U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 10:49 PM

12 posts, read 36,542 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

My mother and I will be moving either the end of this year or early in '07. We've narrowed it down to a few states, and Maine is one of them. I was wondering if you could tell me a little about living there or recommend a good area.

We are looking to spend at the most $250K for a house. I would also like to live reasonably near a college or tech school (I'm not currently enrolled, I've been waiting until the move). So maybe somewhere in or close enough to a larger town.

We don't mind snow at all (or we wouldn't be looking to go farther up North!), but I would appreciate a little info on the winters there, just so I can have a little bit better of an understanding.

Hopefully we'll be able to visit in a few months and take a look for ourselves.

TIA!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2006, 04:48 PM

76 posts, read 282,687 times
You will have a very hard time finding a house in your price range if you are looking in southern maine (which is where you are best off if looking to attend higher education). It is very expensive up here, maybe not as expensive as NJ, yet, but it will be.
What other states are you considering?

Old 09-01-2006, 05:16 PM

439 posts, read 631,027 times
The median price of a home in the Portland area is 234K according to the NAR second quarter of this year- the market has slowed, and there are more properties on the market.

Go to realtor.com and type in Portland ME-
There are starter homes from about 180K -220K small but nice capes and ranches. I saw a new colonial in Portland- 3 bedrooms 1.5 baths for 224K. For 225-250K there are many nice homes- not huge and luxury land- but nice.

If you are from Northern NJ expect to bay 80-100% less for a home or townhouse. I am not familar with tech schools in southern Maine- perhaps you should check on line about higher education in Maine- they must have plenty of info on schools.

Old 09-01-2006, 05:34 PM

I have gone to Realtor.com, but I've done so many searches I hardly remember what towns I've looked at!

We are currently also considering VT and NH. Some parts of Maine are inexpensive (not only way up North), but I'm not sure what they're near.

I've included a map of Maine via Realtor.com and circled the area we were looking at. How are things around here? We've seen many houses in our price range. Sorry the image is so small, I'm not sure how to resize it on photobucket.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d6/thewishfire/maine.jpg (broken link)

Old 09-01-2006, 05:59 PM

The area on the map includes Portland up to Brunswick and Bath to downeast Maine- Ellsworth to eastport. Inland to Augusta and Bangor. I would also look at the Bangor area which would be cheaper then the Portland area.
I like the Portland area; that includes South Portland, Westbrook and Gorham.
Brunswick is very nice, and Bath is very charming. Bangor seems to be attracting many people these days as well.
What part of NJ are you in?

Old 09-01-2006, 07:07 PM

I'm in Northern NJ, Passaic County.

Old 09-01-2006, 10:14 PM

20,859 posts, read 24,882,596 times
We're hoping to move, too, and right now Bangor is #1 on our list of prospective places. There are skads of houses under $250k in Bangor, and there is also a branch of the University of Maine.

You might also check Presque Isle and Fort Kent up north.

Old 09-07-2006, 06:18 PM

26 posts, read 177,081 times
There are several branches of the U Maine system, if you go to the University site it will tell you where all 11 (i think) schools are located. There are several excellent colleges in the Bangor area, as well as Waterville/Augusta. The housing costs will cover a wide range, so you would have little trouble finding something that will fit your budget. Our Tech. colleges are also very good, they have a wide range of programs and offer degree programs that most people are not immediately aware of. You can live either in the *city....or be out in the *country, by driving as little as 10 mins ) You will find the coastal areas more expensive, beautiful.....again.it will depend on your priorities.

Old 09-09-2006, 02:23 AM

46 posts, read 135,986 times
Mark S you said you are looking to move bangor. that is also our first choice for relocation. where would you be moving from? we are in atlanta with 2 small kids and can't stand it here. let me know if find out anything about bangor good or bad. I have been doing a lot of research-right now I am sold. we are going upto visit anld look at homes in dec.

Old 09-09-2006, 05:10 AM

If from Northern NJ- I would think that all of Maine would be much slower and less hectic for you- the same holds true for someone in the Atlanta Ga, area.

Housing; median SFH price in northern NJ close to 500K- in Maines largest city Portland, median price around 240K- about half.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>