Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 06:47 PM

468 posts, read 758,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
We are doing the best we can but Maines roads are in really bad shape and there is just not enough $$$ to fix them all.
bill
I think you guys are doing a better job than some other northern states I've been in lately.

Seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 12:13 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,666,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beltrams View Post
I think you guys are doing a better job than some other northern states I've been in lately.

Seriously.
I have a road that might change your mind. Hodsdon road between Yarmouth and Pownal. It's 30 mph on that road now if you're lucky. I bottomed out my shocks three times on that road in two and a half miles. I drive a Tundra with the off road suspension package. I'm sure that road had destroyed the suspension of more than one passenger car this year already.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:23 PM

3,536 posts, read 2,857,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
I have a road that might change your mind. Hodsdon road between Yarmouth and Pownal. It's 30 mph on that road now if you're lucky. I bottomed out my shocks three times on that road in two and a half miles. I drive a Tundra with the off road suspension package. I'm sure that road had destroyed the suspension of more than one passenger car this year already.
Some people don't agree, But I think some towns should go back to gravel on there lesser used roads, One pass with a Road Grader and your road is smooth again, now as for the dust in the summer

bill

Old 03-14-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
Some people don't agree, But I think some towns should go back to gravel on there lesser used roads, One pass with a Road Grader and your road is smooth again, now as for the dust in the summer

bill
I agree to a point. In the winter they don't grade and the dirt roads get real washboard like. The dust is a problem as you say too. They used to oil them but that's out now for a number of reasons. I also think they put calcium chloride on them as that sucks moisture from the air and wets the dust down. Of course you have the corrosion issue from the salt. Dirt roads wouldn't bother me. If I were driving a little light car with bad suspension I might feel differently. They may have to go with concrete again soon as asphalt is getting too expensive. Salt eats concrete so the viscious circle continues.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:41 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,679,925 times
The DOT hangs small orange signs that say;

B
U
M
P

There is a much better indication of the severity of the hazard you are approaching. When you see shock absorbers, hub caps and five gallon plastic buckets strewn around in the road ahead, hit the brakes! These objects have been thrown off of vehicles that preceded you. If you slow down you may avoid losing such objects from your own vehicle.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:56 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
... There is a much better indication of the severity of the hazard you are approaching. When you see shock absorbers, hub caps and five gallon plastic buckets strewn around in the road ahead, hit the brakes! These objects have been thrown off of vehicles that preceded you. If you slow down you may avoid losing such objects from your own vehicle.
When a vehicle spits a shock absorber off to the side of the road that would be a good indication of a significant 'bump'.

I had never thought that a bump could punch a shock absorber up through the frame and into the interior of the vehicle. We recently learned that such is possible.

I also learned that doing this makes a really loud racket.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
When a vehicle spits a shock absorber off to the side of the road that would be a good indication of a significant 'bump'.

I had never thought that a bump could punch a shock absorber up through the frame and into the interior of the vehicle. We recently learned that such is possible.

I also learned that doing this makes a really loud racket.

I had an old Datsun that put both front shocks up through the hood one spring! I shoved them back down by jacking up the car, jammed a 2x4 in there to keep them apart and got 5000 more miles out of it before junking it!

Old 03-15-2011, 08:55 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
I had an old Datsun that put both front shocks up through the hood one spring! I shoved them back down by jacking up the car, jammed a 2x4 in there to keep them apart and got 5000 more miles out of it before junking it!
That was an old car.

This vehicle is at it's third anniversary from it's manufacture date.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:52 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,679,925 times
I know a guy who had a wood stove in his van for heat. He ran some PVC pipe to the windshield for a defroster. He had the wood stove chained down to allow for frost heaves and evasive maneuvers. The stove pipe was directional and on a swivel in case of a tail wind at an intersection.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
I know a guy who had a wood stove in his van for heat. He ran some PVC pipe to the windshield for a defroster. He had the wood stove chained down to allow for frost heaves and evasive maneuvers. The stove pipe was directional and on a swivel in case of a tail wind at an intersection.
A bit extreme if you ask me....and risky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine