Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 11:44 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,515,460 times

Advertisements

Maine Maple Sunday information can be found on the MaineMapleproducers site. Check google. We went to the Bacon Farm in Sidney ME yesterday and were amazed at the number of cars when we arrived. We stood in line for about 20 minutes to get inside the sugarhouse. And it was COLD but fun anyway. The have one wood evaporator and one oil fired one. The smell was terrific. They gave each person a small scoop of vanilla ice cream with syrup over it. Then they had a gift shop where you could purchase the syrup - light - med or dark. We also bought one of their maple whoopie pies. To me it was better than the chocolate ones that are usually very dry. This was moist and delicious. I love going to this type of event as we get to see part of the state - out in the country - we would never visit otherwise. I will say the roads, after leaving the interstate were just horrible with frost heaves. Had to be very careful not to get over in the shoulder and deep ditches on the edge of the roads. Had lunch on the way home at JFK in Waterville then went over to the Waterville Mardens. I have to say I was very impressed with their Mardens. It's so much nicer, cleaner and more well stocked than the one in Bangor. I will hit it again on our next trip on our way to NH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 07:57 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,149,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
It should be next month! 36 Degrees at Merrifield Farm in Gorham. Cars packed North Gorham Road near the farm and long lines everywhere. I hope the farmers did well.

Oh yeah, me too! Tell ya what, that Maple Taffy is THE BEST THING ever! Since yesterday, I have eaten way too much of it.

Merrifield sure was packed, and it was freezing. Of course, the New Yorker here immediately thought 'this could have been better organized, the food service was very inefficient'.

But that Maple Taffy....all by itself it was worth the trip...

Old 03-28-2011, 11:31 PM

326 posts, read 431,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
Maine Maple Sunday information can be found on the MaineMapleproducers site. Check google. We went to the Bacon Farm in Sidney ME yesterday and were amazed at the number of cars when we arrived. We stood in line for about 20 minutes to get inside the sugarhouse. And it was COLD but fun anyway. The have one wood evaporator and one oil fired one. The smell was terrific. They gave each person a small scoop of vanilla ice cream with syrup over it. Then they had a gift shop where you could purchase the syrup - light - med or dark. We also bought one of their maple whoopie pies. To me it was better than the chocolate ones that are usually very dry. This was moist and delicious. I love going to this type of event as we get to see part of the state - out in the country - we would never visit otherwise. I will say the roads, after leaving the interstate were just horrible with frost heaves. Had to be very careful not to get over in the shoulder and deep ditches on the edge of the roads. Had lunch on the way home at JFK in Waterville then went over to the Waterville Mardens. I have to say I was very impressed with their Mardens. It's so much nicer, cleaner and more well stocked than the one in Bangor. I will hit it again on our next trip on our way to NH.
Alright Newdaawn...
You got me going, I'll be there next year. Nothing I like more than fresh maple syrup. I can just feel those Lbs coming to papa

Old 03-29-2011, 02:55 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,515,460 times
I just noticed in my previous post that I said we had lunch at JFK in Waterville. Guess my mind was wandering or getting ahead of itself. JFK is the name of the road, we ate at KFC.

Old 03-29-2011, 03:40 PM

191 posts, read 516,642 times
I am having a blast with this Maine tradition. We bought a place up here almost 2 years ago, finally made the move (from FL) last summer and have been learning new "projects" ever since. Decided to try this sugaring on a small scale, and managed to net almost 2 gallons of maple syrup. Have already mailed a few jars south. What's not to love up here!
Today is "Maine Maple Sunday"-dscn1460-640x480-.jpg

Today is "Maine Maple Sunday"-dscn1400-480x640-.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine