Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 07:25 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post

As far as a retirement location, Maine is the either first or second in the country for being the oldest average age. I'm not sure how much of this is people retiring here, or everyone of working age leaving to try to find work.
New census data says that it is getting even more so. But, people need food and perhaps entertainment, and older ones may need care, so that may provide opportunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 10:31 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times
If y'all haven't scared off the OP by now, I guess you never will...

Maine sounds like a great place to retire to me, if I ever get around to retiring! All of it - the libs, the church-goers, the home-schoolers, the lgbt's (whatever that is), the creationists, the abortionists, whatever - I'm used to New England and its weather and people and it's all just fine with me!

I couldn't hang with Texas, though...too dern stinkin' HOT down there!

Old 05-11-2011, 11:34 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,606,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin85 View Post
I agree with OutdoorNut (minus the sarcasm); if you are fixated on political/religious beliefs of others...

The OP sounded fixated to you? Really?

Old 05-25-2011, 08:15 AM

861 posts, read 1,147,192 times
Thanks for all the feedback. I do need to clarify that I could not care less about a person's personal beliefs as long as they keep them personal and not try to impose their beliefs on me (which is what happens in Texas to some extent). And I'm quite adept at avoiding politics and religion as topics of conversation (although if someone asks my opinion, they need to be able to hear it). I am really anxious to visit in September and look around. All that I read makes Maine sound quite interesting. And since I have no interest in a McMansion, I think housing will not be a problem.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:38 AM

One other clarification for everyone. To me, waterfront includes lakes and rivers, not just the ocean. I would be very happy with any water on which I can put some sort of floating device and while away my summers and falls.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:52 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryDactyls View Post
One other clarification for everyone. To me, waterfront includes lakes and rivers, not just the ocean. I would be very happy with any water on which I can put some sort of floating device and while away my summers and falls.
Maine has a huge HUGE amount of rivers and streams, lakes and ponds.

I had little difficulty in finding property that included river-frontage, for relatively low price.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:55 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,661,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
The OP sounded fixated to you? Really?
I did too. If you start an inquiry by bashing other people's beliefs no matter how opposite yours they are, it in not the basis for an unbiased exchange. "I want to live in Maine but I don't like this type of thinking or that kind of religion or schools teaching something I don't like", sounds like someone who is fixated to me.
Maine people for the most part live by an unspoken code which millions of people across the nation would do well to adopt. MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS. Deal with people on a personal level as the oppurtunity presents itself. Don't judge a book by it's cover. The guy standing in front of the drugstore in the coveralls and watch cap might be a Fortune 500 investor in Maine. Give people the benefit of the doubt. Mainers will believe there is good in a person from away until they prove otherwise. Then you're on your own. You'll never be from here but you can fit in if you're not too pushy, overly boisterous, don't complain about any aspect of Maine repeatedly, don't compare Maine to where ever you came from, don't borrow too much stuff from your neighbors ( once is fine, twice is acceptable, after that you had better buy your own what ever it is). Don't ask people to lend you any firewood during the winter. You should have cut or bought more.
Hank Williams Senior summed it up. "If you mind your own business then you won't be minding mine" and "If you mind your own business you'll be busy all the time" That's pretty much what Mainer's think.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:14 AM

I guess I might be a little "fixated" when it comes to people attempting to force their beliefs on others - especially when their beliefs fly in the face of science. But as I mentioned later, beliefs should be personal and not a mandate for everyone around them. Opposing beliefs can lead to incredible insights if people are willing to "discuss" and not "demand."

Old 05-26-2011, 03:01 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryDactyls View Post
I guess I might be a little "fixated" when it comes to people attempting to force their beliefs on others - especially when their beliefs fly in the face of science. But as I mentioned later, beliefs should be personal and not a mandate for everyone around them. Opposing beliefs can lead to incredible insights if people are willing to "discuss" and not "demand."

Ive lived in Maine all my life, (and travel to hundreds of Maine towns and have yet to hear anyone push beliefs of me or another)
except for one dear lady 30 years ago, in augusta that use to ask if "i was saved" outside of a store.
thats the only instance i can remember and I wasnt offended

Maine has a live and let live attitude for the most part- pushing religious beliefs just doesnt happen.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:26 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,319,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
.... "i was saved" outside of a store.

I usually just say, "You mean like stamps? My dad was a stamp collector, he saved many of them." They usually just look at me and move on. Most unprogrammed Quakers don't participate in that stuff.

Sometimes I say, "Yeah I have my name in the vault." Mormons have a vault in Saltlake with all their names in it so that God will know who to pick up on judgement day.

But then, apparently we were all left behind, except for a smal number of obits in the paper on Sunday morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine