Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 07:10 AM

1,555 posts, read 2,520,476 times

Advertisements

Here is a chart of Income tax rates, I can't understand how some folks
feel that Maine is a low tax state.....unless your in the poverty level.

Maine Income Tax Rates - Maine & other state tax rates information. ME tax calculator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 07:39 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,201,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrasser View Post
I can't imagine anyone stating Maine was a low tax state. A few years ago it was the highest taxed state in the country. But don't worry. We are fast approaching the point where over 50% will pay no income taxes. When that happens, there truely will be a free lunch... voted for by the majority. Kinda like the reverse of taxation without representation, it will be representation without taxation!!!!!!

Old 04-20-2011, 11:57 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,320,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
But don't worry. We are fast approaching the point where over 50% will pay no income taxes.
In Maine? How can I avoid paying income taxes in Maine? How can I be part of the no pay 50% in Maine?

Old 04-20-2011, 11:58 AM

326 posts, read 433,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrasser View Post

Maine Income Tax Rates - Maine & other state tax rates information. ME tax calculator.
You think that's high?
Try living in California

Old 04-20-2011, 12:05 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
I am on a pension. For the past 5 years my Dw has been working p/t in a grocery store. After deductions and exemptions, our AGI was not high enough to pay income taxes. Granted that finally changed this past year, when she was promoted to f/t. The increase in our income has now caused us to begin paying income taxes [barely].

As compared to where we have lived previously, our vehicle taxes moving to Maine were reduced a great deal. Road taxes, Registration fees, license plate fees, property taxes [here called excise tax], then taxes on each fee; our experience has been that owning a vehicle in Maine is much less expensive than the places where we have lived previously.

We have owned homes in four other places before we moved to Maine. Our experience with real estate taxes has been that we pay much less now for our home in Maine, than what we paid previously for any of our other homes.

Clearly Maine has a depressed economy.

Clearly moving to Maine to find economic prosperity might be a mistake.

As NMLM points out frequently Maine tends to have a high 'tax burden' [even though individual taxes tend to be low].

None of this is contrary to us retirees who wish to bring our pensions with us, to live in a low cost-of-living rural state, and pay less taxes. Who knows maybe our pensions may help to stir up the local economy.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:02 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
In Maine? How can I avoid paying income taxes in Maine? How can I be part of the no pay 50% in Maine?
Give up your pension and take two part-time jobs, say, one at Dunkin Donuts and the other at one of the many retail store chains.

No, wait...hold on. You'll still pay taxes and if the combined salaries happen to bump you into a higher tax bracket than what each individual job takes out, you may be required to send money in.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:08 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,201,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
Give up your pension and take two part-time jobs, say, one at Dunkin Donuts and the other at one of the many retail store chains.

No, wait...hold on. You'll still pay taxes and if the combined salaries happen to bump you into a higher tax bracket than what each individual job takes out, you may be required to send money in.
I might have misspoken. I meant that we are almost to the 50% level of people not paying FEDERAL income taxes. I suspect that the bar for not paying income taxes in Maine could be more difficult to get under. After all, poverty is relative.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:13 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,719,353 times
I think while we argue over who is paying what, the real damage is being done on the other side... where is it going and why are they spending so much..

We need to fix the spending problem! Then we can argue whats fare and who should pay the most ect..

Old 04-20-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post

AND.... I'd be taking a couple of jobs away from a rightfully needing Mainer so an old coot can get a little income. I don't think so.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:31 PM

Can you still deduct your state taxes from your Federal income tax? I don't know the ins and outs of any of this. I buy the H&R tax program; I put in the numbers; it tells me what they owe me or I owe them. God only knows how this works. The last time I tried to do it myself, I got a call from the local IRS office that I was being audited because I checked the "final return" box. It seemed like the final return for the year, since I know people who file quarterly. It actually means that I am dead.

When they discovered that I wasn't really dead and that I only had my withholding and a couple of certificates of deposit, they were not so hot on auditing me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine