Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 07:53 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,100,311 times

Advertisements

lol....nope, no grandkids....and it better stay that way for a long while!! lol....I was referring to Forest's remark about "ya-ya" meaning grandmother

DP, my parents owned a t-shirt, clothing store at the head of the breakwater....the ship would have been docked at the breakwater and I can see why he'd have difficulty keeping the years straight...I relate time to the music that I was listening to!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 09:04 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,519,538 times
Ha-ha you had me scared for a minute...thought all your guys were too youmg to be making you a grandma.

Old 11-04-2007, 06:59 AM

34 posts, read 86,303 times
Well...my husband made his trip down east to get a feel for the different towns and he has settled on Eastport. He has also convinced me of its many good points to having a second home..so wish us luck because he came back with his eye on a certain house. Any input,info,advice and warnings on the town would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 11-04-2007, 07:05 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,972,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpironman61 View Post
Well...my husband made his trip down east to get a feel for the different towns and he has settled on Eastport. He has also convinced me of its many good points to having a second home..so wish us luck because he came back with his eye on a certain house. Any input,info,advice and warnings on the town would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Several of us either live or have second homes in Eastport. Which house is your hubby thinking about? We love it there.

Old 11-04-2007, 07:49 AM

He liked one on Boynton St....said it is next to the Court house.Is that a good location? Any advice on how to manage a home there in your absence? Its hard to imagine all the little details..

Old 11-04-2007, 08:02 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,972,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpironman61 View Post
He liked one on Boynton St....said it is next to the Court house.Is that a good location? Any advice on how to manage a home there in your absence? Its hard to imagine all the little details..

Our home is also on Boynton St. I think I know which one you mean - on the corner of Boynton and High across from the City Building (the old grade school)? We are in WV now and we have keys given to some of the neighbors who go in and check the house after a storm or weather event. We have really good neighbors on Boynton St. It's a good neighborhood with good people as is most of Eastport.

There's also a company called House Checkers that will check on your home for a fee but I don't know how much it would be - we chose to go with neighbors.

We have a maintanence contract with Dead River for any problems that might come up with the boiler/furnace/oil and we have a weather watcher light on in a window that's highly visible to all the neighbors in case of an outtage that occurs with our furnace. We have talked to lots of people on how to maintain an Eastport home during the winter when we're not there and have taken all their suggestions to heart. After all, they know what can happen. We have a network of people that know if they drive by and see the weather watcher light on to contact one of the neighbors with keys. Not just neighbors but the owners of the IGA who drive past every day, one of the local realtors, the local antique store guy, most of the local Masonic lodge members including Mollysmiles uncle drive by and eyeball the house for anything out of place. Even the retired owner of the mustard mill and the owner of the hardware store check for us. We feel quite confident that if something is wrong, someone will call.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:40 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,421,956 times
Corgis, that is just the kind of community we so long to find in our move to Maine. Here, the folks down the street would just break in a steal us blind if anything ever happened to let them think they could! I love the fact that "Maine" still exists! It's the exception these days!!

Old 11-04-2007, 08:51 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
Corgis, that is just the kind of community we so long to find in our move to Maine. Here, the folks down the street would just break in a steal us blind if anything ever happened to let them think they could! I love the fact that "Maine" still exists! It's the exception these days!!
Around here a large portion of the lots are owned by non-resident owners.

So it is common to see trailer pads with hook-ups and no trailer; or a trailer hooked-up with nobody there except for on the weekends or a few weeks each summer; or a small cabin that is only occupied for a few weeks in the summer.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:52 AM

Wow...thanks for all that wonderful info and reassurances. Yes it is the house you described, #40 Boynton...He realy liked it and I trust his judgement so I am hoping all goes well and we will spend our first summer up there. Wish us luck.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:53 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
I have house keys for several different houses in the neighborhood. Plus car keys if they leave their vehicle when they are gone. I also had keys to several different houses when we lived in West Michigan as well. They also have a great sense of community and what "Neighbors" really mean. I put that in quotation marks because a neighbor there isn't just people who live close as measured by distance. Kind of like it is here in Washburn as well. When I am gone during the summer, if the yard get a bit long, there is an Eagle scout that lives close and he will bring over his mower so I don't have to do it when I get back. When my wife had our first child we had a BIG dump of snow overnight. When I left the hospital I knew I had to get a few things for her and the baby from the house and clear the driveway while home. I drove up to the drive and it was a clean as a whistle, even salted and sanded. Somebody who saw us arrive at the hospital, drove 10 miles early in the morning to clear the drive so I wouldn't have to. It took me about a week to find out who it was. That is a neighbor, that is what you can find in Maine, and a very few places else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine