Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 07:39 PM

2 posts, read 4,650 times

Advertisements

i am going on vacation with my family and dog. i will be in the bar harbor area. what are our chances of seeing moose or bear in the acadia nat park ? also can i take my small dog on a boat or moose tour? any info will be helpful.also where can we dine outside with my dog? ty for info .BOB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 08:12 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
Leave the dog home. There are kennels who will take great care of your dog while you're on vacation. If you insist on traveling with your surrogate child be aware that the MAJORITY of restaurants and motels in Maine DO NOT allow dogs. It IS quite possible a large black bear would eat your dog for lunch in Acadia.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:59 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,905,231 times
I don't think you'll be likely to see a moose or bear around Acadia. They are more inland and to the north.

Old 05-05-2011, 04:03 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
lots of moose tours in the fall and most bring a moose back home with them

on the way to acadia, you can exit off 95 to a town called newport, then drive up to greenville where moosehead lake is- usually a good chance to see a moose. they may have moose tours also

Old 05-05-2011, 07:33 AM

2 posts, read 4,650 times
Smile reply to maineah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Leave the dog home. There are kennels who will take great care of your dog while you're on vacation. If you insist on traveling with your surrogate child be aware that the MAJORITY of restaurants and motels in Maine DO NOT allow dogs. It IS quite possible a large black bear would eat your dog for lunch in Acadia.
I DONT LIKE WHAT YOU SAID IN YOUR REPLY.my dog is a member of our family.he goes with us all over the USA.you dont leave a dog home with no one to care for him.or you dont l eave him in a car .i said enough. love my dog .dog lover

Old 05-05-2011, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N3KTI View Post
I DONT LIKE WHAT YOU SAID IN YOUR REPLY.my dog is a member of our family.he goes with us all over the USA.you dont leave a dog home with no one to care for him.or you dont l eave him in a car .i said enough. love my dog .dog lover
I NEVER took my dog with me on a vacation neither have any of my friends or family. We watched each other's dogs while friends or family went on vacation or if no one was available the dog went to a nice doggy day care kennel where he was treated very well. I cannot understand the mind set of someone who would travel with a dog no matter how much you love them. People who travel with dogs EXPECT hotels and restaurants to accomodate your dog. Some will, most won't. Many of the states best attraction do not allow dogs. The Yarmouth Clam Festival does not allow dogs. Pineland Farms huge working farm and trail system does not allow dogs. Baxter State Park (the largest one in Maine) does not allow dogs. You really limit your options when traveling with a dog but if that doesn't bother you feel free to bring poochie along.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:14 AM

264 posts, read 759,003 times
Acadia National Park - Frequently Asked Questions (U.S. National Park Service)

Are pets allowed in the park?
Pets must be leashed and attended or otherwise physically restrained at all times. Pets are allowed in all park locations except Sand Beach, Echo Lake Beach, Isle au Haut campground, ladder trails, public buildings, and lakes that are public drinking water supplies. Please do not bring pets to ranger-led activities. Service dogs or sight-guiding dogs may accompany their owner to all park locations unless the area is closed to all visitors. See Pets for more information.

Are there moose or bears in Acadia?
Both occur on the island, but are rarely seen.

There are whale watching, seals, puffin etc tours out of Bar Harbor, but I don't believe there are Moose tours there... Moose tours are in other parts of the state and from what I can find, none will offer for dogs being onboard...

Acadia National Park - Pets (U.S. National Park Service)

Also good luck finding a place that allows dogs. Even though "cute little dogs", they can't make exceptions when they don't allow dogs (a dog is a dog when they have the rule) and most places don't allow. I'm sure some may though.

Old 05-05-2011, 12:20 PM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N3KTI View Post
i am going on vacation with my family and dog. i will be in the bar harbor area. what are our chances of seeing moose or bear in the acadia nat park ? also can i take my small dog on a boat or moose tour? any info will be helpful.also where can we dine outside with my dog? ty for info .BOB.
I don't know about Bar Harbor, but down at Pemaquid, you can take your dog with you to eat outside at Shaw's Fish and Lobster Wharf in New Harbor.

Old 05-05-2011, 02:20 PM

We used to go to the dump in Greenville to see the bears come out to feed in the 80's. It was fun. There would be a dozen cars there with the windows rolled up being quiet as the bears roamed around sifting through the refuse for a treat. Then out of state nitwits that felt they had to bring their dog with them everywhere showed up with their dogs in the back of their trucks and the crap hit the fan. After a large Bruin literally tore the head off a barking dog in the back of a pick up the fun was over. The owner of the dog had the audacity to call the police and complain the bear had killed his stupid dog. Fearing law suits the town spent a plie of money to put a fence around the dump and close it off to the bears and the bear watchers. The only thing I like less than someone else's dog is a militant dog owner forcing me to accept their dog in public places. Dogs are NOT people no matter how much some wish it to be true!

Old 05-05-2011, 03:57 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,033,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
The only thing I like less than someone else's dog is a militant dog owner forcing me to accept their dog in public places. Dogs are NOT people no matter how much some wish it to be true!

I love dogs, but I very much agree with you.

What really burns me is that when I grew up in New York City I had a dog, and everybody walked their dogs in the street, which was the law (curb your dog).

But the last few years every dog owner I see walking their dog, walks them on the sidewalk.

Very annoying. Sidewalks are for people. If dog owners are afraid to walk their dogs in city traffic, then maybe they shouldn't have a dog in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine