Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 08:39 AM

11 posts, read 36,452 times

Advertisements

I was wondering as I look out my window and see the poor Somali women and girls dressed from head to toe in full-length, furnace-hot smocks (in the heat of summer to make someone wear that is torturous) and just hope they have not been desecrated by female-genital mutilation practices.
Can people who practice mutilation, female barbarism, and utter female servtitude- really find a niche in American society?
I understand fully the reasons why they want to move from a war-torn, hellish, blood region, but this desensitizing makes for a long assimilation, it would seem.
Well, I don't know the answer. I just see more people huddled around apartment complexes, with nothing to do, all day..... nothing. I hope they can get jobs, and be more productive. I fear the culture gap is too great though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 11:23 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,096,836 times
Get some perspective. The same comments have been made (barring the genital mutilation) about every immigrant group that has come to America -- French Canadian, Irish, Jewish, Swedes, Jamaicans, Czechs, and on and on. The first generation always creates its own enclaves and clannish associations. It's the second and third generations that assimilate with a vengeance, move out of the "old neighborhoods" and join the larger society.

Old 08-02-2007, 03:13 PM

Default yea, but, what I'm lost

Of course. But, please, perspective???: I don't believe you when people say things like that. In kENNEBUNK, WOULD THE PRES. send his cutesy little daughters to the Somali corner store???? (first of all there would never be one)....... but would YOU?? the guy behind the counter held the girls in his clan down on the ground, bound, to get mutilated??? Not buying my bread there, sorry. And I think your not honest....

Old 08-02-2007, 03:14 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,901,814 times
Okay- what I would like to see NOT happen in the Maine forum is a pig-pile on immigrants like there seems to be on many of the other boards here at city-data. If Maine had never been aplenty with GOOD, HARD-WORKING, FAMILY-ORIENTED, JUST-TRYING-TO-MAKE-A-BETTER-LIFE kind of people who happen to be from another country... Maine wouldn't quite be Maine.

Female genital mutilation is an abomination, but instead of assuming that they/Somalis will bring such practices here, have you even thought a little that perhaps living in the US, with laws that protect the individual, will afford them the chance to make a stand and change/eliminate a (horrible) tradition.

Do you only see the Somalis that don't work? 'Cause I know a heck of a lot more white, native Mainers who take Augusta for a free ride every month with their housing vouchers and TANF money than I do any immigrants, Somali or otherwise. The immigrants are just PFA to me (that's People From Away, in case you don't know), no worse than the "immigrants" from New Jersey who try to force THEIR culture on to Mainers...

If Somalia is usually well over 100*F, and the are used to wearning such clothes in that heat, the same as we are used to wearning certain clothes at a vertain temperature... it seems quite close-minded to assume that the burkas and robes are uncomfortable to them. I know they would be to me, because i start withering at 70*, but if that's what they are used to and comfortable with, what's the problem? I would feel worse for them that they have to endure a cold Maine winter if they are not used to the cold than I do about having to wear the clothing on a hot day....

Old 08-02-2007, 03:19 PM

Default no problem

I don't dislike immigrants. I WANT them to assimilate, and procure advancement. However, are you sure you really know waht the men of Somaili do their women???? Read more about it maybe....it is BAD........

Old 08-02-2007, 03:28 PM

Default imagine

imagine getting your .....ick cut off. What is up with you people??

Old 08-02-2007, 05:01 PM

375 posts, read 609,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
Get some perspective. The same comments have been made (barring the genital mutilation) about every immigrant group that has come to America -- French Canadian, Irish, Jewish, Swedes, Jamaicans, Czechs, and on and on. The first generation always creates its own enclaves and clannish associations. It's the second and third generations that assimilate with a vengeance, move out of the "old neighborhoods" and join the larger society.
Ah, no 2nd and 3rd generations don't necessarily "assimilate with a vengeance". As they like to say in the financial services industry "past performance is no guarantee of future success".

There are plenty of neighborhoods in So Cal where it is considered selling out to join "whitey" society and where various ethnicities deliberately close themselves off from the very towns and cities in which they live. I wish it was, but I'm sure this trend isn't specific to So Cal.

Old 08-02-2007, 05:13 PM

Default well put

Very well put, though I too, wish it were not the case. I mean, how, can you strike up common ground with anyone who thinks they ae entitled to mutillate women's bodies- and I am a man....
Oh, the storefront looks great Jakkannmsikiree , and I'm really glad to hear your wife has no clitoris... oh, you removed the stiches too??? What a man you are. soooo brave! What a warrior bloodline you exemplify....

Old 08-03-2007, 08:02 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,422,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danpv View Post
Ah, no 2nd and 3rd generations don't necessarily "assimilate with a vengeance". As they like to say in the financial services industry "past performance is no guarantee of future success".

There are plenty of neighborhoods in So Cal where it is considered selling out to join "whitey" society and where various ethnicities deliberately close themselves off from the very towns and cities in which they live. I wish it was, but I'm sure this trend isn't specific to So Cal.
I can say, having grown up in a city that resembles Little Mexico, that immigration is out of control. In Houston, it's illegal immigration run rampant, and I DO have a problem with it. There are good reasons, however, and it's not that I am at all prejudice. I have some close friends who are "other than white". I am, however, and English speaking American who resents the fact that my children are being forced to learn Spanish from 1st grade on because too many Hispanics have settled in our cities and refuse to learn the language of the country they were so anxious to "join". I am resentful that the home my grandparents built 58 years ago at the end of a dirt road has been completely surrounded by Hispanics and their huge clans living in small shacks all around their borders, and they are now trying to buy my grandparents property so they can take over that too. I have a HUGE problem with illegal immigration AND the employers who hire illegals, taking food out of the mouths of American families who have a legitimate right to be here and who PAY TAXES. They are using up our resources and not contributing by paying taxes to help support the lifestyle they are enjoying.

I do believe there are more CONS than PROS in our area of the country. I know you are talking about a different type in injustice, but injustice is wrong nomatter how you spell it out.

Old 08-03-2007, 08:38 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,363,371 times
In my area, no one dares say a word against the Somalians or its taken as a hate crime. I witnessed a Somalian boy and some other teens go to a local restaurant, eat and then run out without paying the bill. No one called the police. Why? Because it would have been called a hate crime.
I have come across some who seem nice and polite, but the majority of them do not move out of your way in a store, no matter how nicely and politely you say excuse me. Walmart has some as cashiers. I don't think they know how to speak English, or refuse to speak it. They do not say one word to you while you are checking out...not even how much your total bill is. Politeness should be a two way street.
I understand they have their own customs and such, but they are in America. If one wants to live here, then accept it as your new home and adapt. Learn our language and use it. Make an effort to be accepted in your new community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine