Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 01:51 PM

163 posts, read 295,334 times

Advertisements

Last week before posting in this thread I called my propane co. to get a current price. They quoted me $ 3.49 per gal. Today I came home early because of all the severe weather down here, and noticed the LPG co. had left a notice on my door to call them immediately.

The girl from the gas co. told me they were running a "special". My normal fill up time is July, but I could fill up now at $1.99 / gal. I also could sign up for a lock of $ 2.49 / gal. for the next 12 months after the fill up. I couldn't say yes fast enough, but I hung up the phone wondering ... why?

It's almost a little freaky when they want you to top off your tank for 43% less than it would have cost a week ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 02:27 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,661,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pc-not View Post
Last week before posting in this thread I called my propane co. to get a current price. They quoted me $ 3.49 per gal. Today I came home early because of all the severe weather down here, and noticed the LPG co. had left a notice on my door to call them immediately.

The girl from the gas co. told me they were running a "special". My normal fill up time is July, but I could fill up now at $1.99 / gal. I also could sign up for a lock of $ 2.49 / gal. for the next 12 months after the fill up. I couldn't say yes fast enough, but I hung up the phone wondering ... why?

It's almost a little freaky when they want you to top off your tank for 43% less than it would have cost a week ago.
Yeah that's weird alright.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:10 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,489,740 times
I wish Dead River would make me that offer.....Last offer I had was to just pay the bill, and fill up now, cause it's gonna get more expensive.

On a humorous note. The other day I went to fill up my truck. I saw the last purchase was at $3.43 a gallon. I reset the pump, and .....would you believe, it was now $3.49 a gallon. A 6 cent increase in .....well 2 minutes. I looked up and the guy was changing the sign. You know something is wrong when Citgo (Hugo Chavez) is cheaper than other companies.....

Old 03-11-2011, 09:31 PM

8 posts, read 8,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pc-not View Post

This isn't weird at all.
I ended up selling at a discount nearly every year, back when I had the oil company...which sold propane too.
We are buying futures contracts and if we dont use it all....we lose what we have left at the end of contract.
Better to get our cost (or even less) than to suffer a total loss.

Good deal for you...dont expect it every year.
It always depends on how much was in the contract as opposed to what is left as the contract comes to term.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:36 PM

8 posts, read 8,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzinckgra View Post
Why is it they can vary the cost/g of LP depending on how much you use, when they don't do that with oil?
Your not buying your oil correctly.
All companies offer discounts in one form or several.
Some ways make sense for some and not for others.

Your generally looking at 1000 gallons or better, in order to get these discounts
There are also some limitations as to delivery, when you take the discount option.

If your service rep. says that they dont...go somewhere else.

Trust me....they all discount @ 1000+...depending on the delivery method.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine