Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 05:23 PM

37 posts, read 82,612 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm new to Caribou - just moved here this week but haven't started my new job here yet. What are the good restauraunts / bars / pubs in the area? I'm not really into the bar scene that much but am just looking to get out of the house a bit!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 05:47 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,199,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormguy80 View Post
Hi, I'm new to Caribou - just moved here this week but haven't started my new job here yet. What are the good restauraunts / bars / pubs in the area? I'm not really into the bar scene that much but am just looking to get out of the house a bit!
Ah, there are no good restaurants in Caribou. The closest thing would be the Caribou Motor Lodge. Reno's also serves meals and makes a pretty good pizza. Eureka Hall is the name of a restaurant up in Stockholm that was the best in the area (in my opinion) and I believe there was a little pub/pizza place on the bottom floor. I'm saying "was" because I'm not sure if it is still there. Most years it was seasonal. Then of course there is Burger Boy, which also makes meals. Don't know much about the bars in the area.

Anyone remember Ma Dudley's. There was a good restaurant.

Old 04-20-2011, 05:58 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
Ah, there are no good restaurants in Caribou. The closest thing would be the Caribou Motor Lodge. Reno's also serves meals and makes a pretty good pizza. Eureka Hall is the name of a restaurant up in Stockholm that was the best in the area (in my opinion) and I believe there was a little pub/pizza place on the bottom floor. I'm saying "was" because I'm not sure if it is still there. Most years it was seasonal. Then of course there is Burger Boy, which also makes meals. Don't know much about the bars in the area.

ucef's (something like that) seems to come to mind

the place at caribou motor inn is pretty good

Old 04-20-2011, 06:16 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
ucef's (something like that) seems to come to mind

the place at caribou motor inn is pretty good
Yocefs (can't remember the spelling either) has been closed for about 15 years or so. Shortly after the base closed back in the 90's. They tore down the building and built a bank there.

Friends have told me lately that the "new" Napoli's is pretty good after their expansion. Fredricks has good pizza and is a decent place to eat, nothing fancy, but good food. Reno's has a decent pizza and good food as well. I don't know if the "Par and Grill" is still open, but if they are they have good food as well. The Jade Palace serves decent Asian food, and had some of the best sesame Chicken I have had anywhere (which is saying a lot from a guy who really doesn't like Asian food). Mackenzie's Subs used to have good stuffl, I did like Cindy's on the other side of town better though. Believe it or not the Bowl-a-drome is decent food.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:09 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,900,569 times
Quote:

Sure do remember Ma Dudleys. That was in Mapleton.
I have to strongly disagree about no good places to eat......I'd start with the Greenhouse at the Caribou Inn and Convention Center. It's outstanding and has a very diverse and interesting menu.
Eureka Hall is still open and is also top notch (has won many awards). They do have a really good pub downstairs. It's half an hour north of Caribou. Napolis is right in downtown Caribou and is a good Italian restaurant; it's not quite as expensive and has almost as good a menu (including awesome pizza). They just expanded and now have a big bar area, but we haven't been in yet to see all that they've done. We also like Far East Kitchen, which serves authentic Korean, Japanese, etc. and is very good. You just have to get there before 6:00 as they close early. Renos and Burger Boy have been really popular for 50 years. Renos is a family place.... cheap but good! Burger Boy is a classic "right out of the 50s" joint; they put on classic car shows once a week starting in May and serve good food too. Farm Bakery has all home-made soups, sandwhiches and baked goods (which are awesome). It's a popular place to just hang out and read or meet folks. The Par and Grill is another family place (also has a popular bar). Their claim to fame is probably their golf simulator which is pretty popular. Tim Hortons is a big Canadian chain-- it's a bakery and lunch place that's open all day. It's also a popular social place to sit and chew the fat.
The Castle, just across the border in Perth Andover, has to be one of the best restaurants/inns north of Portland. It's quite the location too and definitely worth the trip.
I guess that's enough for now---should be able to find a good meal somewhere in there!

Old 04-21-2011, 03:16 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Yocefs (can't remember the spelling either) has been closed for about 15 years or so. Shortly after the base closed back in the 90's. They tore down the building and built a bank there.

Friends have told me lately that the "new" Napoli's is pretty good after their expansion. Fredricks has good pizza and is a decent place to eat, nothing fancy, but good food. Reno's has a decent pizza and good food as well. I don't know if the "Par and Grill" is still open, but if they are they have good food as well. The Jade Palace serves decent Asian food, and had some of the best sesame Chicken I have had anywhere (which is saying a lot from a guy who really doesn't like Asian food). Mackenzie's Subs used to have good stuffl, I did like Cindy's on the other side of town better though. Believe it or not the Bowl-a-drome is decent food.
is cindy's the diner on 164?

yucefs has been closed for 15 years?? wow, time does fly

I mostly stay in presque Isle when in the county- (the caribou motor inn started charging over $90.00 a night, even off season, which i think is ridiculous)

jade palace is good, been there many times

Old 04-21-2011, 06:25 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,096,282 times
Bydand and maineguy I'm so glad to see you both chime in and combat the "no good restaurants" post... feet on the ground, real experience makes a BIG difference. I haven't been through up there in a while, but know darn well there's some great places up there.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:36 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,094,896 times
We ate at most of those places back when we had reason to drive north on a regular basis. To add a little variety, there was a fabulous German restaurant in Canada a few minutes across the border from Limestone. Can't remember the name now, but we walked in and rolled out.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:11 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,199,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
Bydand and maineguy I'm so glad to see you both chime in and combat the "no good restaurants" post... feet on the ground, real experience makes a BIG difference. I haven't been through up there in a while, but know darn well there's some great places up there.
I don't want to burst your bubble, but I lived in Aroostook county for 13 years, three in Caribou. If I had my druthers I'd still be living in Caribou, I loved it.

HOWEVER, of the many things I loved about Caribou, I can't say the restaurants were on the top 10 of my list. Good, is a relative term. I lived in the D.C. area before retiring back to Maine. There is nothing in Caribou that would be in the top 50% in D.C. (where I hated living). I listed the BEST restaurants in Caribou area(IMHO), the best being Eureka Hall, second the Caribou Motor Inn.

To the OP, you'll find many things to love about living in Caribou, the restaurants will not be a worry.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:17 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,096,282 times
Quote:
I don't want to burst your bubble...
oh please. You're not "burst(ing) my bubble".... I said it's nice to see people with real experience commenting, rather than leaving a blanket statement like "Ah, there are no good restaurants in Caribou" as the end all be all. It's not about you. We've seen time and time again on this forum that personal experience matters a great deal. Both Bydand and maineguy's experiences are relevant, personal, and recent.

Last edited by mollysmiles; 04-21-2011 at 07:18 AM.. Reason: ok, maybe not Scott's, it's been a couple of years! :D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine