Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 05:52 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,717,042 times

Advertisements

Solomon sentenced to 3 1/2 years for defrauding MaineCare | Sun Journal

She bilked the state (us tax payers) out of 4.5 MILLION dollars and recieved 8 yrs with all but 3 1/2 suspended.. AND.. will serve only three months of probation after she is released..

Quote:
17-A MRSA §1253, sub-§2, ¶B is enacted to read:
For any person who commits a crime on or after October 1, 2009, is subsequently sentenced to a term of imprisonment for that crime and is entitled to receive a day-for-day deduction pursuant to this subsection, up to 4 additional days per calendar month may be credited to that deduction
if the person's conduct during that period of detention was such that the credit is determined to be warranted in the discretion of the chief administrative officer of the facility in which the person has previously been detained. Credits under this paragraph must be calculated as follows for partial calendar months:
With 3 1/2 years I am curious to what is the least amount of time she can serve.. Does this read that she actually recieves a day deduction for every day served?? or is there a limit of 4 days a month??

Quote:
I was hoping that I made a compelling argument for a little bit longer, but the court made a decision that took into account many factors, including whether additional imprisonment would have been sufficient to deter others,” Miller said.

I am doubtfull restitution will ever be fulfilled and I dont know how 3 and half years is supposed to deter anyone.. She got 4.5 million dollars!

At the end of the day with all of the things I have heard about what is going on over at DHS and Maine care I am curious if she has information that they didn't want to get out??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 08:19 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,661,299 times
If and when they go into a proper audit of the Maine Care system she'll most likely have company in the pokey.

Old 05-06-2011, 05:26 PM

846 posts, read 1,019,417 times
I actually think I'd go to prison for 1 million a year. Good work if you can get it! I wonder what is going to happen the the folk who were supposed to be providing oversight to her programs on the state level? I would think there were auditing procedures in place to ensure the monies were spent in accordance with state policy? I would suppose if this were true, she would have been stopped long before when she was. As the administrator of a program in state government here in NC I was subject to audit at least once a year without notice. In other words, keep your house in order.

Old 05-07-2011, 03:51 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiluver View Post
I actually think I'd go to prison for 1 million a year. Good work if you can get it! I wonder what is going to happen the the folk who were supposed to be providing oversight to her programs on the state level? I would think there were auditing procedures in place to ensure the monies were spent in accordance with state policy? I would suppose if this were true, she would have been stopped long before when she was. As the administrator of a program in state government here in NC I was subject to audit at least once a year without notice. In other words, keep your house in order.
yep, id go to prison too, for a million, maybe bury the money in a rock wall somewhere then head to a carribean beach, do a little fishing

It took 4.5 million to finally raise a flag??

makes you wonder how much fraud actually goes on in the state

and Im willing to bet, this same person, (like most at the state) was asked
"can we afford budget cuts" she would have adamently said-absolutely not!!
we'd be pushing the less fortunate out in the streets, even while she's embezzling.

The frustration lies within the oversight and auditing- why does it take so long, to uncover this crap??

Old 05-07-2011, 06:13 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,165,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
If and when they go into a proper audit of the Maine Care system she'll most likely have company in the pokey.
One would hope.

I'm all for an audit - an independent one. The system seems to be the most convoluted mess most honest providers have have ever dealt with (IMHO).

Old 05-07-2011, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
One would hope.

I'm all for an audit - an independent one. The system seems to be the most convoluted mess most honest providers have have ever dealt with (IMHO).
One has to wonder why it hasn't been done...

Old 05-07-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
yep, id go to prison too, for a million, maybe bury the money in a rock wall somewhere then head to a carribean beach, do a little fishing

It took 4.5 million to finally raise a flag??

makes you wonder how much fraud actually goes on in the state

and Im willing to bet, this same person, (like most at the state) was asked
"can we afford budget cuts" she would have adamently said-absolutely not!!
we'd be pushing the less fortunate out in the streets, even while she's embezzling.

The frustration lies within the oversight and auditing- why does it take so long, to uncover this crap??
I have "heard" there is a ton of corruption. One program lets and individual be paid by the state to take care of someone who is disabled.. I am not just talking about the situatiions I have personaly seen where a boyfriend is paid to take care of his girlfriend who allegedly is disabled..

I am talking about people that take care of mentally Ill and then do not provide the services.. or just lock them up in the house. They keep the money, steel their meds and sell them and stuff. Its a whole scam and when you start digging it just keeps growing.

The worse case I heard about (I have not fact checked it but it comes from a reliable source) involves a high level employee of DHS who had an addition built on to his/her home paid for by the state to provide housing for these individuals "when" they are staying there ..

Old 05-07-2011, 12:24 PM

846 posts, read 1,019,417 times
The sad thing is, there are people who really need these services legitimately. Every time one of these scumbags commits fraud, it makes it a little harder, takes a little longer, and they get less and less services because of those who perpetuate the fraudulent acts. I am as about as far right as you can get in these matters, but the need for care for the truly needy does exist, but apparently the need for a stronger oversight is needed as well.

I think they should have sentenced her to a homeless shelter, or perhaps some other place where she could see the impact of little or no funding and the implications that occur from no funds. I bet she walks out of prison, and straight back into the enjoyment of the acquisitions acquired as a result of her illegal acts.

Old 05-07-2011, 06:12 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
I go thru the toll booth just three times without paying a dollar, and im slapped with a 70.00 fine..... and no red flags of embezzlement til it got to 4.5 million..??

can you imagine the corruption, when total socialized healthcare kicks in??

the 4.5 million may be a drop in the bucket

Old 05-07-2011, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiluver View Post
The sad thing is, there are people who really need these services legitimately. Every time one of these scumbags commits fraud, it makes it a little harder, takes a little longer, and they get less and less services because of those who perpetuate the fraudulent acts. I am as about as far right as you can get in these matters, but the need for care for the truly needy does exist, but apparently the need for a stronger oversight is needed as well.

I think they should have sentenced her to a homeless shelter, or perhaps some other place where she could see the impact of little or no funding and the implications that occur from no funds. I bet she walks out of prison, and straight back into the enjoyment of the acquisitions acquired as a result of her illegal acts.
My neighbor has two children that are autistic. One of them severly. In speaking with them they had applied for no services or help because they didnt want to take money that other people might need.. They went with the idea that.. "hey we are getting by"...

And wouldn't you know thats probably how a lot of it works... And then you have a large percentage of folks just fleecing the system because they can..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: