Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 11:39 PM

9 posts, read 64,894 times

Advertisements

Is there a good market for elementary teaching jobs in Maine? I am from Texas and my sister and I were considering looking into Maine. However, it seems from what I am reading on the forum that Maine does not like outsiders. Especially ones that have no connection to their state? It feels disheartening. Any advise would be welcomed. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2007, 08:25 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,421,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monica_cam View Post
Is there a good market for elementary teaching jobs in Maine? I am from Texas and my sister and I were considering looking into Maine. However, it seems from what I am reading on the forum that Maine does not like outsiders. Especially ones that have no connection to their state? It feels disheartening. Any advise would be welcomed. Thanks.
That's not true, I suspect. What area of Texas are you in? We are north 59 from Houston. Everyone is skeptical and cautious of everyone in our neck of the woods. With such a high crime rate, we have to be watching our back at all times. It's not that way in Maine. Sure, the people we move in among will have to get to know us and will take a little time to get a feel for our intentions, but once they realize who we are, I'm sure they'll be most welcoming. This is the feeling we got from everyone we were in contact with when we visited last March on our town searching tour of the area. We told everyone what we were looking for, and they were all OVERLY helpful and encouraging.

I like Forest's analagy of being "mirrored". If you go in expecting to be the outsider, you will be. You will automatically be skeptical of the people and of their intentions. If you go in expecting to be welcomed and become part of the community, THAT is what will happen when you arrive. Most long time residents across the country appreciate anyone who wants to bring their talents to the party in support of the local community.

When we get moved, our first order of business will be to join the Maine Historical Society and begin volunteering our time. We'll also join any other local groups we have common interests with and begin supporting our new neighborhood and community in any way we can. It will be a great way to meet people and to show them our intentions are to JOIN them, not try and inflict change upon their territory. We want to be a part, not infiltrate as spectators.

Old 07-29-2007, 09:32 AM

52 posts, read 204,593 times
It takes time for people to warm up to you anywhere you go. Depends on where in the state, small places and small towns are a little harder to adjust to than the big city, but everywhere I've been in the towns I've lived in, people are really quick to accept...its like southern hospitality with a northern twist. I dont know about the jobs though, but there are alot of schools in the way north that are consolidating two and three into one school, so probably cuts there, but in the southern part of the state its a whole different ballgame.

Old 07-29-2007, 09:50 AM

I saw recently on the Belfast school pages that they are looking for several teachers at Elementary level. My mother was looking, as well, so I've been watching it for her.

MSAD #34 Job Openings

Old 07-29-2007, 11:56 AM

23 posts, read 142,321 times
Default teaching job

Well, this stikes close to home... I was amazed that I could obtain a teaching certificate without having passed PRAXIS tests, but in Augusta when I went to apply I found there were "emergency conditions" that warranted an immediate placement of teachers in the Greater Portland area. The Departmnt of Education said they were having such trouble keeping or hiring teachers in certain disciplines they were relaxing the rules....( see ed. tech position nonsense in Maine schools)...
Trouble came when after I was granted a k-8 special ed certificate and went to the hiring place...(unnamed): the fellow behind the desk was rude, and quite a curmundgeon if I have ever met one- he said that IF I got the job it would be for 24,600 dollars a year (paltry) that would be first offered to a local.
GEEZ

Old 07-29-2007, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loges View Post
Well, this stikes close to home... I was amazed that I could obtain a teaching certificate without having passed PRAXIS tests, but in Augusta when I went to apply I found there were "emergency conditions" that warranted an immediate placement of teachers in the Greater Portland area. The Departmnt of Education said they were having such trouble keeping or hiring teachers in certain disciplines they were relaxing the rules....( see ed. tech position nonsense in Maine schools)...
Trouble came when after I was granted a k-8 special ed certificate and went to the hiring place...(unnamed): the fellow behind the desk was rude, and quite a curmundgeon if I have ever met one- he said that IF I got the job it would be for 24,600 dollars a year (paltry) that would be first offered to a local.
GEEZ
So you could get a teaching certificate without the 4-6 years of education and go right to work? I can't imagine they would pay a full teacher's salary at an entry level with only a certificate. You can get a similar "teacher's aid" cert in Texas and make about that much, but without spending the time officially educating yourself in the field, you probably can't expect equal pay with those who do.

Old 07-29-2007, 01:01 PM

Default i had started masters....

I have 5 years of school, and started my masters in CT.... The teaching wage you refer to was for a bonafide, accredited, teacher. ALL teachers get paid the same first year, and it is abysmal, provided you can obtain a job due to preferential practices.. I know, it sounds weird, why try to get teachers here, (I live in Maine) and then shun them over locals and pay them ****. Dunno. Good luck on 24,600 dollars a year though.

Old 07-29-2007, 01:13 PM

Wow! Scary. My mom makes $48 a year now with 15 yrs exp. She teaches special ed.

Old 07-29-2007, 01:19 PM

15 years? Wow. Thats still not much. Tell me what she started at though. for real, not inflated. Bet it was something like say... 300.00 a week after taxes and benefits were taken out. That's liveable, though, right???

Old 07-29-2007, 01:22 PM

You simply cannot survive on 300.00 a week. Trust me. That CANNOT be adequate compensation for teaching special ed kids. Something is wrong also, when your support teacher (ed tech) is a high school dropout, inexperienced, under-educated, and there for the benefits as a support job to a husband. Trust me, I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine