Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 07:12 AM

25 posts, read 75,866 times

Advertisements

"If you dont wait 3-5 years to buy a house, you're an idiot." [quoted: April 2006]
(NOT MY QUOTE, JUST ONE I REMEMBERED READING REGARDING A REPORT ABOUT THE HOUSING BUBBLE)

Please note, this is not anything regarding trolling, but just an FYI.

There is a RUMOR that we have currently passed a peak of what is being called a "housing bubble" where people have had the luxury of, when having their houses and properties reassessed to be worth more than what they really are. A point that another source states that you can follow the price of houses by following the S&P 500, and according to Housing Trends and looking at the S&P 500, it has started to make a turn for the downward.

IF this is true, then this is not just an incident that affects places that are ridiculously high like Sacramento, California, but from all over the US. Starting in the late spring, houses and land have been coming out, in my opinion, higher than usual. Honestly, I have never taken notice before, but I am trying to observe for sale signs as I drive by people's homes.

With that said, this is what I have noticed, for fact: People's housing signs have had a change since this late spring, they all say NEW PRICE, PRICED RIGHT, REDUCED PRICE. Which, is nice to see, for some houses are WAY to over priced. When a trailer can sell for over 100k on a few acres adjacent to spring flood marsh land, it makes me concerned (For example).

So anyway, all I am trying to say is, moving to Maine? Great! But you may want to wait a few years and see what the housing market does...many people suggest rent for now and militantly watch the house prices.

P.S. Falling prices due to high interest rates coming soon...if S&P 500 predicted trends are accurate.

P.S.S. Please also research this, if you have no patience, just do a "Housing Bubble" search on youtube. Lots of opinions there. Thanks

YouTube - PBS NewsHour Expanding Housing Crisis 20070816 1of2

YouTube - THE HOUSING CRASH IS ON!!! TELL ME CAN YOU FEEL IT!

Last edited by ALToons; 09-01-2007 at 07:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2007, 08:52 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
old orchard beach is a great place to visit, so is kennebunkport/kennebunk beach area,,,then head north to brunswick/bath(north of portland) get on rte one(in brunswick),,,go thru bath, wiscasset, exit off in damariscotta,,,go thru town take rte 130 to bristol, then pemaquid area,,you can drive right to a lighhouse(pemaquid point lighthouse) with the ocean right in front of you,,and walk on the rocks,,(one of my fav places)
drive back to rte one,,,up the coast to thomaston then rockland, then camden, then belfast all pretty towns,,,

just my two cents, if i were visiting,,

if you wanted to go camping in the woods and see a moose and/or deer,,id head to rangely area, or moosehead lake area.
both are beautiful areas!! mountains, lakes, wildlife, and amenities!

Old 09-01-2007, 12:30 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,360,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
You have to re-schedule.

You need to visit Unity 21 - 23 September.

The Common Ground Country Fair

Just a head's up. Common Ground Fair is nice, but its not for everyone. Its all organic food, do not expect to find ANY junk food of any kind there, not even a soft drink.
I remember taking our daughter when she was young and thinking she would be starved by the time we got back home. She found a vendor serving steamed mussels, so she was in 7th heaven.

Old 09-01-2007, 12:51 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,418,445 times
Now that sounds wonderful to me. We try to eat healthy the majority of the time and have taught our children the same. I learned when they were young if this is the way they are taught to eat, they never miss the junk. To my kids, a snack is fruit or WW crackers and peanut butter. I've learned a LOT about modification in our children's diet. There is a healthy substitute for almost anything. My kids even love spinach and brocolli - go figure!

Old 09-01-2007, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALToons View Post
"If you dont wait 3-5 years to buy a house, you're an idiot." [quoted: April 2006]
(NOT MY QUOTE, JUST ONE I REMEMBERED READING REGARDING A REPORT ABOUT THE HOUSING BUBBLE)

Please note, this is not anything regarding trolling, but just an FYI.

There is a RUMOR that we have currently passed a peak of what is being called a "housing bubble" where people have had the luxury of, when having their houses and properties reassessed to be worth more than what they really are. A point that another source states that you can follow the price of houses by following the S&P 500, and according to Housing Trends and looking at the S&P 500, it has started to make a turn for the downward.

IF this is true, then this is not just an incident that affects places that are ridiculously high like Sacramento, California, but from all over the US. Starting in the late spring, houses and land have been coming out, in my opinion, higher than usual. Honestly, I have never taken notice before, but I am trying to observe for sale signs as I drive by people's homes.

With that said, this is what I have noticed, for fact: People's housing signs have had a change since this late spring, they all say NEW PRICE, PRICED RIGHT, REDUCED PRICE. Which, is nice to see, for some houses are WAY to over priced. When a trailer can sell for over 100k on a few acres adjacent to spring flood marsh land, it makes me concerned (For example).

So anyway, all I am trying to say is, moving to Maine? Great! But you may want to wait a few years and see what the housing market does...many people suggest rent for now and militantly watch the house prices.

P.S. Falling prices due to high interest rates coming soon...if S&P 500 predicted trends are accurate.

P.S.S. Please also research this, if you have no patience, just do a "Housing Bubble" search on youtube. Lots of opinions there. Thanks

YouTube - PBS NewsHour Expanding Housing Crisis 20070816 1of2

YouTube - THE HOUSING CRASH IS ON!!! TELL ME CAN YOU FEEL IT!
hey, its a buyers market now,,,lets just go on the premise,,,the housing bubble burst,,,what better time to buy?? more inventory than buyers,,its a buyers market,,
buyers have always set the market,,,a few years ago,,the interest rates were very low, and because money was cheap house values went up, more folks could now buy a home,,instead of renting,
all markets go up and down,,,the market is just correcting,,, and we hear every day about the doom and gloom of the forecloser market,,well, folks got sucked in to arms (adjustable rate mortgages) and when they went to fixed,,the rate jumped a few points,,, and thier payment went up,,THATS THE CHANCE YOU TAKE WITH AN ARM!!!!
we hear doom and gloom,,so lets go on the premise,,of foreclosures,,my god,,what better time to invest or buy a fixer-upper than when its at auction or forclosure???????????????????
the average (median) maine home selling price is around 180,000 maybe a bit higher,
lets say on a conservative average a hundred homes sell everyday, (in maine)thats 18 million dollars a day!!
i can see everyday what inventory has "sold" and "pending" on the maine mls
yes some homes are 70,000, but also some are still selling for over a million,

to be very very conservative, i'll use the same 100 figure to include land-lots,
and the 18,000,000 doesnt include for sale by owners, or lease with option to purchase or auctions,

as interest rates rise,,,its just common sense more folks rent than purchase..

Old 09-01-2007, 05:30 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
Just a head's up. Common Ground Fair is nice, but its not for everyone. Its all organic food, do not expect to find ANY junk food of any kind there, not even a soft drink. I remember taking our daughter when she was young and thinking she would be starved by the time we got back home. She found a vendor serving steamed mussels, so she was in 7th heaven.
True.

The Common Ground Fair is not an amusement park.

On the other hand, at THE FAIR there are dozens of vendors selling food and drink. Maine produced and organic foods. There is no reason to leave the Fair hungry.

So many county 'fairs' have become amusement parks, and have very little to do with Ag and crafts anymore.

The Common Ground Fair is hosted by the Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Assoc. It is THE organic certifying organization for the entire state of Maine.

Anyone interested in producing crops without poisons will be in attendance.

Anyone who raises livestock organically will be there.

Anyone who has a woodlot and needs to keep up-to-date on how to manage his woodlot will likely be there. Most of Maine is forested!

The MOFGA fair also does not allow coffee to be sold on the Fair grounds, because coffee is not Maine produced.

If you attend you will see Maine farmers who work there land using oxen-teams, horse-teams. You will see wool clipping, carding, dying, spinning, and weaving. You will see people attempting to live closer to self-sustainably.

Some of these folks live this way year-around, some live off-the-grid. While others do these things as their hobbies. All are welcome.

Old 09-01-2007, 07:19 PM

Quote:
True.

The Common Ground Fair is not an amusement park.

On the other hand, at THE FAIR there are dozens of vendors selling food and drink. Maine produced and organic foods. There is no reason to leave the Fair hungry.

So many county 'fairs' have become amusement parks, and have very little to do with Ag and crafts anymore.

The Common Ground Fair is hosted by the Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Assoc. It is THE organic certifying organization for the entire state of Maine.

Anyone interested in producing crops without poisons will be in attendance.

Anyone who raises livestock organically will be there.

Anyone who has a woodlot and needs to keep up-to-date on how to manage his woodlot will likely be there. Most of Maine is forested!

The MOFGA fair also does not allow coffee to be sold on the Fair grounds, because coffee is not Maine produced.

If you attend you will see Maine farmers who work there land using oxen-teams, horse-teams. You will see wool clipping, carding, dying, spinning, and weaving. You will see people attempting to live closer to self-sustainably.

Some of these folks live this way year-around, some live off-the-grid. While others do these things as their hobbies. All are welcome.

good post forest!

get real...get maine!

Old 09-01-2007, 09:05 PM
JMX

313 posts, read 1,174,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
So now I have a trip to Maine during the first two weeks of September. I will be based in Bath. Have some family there but will have a lot of time to myself (and a rental car). I would like to see the area and get an idea about the communities and neighborhoods. This is just a first trip. Not going to make any big changes here. I plan to come back soon, for later trips.

I would like to see places where one doesn't have to drive a car everywhere. A town where one could walk and bike to places, stores, etc. A detached house with a small yard. I like to help and enjoy my neighbors. I would like to find a nice church and participate.
I visited Maine last year at this time (just after Labor Day), and I think it was really a great time of year to see the state. It seemed like most of the tourists and summer people were gone...I felt like I had Washington County all to myself. The only exception was I had a hard time finding a place to stay in Eastport because they had the Salmon Festival going on that weekend. It's held on the first weekend after Labor Day. I guess the festival attracts a lot tourists (like it did for me), but the town certainly wasn't overcrowded by any means.

Eastport Area Chamber of Commerce

Enjoy your trip!

Old 09-03-2007, 05:23 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,517,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMX View Post
I visited Maine last year at this time (just after Labor Day), and I think it was really a great time of year to see the state. It seemed like most of the tourists and summer people were gone...I felt like I had Washington County all to myself. The only exception was I had a hard time finding a place to stay in Eastport because they had the Salmon Festival going on that weekend. It's held on the first weekend after Labor Day. I guess the festival attracts a lot tourists (like it did for me), but the town certainly wasn't overcrowded by any means.

Eastport Area Chamber of Commerce

Enjoy your trip!
LOL... I will get to experience the Salmon Festival for the first time. I had no problem finding a room. Did you try Harris Point?

Eastport, Maine Area Information Directory

Old 09-03-2007, 05:36 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,652,361 times
Quote:
It is really a very different kind of fair.

We love it!
Well, since I will be leaving on Sept 20 after work, and pushing HARD to get there, looks like I WILL make the fair! and I am SO EXCITED!! that sound so much like my kind of thing!

Are you going to be there with a booth or something?? I'd love to stop by and visit...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine