Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 07:53 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
reloop asks:

"Enlighten me please, where did the population (in Houlton around the turn of the century) make their millions?"

All that farmland used to be forests. The timber barons made a whole lot of money on lumber. Then they became farmers on the same land.

"This is probably THE single worse time to spend money we don't have on risky "touristy" endeavors as far as I'm concerned."

I agree with that one. I visit a lot of local general stores and coffee shops. I usually know everybody in there. I don't see many tourists. In fact, the traffic through here is way down from recent years.

Maine has a lot to offer. Somebody who is versatile and energetic can make a living here.
Totally agree with the bolded. There are a vast number of self-employed people in Maine.

The type of employment available also plays a large part in bringing younger people here I think.

A lot of younger people have been sold a bill of goods now (IMO) that they can get out of college and immediately drop into a good-paying job.

That may work for a chosen few, but even white-collar jobs are being outsourced now leaving less of a pool to choose from.

It's the self-starters that tend to be more successful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 03:55 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,242,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
Totally agree with the bolded. There are a vast number of self-employed people in Maine.

The type of employment available also plays a large part in bringing younger people here I think.

A lot of younger people have been sold a bill of goods now (IMO) that they can get out of college and immediately drop into a good-paying job.

That may work for a chosen few, but even white-collar jobs are being outsourced now leaving less of a pool to choose from.

It's the self-starters that tend to be more successful.
No, really, it's the trains. If we had more trains here, everything would be alright.

Old 12-16-2010, 04:16 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,887,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
No, really, it's the trains. If we had more trains here, everything would be alright.
More trains, and get rid of the fire ants.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:43 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
You're right it's the lack of trains. The lack of trains has forced us to send our forest products to Canada, shut down the sardine industry, close paper mills, close the shoe and fabric factories down, stop shipping potatoes,and has kept tourists away by the thousands for decades. I'm sure the lack of trains was also responsible for the box factories closing, the ice cutting industry to shut down, and the buggy whip companies to fold. As soon as the new Amtrack spur opens through my town I'm going to lobby to get a freight train running on those refurbished tracks and I'll jump right in to the ice cutting industry....or maybe buggy whips!

Old 12-19-2010, 07:55 AM

396 posts, read 605,334 times
From some young people …

Quality:

- Nightlife
- Museums
- Sporting activities
- Parks
- Oh, and less snow & cold

Now when I was told these things, I said:

- What's missing?
- What kind and where?
- More then Hockey, Baseball & Basketball?
- Where?
- It's Maine, get use to it.

There issue doesn't seem to be any of the above, as much as it's all of the above, NOT close to those who want it.

Portland has ALL of the above.

Lewiston / Auburn has some of the above, as does Brunswick / Topsham / Bath area.

Bangor has many of these as well.

The issues seem to be, are they close to you?

Are there enough of each?

Everything IS available here, it's just not always close or convenient, doesn't have or isn't showing what you want to see at that time.

So it turns out, the real issue is, not that we don't have these things in Maine, it's that we don't have enough of them.

Those that listen to me, and then commented on what we were talking about, said they like the BIG cities because there was more to do, more choices.

So if we can get more Museums, Theaters, Parks, Sporting events, and they did more things, more often, young folks would love it here?

Skip

Old 12-19-2010, 09:55 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,972,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
More trains, and get rid of the fire ants.

I'll second the fire ants

Old 12-19-2010, 09:57 AM

396 posts, read 605,334 times
As would I, if I had ever seen any fire ants in Maine

Old 12-19-2010, 11:31 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slalemand View Post
From some young people …

Quality:
- Nightlife
- Museums
- Sporting activities
- Parks
- Oh, and less snow & cold
When I was in my early 20s I can see where the most important thing in my minds was indeed: Nightlife, Museums, Sporting activities and Parks.

Though looking back now I can also see a major factor being the fire ants and crocodiles.

Old 12-19-2010, 01:29 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,033,233 times
Quote:

European Fire Ant: Invasive Insect in Maine The University of Maine - Cooperative Extension Publications - Bulletin #2550

Old 12-19-2010, 01:39 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,887,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corgis View Post
I'll second the fire ants
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post

And the battle rages on. AustinB will be happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine