Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 10:51 AM

1 posts, read 3,538 times

Advertisements

So, I am curious as how Lobstermen in Maine make a living? And I'm not talking about the guys with the 60foot boats that go 100's of miles off shore for a haul; I am talking about the guys with the 20 - 40 foot boats with 800 traps fishing close to shore... how do you make a living? And how can I do it?
I recently moved to Maine. My father-in-law has an old 30footer just sitting there. I know he would let me use it for trapping lobster, but I am green at all of this. Anyone know where I can get started, or if it would be a lose cause for me to attempt this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 11:21 AM

885 posts, read 1,494,340 times
I have a friend that has her license......it ain't easy. You have to stern man for a lobster boat captain for 2 or 3 years before you can apply for your own license. Trust me it's REAL hard work!!

Old 05-02-2011, 12:34 PM

1,594 posts, read 4,094,896 times
My brother lobsters part-time with an old friend. It is not easy. Depending on where you live, getting a license can take years. As a recent resident, you will not be welcomed into the lobstering community, and in fact you may be "actively" discouraged.

Best bet is to find a job as a stern man for a lobsterman, see if it's really something you want to pursue and what will be involved.

Old 05-02-2011, 01:47 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,032,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineoramic View Post
So, I am curious as how Lobstermen in Maine make a living? And I'm not talking about the guys with the 60foot boats that go 100's of miles off shore for a haul; I am talking about the guys with the 20 - 40 foot boats with 800 traps fishing close to shore... how do you make a living? And how can I do it?
I recently moved to Maine. My father-in-law has an old 30footer just sitting there. I know he would let me use it for trapping lobster, but I am green at all of this. Anyone know where I can get started, or if it would be a lose cause for me to attempt this?
I understand that lobstermen are very territorial about the waters they fish, that each has what is considered his traditional waters.

Should anyone fish in his waters, he will likely retailiate by cutting your your traps or worse.

And virtually all lobster fishing areas are already taken.

Here's the result when someone fished in waters someone else considered his: Three boats sunk in latest lobster feud | The Portland Press Herald / Maine Sunday Telegram

Old 05-02-2011, 02:33 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
trying to lobster in established, protected territories as an outsider, is near impossible, if an outsider can do it,,,then thats quite a feat.

like the guy said on goodfella's "not just anyone can be a member of the club, you've got to be born into it"

most towns have established unmarked water territories of where you can place a trap-if someone from one town throw one of his traps, in the other towns fishing area,,,then they will most likely cut the trap

Ive seen firsthand, someone try to start lobstering not from the area yrs ago...... and the first foggy day, he lost half his gear
I know this may sound a bit harsh and unrealistic.....but i do still believe it's true today

Old 05-02-2011, 03:35 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,884,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
trying to lobster in established, protected territories as an outsider, is near impossible, if an outsider can do it,,,then thats quite a feat.

like the guy said on goodfella's "not just anyone can be a member of the club, you've got to be born into it"

most towns have established unmarked water territories of where you can place a trap-if someone from one town throw one of his traps, in the other towns fishing area,,,then they will most likely cut the trap

Ive seen firsthand, someone try to start lobstering not from the area yrs ago...... and the first foggy day, he lost half his gear
I know this may sound a bit harsh and unrealistic.....but i do still believe it's true today
Very true from my understanding. If you're lucky a;; you lose is the traps/gear. What was the name of the movie shot in Maine? About lobstering around mid-caost, I think.

Old 05-02-2011, 04:32 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,899,461 times
My father has been a lobsterman for 60+ years. He currently fishes a gang of 800 (roughly) traps (he used to fish 1200 back when you could fish 1200 traps-lol) and has a 36' boat that he had built in 1974 (which is named after me, but that's not important- lol). I remember years when we (my family) could afford fancy stuff, like new cars and college tuition for my sisters and I, and other years where we ate a lot of lobster because the price was so low, we couldn't afford to buy hot dogs. There is no guarantee, in ANY year, that you're going to make money. And if your boat blows an engine (it happens) or burns (it happens) or sinks (yep, that, too)... then you're going to be looking at quite a pretty penny to get back in the game. Also... you might slip on fish guts, fall and break your neck- that happened to my son's father. Or crush your hand in the davit. Or, what has happened to many that I have known personally.... you fall off and drown..end of story. It's take some *wicked* grit, intuition, and self-control to be a successful lobsterman, that's for sure.

You should read Jim Acheson's book- "The Lobster Gangs of Maine".
And then see this State O' Maine site: Maine Department of Marine Resources Licenses
Then, if you're still interested find yourself a captain who needs a sternman and is willing to help your with the apprenticeship program.

Old 05-02-2011, 06:51 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
My father has been a lobsterman for 60+ years. He currently fishes a gang of 800 (roughly) traps (he used to fish 1200 back when you could fish 1200 traps-lol) and has a 36' boat that he had built in 1974 (which is named after me, but that's not important- lol). I remember years when we (my family) could afford fancy stuff, like new cars and college tuition for my sisters and I, and other years where we ate a lot of lobster because the price was so low, we couldn't afford to buy hot dogs. There is no guarantee, in ANY year, that you're going to make money. And if your boat blows an engine (it happens) or burns (it happens) or sinks (yep, that, too)... then you're going to be looking at quite a pretty penny to get back in the game. Also... you might slip on fish guts, fall and break your neck- that happened to my son's father. Or crush your hand in the davit. Or, what has happened to many that I have known personally.... you fall off and drown..end of story. It's take some *wicked* grit, intuition, and self-control to be a successful lobsterman, that's for sure.

You should read Jim Acheson's book- "The Lobster Gangs of Maine".
And then see this State O' Maine site: Maine Department of Marine Resources Licenses
Then, if you're still interested find yourself a captain who needs a sternman and is willing to help your with the apprenticeship program.
My Father is a lobsterman too, and he still does it-

most older lobsterman have severe arthitis, severe back problems,,,,but they rarely complain

storms can bang up your gear, bait and fuel costs always go up, some folks help themselves to traps in the harbors at night in the summertime,
not to mention the snarl ups in the currents or if someone sits on top of you
yep...it's not for everyone, you smell like a walking bait bag, most of the summer

winter is sparse, we use to go scalloping,,,,,thats one of the most dangerous things ive done,,,,boat is icy,,, freezing damp wind blowing,,,,,,and you drag the bottom hoping for scallops,,,,but mostly shovel rocks and stuff overboard..

we also dug clams and picked mussels.... it was a treat to go fishing for mackerel or blues

the fisherman I know seem to be the most handiest folks ive met, from repairing their own boat, to building their own decks, they seem to have a knack for knowing how to fix most anything- just like many farmers,,,out of necessity

lobstermen are so independent, they couldnt imagine working for anyone else, or working in an office

the best times i remember was once you were out of the baitshack and heading for the traps, you see the sun rise, and the ocean is dead calm, had a tranquil feeling, and the good feeling of coming back to the co-op after cleaning up the boat, maybe get a soda (that was a real treat)

lobstering isnt a job, it's a way of life, I have the upmost respect for lobstermen

Old 05-02-2011, 07:26 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,661,299 times
You will have a very hard time becoming a lobsterman. Especially if you have no experience on the water. Plus being from away it will be doubly hard to find someone to apprentice with. I worked in marinas and boat yards since I was 13 and when I started lobstering with only 45 traps I got cut even though I knew the people cutting me pretty well. After a while they got used to me , knew I ran singles and left me alone. I did it for barter and trade,and did not sell them. With 45 traps I paid the neighbor for plowing us out and kept the family in all the lobster we wanted. They then raised the minimum to 250 traps and I got a grandfathered licence to fish my 45. After a few more years I gave it up as it was more trouble than it was worth and they were forcing me to go to 250 traps or five.
It's not an easy way to make a living and you'll have to apprentice as a sternman for at least two or three years until you can apply for a license. Then you'll only get one through attrition. Sell the boat and the traps and find something else to do would be my suggestion.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:54 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
As well as all of the above...depending on just how long that boat has been sitting there, it might need a substantial amount of work to be made seaworthy. I knew someone who didn't know much about boats...he took one in trade for a debt, it had been sitting for a long time and was very dried out, particularly the seal around the propeller shaft.

This guy and a friend loaded up on booze, drug the boat down to the harbor and put it in the water. Off they went to have themselves some fun. The boat sank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: