Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 06:58 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,189,487 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

Yes, this is yet another "Moving to Maine" thread from an outsider. I appolgize if this is annoying. But I see that this question is popular in this forum. Clearly Maine is attractive to people from all over who are looking for a better alternative.

Me? Second generation Washington DC native. Grew up in Silver Spring MD where the family got set up after Dad got home from WWII in 1945. Now in Arlington VA - have been back and forth across the Potomac several times over the years. Late 50's and retired. US Navy (civilian) 39 years. I thought that this was going to be the place where I retired and enjoyed life. But things didn't turn out that way.

This place is just too nuts - people all stressed out plus the "ME FIRST!!, GET OUT OF MY WAY!!, EVERYTHING FOR ME!!" condition that the local population has devolved into. I had an epiphany a couple of months ago when going to nearby Tysons Corner retailing area. Mile after mile of huge stores piled one against the other. Individuals in their 8000 lb suv's cutting each other off in traffic, blaring their horns and fighting over parking spaces, so they can buy more stuff! Yikes!

(I know, I know, you're probably thinking, "Tell us how you really feel" )

But anyways, my family has always had a connection and fondness for Maine. And during my days with the Navy, I especially enjoyed traveling to the shipyards and Navy bases in New England. I feel right at home in the people and values there. I am skilled in several in demand crafts. I love craft, and am the grandson of a man who was a steamfitter and boilermaker who maintained steam engines for the railroads that came into Washington DC's Union Station and the Washington Terminal Company roundhouse. He was my greatest influence. For the Navy I installed test instrumentation for sea trials.

So now I have a trip to Maine during the first two weeks of September. I will be based in Bath. Have some family there but will have a lot of time to myself (and a rental car). I would like to see the area and get an idea about the communities and neighborhoods. This is just a first trip. Not going to make any big changes here. I plan to come back soon, for later trips.

I would like to see places where one doesn't have to drive a car everywhere. A town where one could walk and bike to places, stores, etc. A detached house with a small yard. I like to help and enjoy my neighbors. I would like to find a nice church and participate.

Thank You for your reading this! Too much information I very much appreciate your thoughts or ideas you might have about where I might visit in September, during this first seroius excursion to Maine.

Best Regards,

Quiet Walker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 07:21 PM

46 posts, read 141,360 times
We just moved to Bangor from Atlanta for many of the same reasons. We love it here. We live close to downtown, close enough to walk. A lot of people ride their bikes to work during the summer. We can walk to the park, downtown and the river. It is perfect for us. We bought a 100 yr old house in a great neighborhood that we are working on renovating.
Good luck.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:20 PM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times
You have to re-schedule.

You need to visit Unity 21 - 23 September.

The Common Ground Country Fair

Old 08-01-2007, 07:50 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,654,148 times
cool! that is about when I was planning my trip up... maybe I can move it back a day and make the last day of the fair!

Old 08-01-2007, 08:05 AM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times
It is really a very different kind of fair.

We love it!

Old 08-01-2007, 10:15 AM

165 posts, read 415,153 times
Nope. Not that I would ever argue with Forest (well, maybe I am...... You need to see Biddeford-Saco-Old Orchard Beach.

I just moved here 6 weeks ago from the Bangor area. Bangor is lovely, Orono (where we lived - about 4 miles out) is Mayberry, and just beautiful - but I think I like it better here. The living situation you described is exactly what I have, but it's also close to Portland, and all that the magnificient city has to offer. Plus, B/S/OOB is much closer to NH, which has some wonderful places to visit.

Gosh, to be honest, I don't really know if there's any part of Maine that isn't a little bit of heaven on earth... Nice dilemma, though.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:56 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,718,883 times
You will be in a great position to see most of the areas that what I think would fit probably what your looking for. Portland Maine pop 65000 is a great livable city on the ocean, with more restaurants per sq mile other than Sanfransisco and plenty of window shopping and cafe's it has a great feel. plus it has local sports teams, a civic center, and has big plans for the future developing the waterfront. The surrounding towns outside of it are nice also Yarmouth, Falmouth, and Cumberland are small towns north of the city towards bath. drive rt 88 N of Portland to check out Cumberland foreside and Falmouth foreside. (the area along the ocean)

Continue down east(Maine term to describe the winds the blew NE along the coast of Maine) on rt 1 from Bath and feel free to drive down any of the side rts the will bring you down along the many different Peninsula’s. Damariscotta, Boothbay (touristy), Wiscasset, and further “down east” to Camden and Rockport areas are all beautiful coastal maine towns. But coming from MD I am going to assume you’ll have good buying power really take your time to check out the Portland areas. It may be fast paste by Maine standards but believe me its just right!. P.S. I spend some time in the DC area living in the city for a while and then northern Va. I was told I wasn’t allowed to move to MD

Old 08-01-2007, 06:15 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,753,083 times
Common Ground Fair rocks!!!!!
I remember when it was at the fairgrounds outside of Augusta- never been to the new site.
Have a veggie kabob for me please!!!

Old 08-01-2007, 07:26 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,189,487 times
Default Thank You for your replys to my question

Thank You to everyone who provided informative, appealing and thoughtful replies to my question. I am looking forward to exploring all your suggestions. The community tips are very enticing - I _will_ be looking around those places. And the Common Ground Fair looks wonderful. If I don't get to visit this year then I hope to as a resident next year. And veggie cabobs, OH My! Where can I get one?! Thank You one and all. Perhaps I might get to meet you all some day soon.

Best Regards,

Quiet Walker

BTW We have a pretty nice unexpected fair here in urban Arlington VA

Arlington County Fair

Old 08-31-2007, 11:43 AM

263 posts, read 616,426 times
Default Day trips

Quiet Walker

How are your trip plans coming together? You picked a great month to visit Maine.

Over the summer while I was in Belfast, Maine visiting family...I did day trips.
I chose a town and planned lunch through dinner in the area.

My trips were to Bath, Wiscasset, Rockland, Ellsworth, Bucksport, Newcastle, Saco, Damariscotta, all of Washington county (my favorite trip) and of coarse MDI. Each place was great and on the coast. I had a great summer vacation.

Belfast is my home town and I would love to relocate back home. But if I can get back to Maine...that is enough for me right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine