Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 03:52 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times

Advertisements

Back in 98 a lady called in to WVOM as she neared three weeks without power. She was seated by her kitchen window with a cup of tea. She had just filled the bird feeder and taken a loaf of bread out of the oven. She then called WVOM and volunteered to be the very last customer to be reconnected to Bangor Hydro.

There was a large number of orange trucks up from North Carolina, clearing trees and branches from power lines ahead of the line crews. We called them the Asplunhd Army. Those men were amazed when they went into a diner and people picked up their breakfast or lunch tab. Those guys did a great job. It must have made an impression on the company because they have moved into Maine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 03:56 PM

428 posts, read 554,132 times
We only lost power for a couple hours. Unfortunately, I had to replace our water line to the spring on Sunday and my plan to keep the new exposed pipe from freezing by keeping water running was thwarted by the power loss. Oh well, plenty of water for flushing is seeping into the basement and there is still plenty of snow to melt for wash water. The weather forecast says it may reach 44 (F not K) on thursday, so maybe I can get the line thawed and primed.
On a brighter note, the ice coated trees were gorgeous! Great picturesque view between Houlton and home!

Old 03-08-2011, 05:03 PM

264 posts, read 758,929 times
We got our power back this afternoon after losing it yesterday afternoon. Here are a few pictures. There were trees down on a lot of lines and bangor hydro was out and about, but new trees keep falling. Hopefully we keep power tonight. Sure is pretty but so dangerous.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:11 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,578,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Back in 98 a lady called in to WVOM as she neared three weeks without power. She was seated by her kitchen window with a cup of tea. She had just filled the bird feeder and taken a loaf of bread out of the oven. She then called WVOM and volunteered to be the very last customer to be reconnected to Bangor Hydro.

There was a large number of orange trucks up from North Carolina, clearing trees and branches from power lines ahead of the line crews. We called them the Asplunhd Army. Those men were amazed when they went into a diner and people picked up their breakfast or lunch tab. Those guys did a great job. It must have made an impression on the company because they have moved into Maine.
There is a place in Heaven reserved for Jerry Evans, owner of WVOM at the time. The station was turned into the major lifeline for thousands of stranded Mainers.

The storm hit in January, thousands without power, transformers exploded and power lines went down throughout the state. The first thing to go was the State's Emergency Broadcasting (Angus King's baby,) Maine Public Radio. Jerry Evans, owner of WVOM decided to go into his own emergency mode. He canceled all his regular broadcasting and advertizing for the next couple of weeks. The station was turned into a forum, 24/7 for all to call for storm updates or to find help for fuel, heat, food, anything to help. It was nothing for someone in dire need of wood to have a complete stranger show up in his dooryard with a pickup load. The WVOM staff kept this half of the state informed and saved more than one life.

Sometime into the storm when it was obvious that the generator for the transmitter, located on a mountain was running out of fuel, Jerry put out the call for ideas to get propane up to the mountain. Mainers once again stepped forward. The Maine Militia (NOT the National Guard!) came to the rescue. They gathered at the base of the mountain and hauled 100 pound containers of propane one by one one snowmobile. The station was helped by all kinds of volunteers throughout the region.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:36 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
There is a place in Heaven reserved for Jerry Evans, owner of WVOM at the time. The station was turned into the major lifeline for thousands of stranded Mainers.

The storm hit in January, thousands without power, transformers exploded and power lines went down throughout the state. The first thing to go was the State's Emergency Broadcasting (Angus King's baby,) Maine Public Radio. Jerry Evans, owner of WVOM decided to go into his own emergency mode. He canceled all his regular broadcasting and advertizing for the next couple of weeks. The station was turned into a forum, 24/7 for all to call for storm updates or to find help for fuel, heat, food, anything to help. It was nothing for someone in dire need of wood to have a complete stranger show up in his dooryard with a pickup load. The WVOM staff kept this half of the state informed and saved more than one life.

Sometime into the storm when it was obvious that the generator for the transmitter, located on a mountain was running out of fuel, Jerry put out the call for ideas to get propane up to the mountain. Mainers once again stepped forward. The Maine Militia (NOT the National Guard!) came to the rescue. They gathered at the base of the mountain and hauled 100 pound containers of propane one by one one snowmobile. The station was helped by all kinds of volunteers throughout the region.
I remember listening to them during the ice storm-they did a great job

we had lost power for 22 days (during the ice storm) what i remember clearly
is being on my snowmobile in a field next to the woods, but not daring to go in the woods, the trees, and branches weighted by heavy ice, were breaking with a snapping and crackling sound- and thank god for the woodstove!!
I liked the signs next to the road "free beer to cmp linemen" (just hook us up while you drink)

Old 03-09-2011, 02:53 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,241,235 times
Our horror story for the ice storm of 98 was, we lost power for a total of a day and a half.(not all at the same time) The only contact with the outside world was with satellite tv, run off the generator.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:13 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,654,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMama View Post
I'd take that over a week long power outage after Hurricane Wilma. <snip>
Much rather live in Maine.
Me too! We "did" Ophelia, on the coast of NC. I got interviewed on the local news when the truck came by as I was outside with the dogs. Dogs GOTTA go eventually! LOL

I hated being in a totally boarded up house, not being able to see what was going on outside, so I insisted that we have one window (in a protected area) and door (ditto) usable and I was out there off and on through the whole thing.

It's a matter of thinking things through and being prepared, mostly. I'm glad that out water started running, yesterday, again. We really do not have sufficient storage, now that we have the chickens. That will change this year.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:27 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
Thanks dmyankee. I remembered Charlie Horne, but could not remember Jerry Evans' name. Can't remember Tom's last name either. People really came together. The thing that impressed me most was the relay system that developed to get prescription medicines to people. That was done mostly by volunteer firemen and EMTs. Pharmacies knew when people were due to run out of such things as insulin and those folks were checked on. There was no plan for three weeks with no power. People just adapted.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:56 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,667,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post

There are lots of stories like that. I left $50.00 on the counter at the store to help pay for coffee for linesmen. People baked them bread, cakes ,pie etc and gave them whatever they had in appreciation. One guy commented that it seemed like people were getting by OK without electricity judging from the baked goods and coffee they were getting from folks. I guess he never heard of gas ovens and wood stoves!!

Old 03-09-2011, 09:58 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,667,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
Our horror story for the ice storm of 98 was, we lost power for a total of a day and a half.(not all at the same time) The only contact with the outside world was with satellite tv, run off the generator.
Don't laugh... that scenario WOULD be a siginificant horror story for many people!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine