U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 08-02-2007, 08:39 AM
 
133 posts, read 605,534 times
Reputation: 94

Advertisements

Hello! I have been considering buying a sleeper sofa from Maine Cottage. However, this brand is unknown to me. I have searched and searched over the internet for some opinions about the sofas and sleeper sofas that MC makes. Can anyone from Maine help me out here? Any of you purchased this brand of furniture? Anyone actually slept on their sleeper sofas? Any advice would be great! Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-06-2007, 02:06 PM
 
1,594 posts, read 3,850,962 times
Reputation: 1096
I have to be honest here: I've never understood the appeal of Maine Cottage Furniture. It's painted wood, sturdy enough, I suppose, but I've never seen anything about it that justifies the enormous prices people pay for it.

Still, a lot of people do pay for it. Can you explain what the attraction is for you?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2007, 01:49 PM
 
133 posts, read 605,534 times
Reputation: 94
Hello Coaster. Not so sure what the attraction is. I just fell in love with the furniture when I saw it. I am not looking at the painted wood furniture (although painted wood isn't much different than stained wood now is it?) , I am considering a sofa. I wanted a cheery room and their choices of material interested me. I guess I find it refreshing. I am also considering an Ethan Allen sofa with air mattress. But, Ethan Allen doesn't have any fabric that I like and they won't let you use anything other than what they have in their shop. Anyway, Like I said it is expensive..wondered if it was really worth it? Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2011, 12:27 PM
 
1 posts, read 6,828 times
Reputation: 11
DO NOT ORDER from Maine Cottage Furniture. We placed an order for several pieces of furniture back in October. Delivery was to be end of January early February. We got an email saying there was a delay and the furniture would be delivered beginning of March. I've been trying to reach the company for 2 weeks. There is no answer at any of the stores and they are not responding to emails. I called the marina which Maine Cottage rents space from in Yarmouth ME and they said the company has closed. I have contacted the BBB and the Maine Attorney Generals Office. Maine Cottage has not closed the website yet.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2011, 08:22 PM
 
8,767 posts, read 17,607,376 times
Reputation: 3511
Quote:
Originally Posted by the5hammels View Post
DO NOT ORDER from Maine Cottage Furniture. We placed an order for several pieces of furniture back in October. Delivery was to be end of January early February. We got an email saying there was a delay and the furniture would be delivered beginning of March. I've been trying to reach the company for 2 weeks. There is no answer at any of the stores and they are not responding to emails. I called the marina which Maine Cottage rents space from in Yarmouth ME and they said the company has closed. I have contacted the BBB and the Maine Attorney Generals Office. Maine Cottage has not closed the website yet.
I have not heard that they had closed. I knew they were in trouble. I'm going by there tomorrow and will take a look. Sorry you lost your order.
Maine Cottage started by making contrived stressed look furniture and selling it for a small fortune. They left that style for just over priced painted furniture. You can acheive the look yourself. Just buy some cheap pine furniture, paint it with a couple of coats of oil based pastel paint then quardruple the original price.. Viola.... Maine Cottage Furniture!
The furniture is nothing to write home about. My in-laws cottage has a table and chair set from them along with a few other items. Two of the six chairs broke and two others warped so bad they wobble when you sit in them. The table and the rest of the stuff has the knots burning through in the paint. Their assessment was "never again".

Last edited by Maineah; 02-28-2011 at 08:35 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2011, 07:24 AM
 
Location: Pennsylvania
23,855 posts, read 13,567,387 times
Reputation: 38435
in truth, the few pieces I've seen, my impression has been Ikea-meets-Sherwin Williams. At least Ikea is priced accordingly.

oops-can I say that? guess I'll find out.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2011, 07:13 PM
 
Location: God's Country, Maine
2,054 posts, read 4,334,590 times
Reputation: 1305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
I have not heard that they had closed. I knew they were in trouble. I'm going by there tomorrow and will take a look. Sorry you lost your order.
Maine Cottage started by making contrived stressed look furniture and selling it for a small fortune. They left that style for just over priced painted furniture. You can acheive the look yourself. Just buy some cheap pine furniture, paint it with a couple of coats of oil based pastel paint then quardruple the original price.. Viola.... Maine Cottage Furniture!
The furniture is nothing to write home about. My in-laws cottage has a table and chair set from them along with a few other items. Two of the six chairs broke and two others warped so bad they wobble when you sit in them. The table and the rest of the stuff has the knots burning through in the paint. Their assessment was "never again".
We have a name for that in the antique business...Shabby Chic.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2011, 10:01 AM
 
Location: Kronenwetter, Wis
489 posts, read 1,125,746 times
Reputation: 344
Hope I'm not off topic, but it's very easy to make your own furniture such as tables, shelving, book cases, desks, etc.. Sofas, probably not. Can I mention a tool here? "Kreg ***"....google it. You can make anything out of wood with this thing. Simple to use. Repairing wobbly kitchen chairs is also very doable with this ***.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2011, 11:20 AM
 
1,064 posts, read 1,915,028 times
Reputation: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportFury59 View Post
Hope I'm not off topic, but it's very easy to make your own furniture such as tables, shelving, book cases, desks, etc.. Sofas, probably not. Can I mention a tool here? "Kreg ***"....google it. You can make anything out of wood with this thing. Simple to use. Repairing wobbly kitchen chairs is also very doable with this ***.
With the price they want for stuff at that Cottage Furniture place, you could outfit a pretty good home workshop and make simple furniture like that yourself.

For less than the price of that furniture, when you're done, you'll have a house full of furniture with a first-class workshop of woodworking tools leftover.

And will have spent many happy hours building the stuff as bonus.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2011, 11:38 AM
jac
 
388 posts, read 950,273 times
Reputation: 180
You can find free plans online as well. Google Ana White. She creates easy plans based on things available through popular retailers.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
>
Powered by Foreclosure.com
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top