmentalists are going to be lynched if they stand in the way. This is survival time. No more feel good nonsense when we are left to live or die at the behest of the oil producing nations. Oh yeah and thanks a lot you envrionmental hand wringers for stopping domestic oil production over the last 30 years. I hope you're the first to freeze.
Here here! Warning I am going to rant for a few moments, can't resist.
Disclaimer: I agree to disgaree and respect those who disagree with my opinion.

It really gets my dander up when bleeding heart types are more interested in saving turtle eggs and marsh fish than human beings lives and jobs - what kind of reasoning is that?

Oh and by the way I understand the gas utilization is more of global issue than a domestic SUV one - although (like China and india using hige amounts of gas as they move towards improved and growing capitalist economies - (hey we gotta thank China for financing our huge deficit don't we) it's really ironic when I see bleeding hearts (or elected officials) with their shall we say left-leaning agenda bumper stickers driving around in those big SUVs.

We both drive older economy & subcompact cars - just waiting for them to die on the road - mine is a 99 Nissan Altima (90K miles) with a rust hole in the hood that looks like a big bullet hole (LOL) but gas mileage is decent, I recycle everything, and no I am not a bleeding heart. When/ if affordable - defintiely getting a hybrid for our next car.

Thank you kindly for your patience while I ranted, "Mama Moose" is done.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:19 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
We have not built a new refinery in our country for over 30 years because of the environmental industry. Clinton was able to declare the largest low sulphur coal deposit in the world in Utah off limits because of the environmental industry. We shut down all drilling in the Gulf of Mexico because of the environmental industry. We have been prevented from using the world's largest new oil field, the Baaken field in the Dakotas, because of the environmental industry. We have not developed the North slope oil field in Alaska because of the environmental industry. The Gulf of Maine has a bigger natural gas field than the one at Sable Island. It has not been developed because of the environmental industry. We shut down Maine Yankee which could have been safely running today because of the environmental industry. We have taken out perfectly good hydro dams in Maine because of the environmental industry and they want to take out more.

Do you see a pattern here?

Old 02-22-2011, 03:36 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,902,565 times
Most of our oil comes from Canada. Prices are subject to stock market jitters and of course the oil lobby wants prices to be high.

Top 5 sources of US oil imports:
Canada, Mexico, Saudi Arabia, Venezuela, Nigeria.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:38 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,667,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
We have not built a new refinery in our country for over 30 years because of the environmental industry. Clinton was able to declare the largest low sulphur coal deposit in the world in Utah off limits because of the environmental industry. We shut down all drilling in the Gulf of Mexico because of the environmental industry. We have been prevented from using the world's largest new oil field, the Baaken field in the Dakotas, because of the environmental industry. We have not developed the North slope oil field in Alaska because of the environmental industry. The Gulf of Maine has a bigger natural gas field than the one at Sable Island. It has not been developed because of the environmental industry. We shut down Maine Yankee which could have been safely running today because of the environmental industry. We have taken out perfectly good hydro dams in Maine because of the environmental industry and they want to take out more.

Do you see a pattern here?
Yes we see that pattern. The envrionuts won't be happy until we're all eating berries and acorns , running around in hemp loin cloths, living in caves with no heat and dying when we're in our 30's and 40's again.....like the good old days before corporate greed polluted the planet.....boneheads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine