U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 02:15 PM

9,986 posts, read 12,749,697 times

Advertisements

Out here in Oregon, we have had a fairly cool, wet spring. Maples and oaks are just starting to leaf out, lilac bushes are finally in bloom, daffodils are still hanging around and rivers are running high and ants are on the march. What is it like there? Input from north and south appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2011, 02:23 PM

3,386 posts, read 6,497,396 times
Yours sounds like ours thus far...

Old 05-08-2011, 02:56 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,286,723 times
Here at Hearthfire Hill in Corinth the trees are beginning to leaf, the sound of the riding mowers is again heard in the land (and our little tractor was out doing plowing and tilling chores today as well) and while the crocus are gone, the daffys are still around, as are the grape hyacinths (getting done, though) and the tulip buds are just beginning to show color. Forsythia is in high bloom and my earliest lilac has inch long very tight buddings showing, but unlike when we lived out west, lilacs are NOT a Mother's Day flower here.

We've been seeing tons of goldfinches returning to the feeders, swifts or swallows (not sure which) have been seen swooping about, and the first "worm rain" of the season has come and gone. I have yet to see a dragonfly or damsel fly, though.

I have been out planting the "early garden" (a bit behind schedule... last year I had lettuce ready for the first markets of the season; this year I will not): transplants of lettuce and cabbage, the seed potatoes and onion sets, seeds of peas, carrots, beets, and some odd early stuff. The mulched and overwintered herbs are showing me who made it and who didn't, and it appears the mulched leeks will be ready for early market. Experiment with mulched chard was a possible success; not all died but I am not sure how quickly it will come back to eating size.

And I have the first spear of asparagus showing!

Old 05-08-2011, 03:43 PM

Great post Starwalker,

I could almost picture being there...
Speaking of gardening, what are the safe frost dates there? Here in Ashland, OR, we our last frost is typically about May 10-15 or so.

Can you get off a crop of tomatoes there? Or is it too cool. Hit or miss here.

Old 05-08-2011, 05:27 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,286,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Great post Starwalker,

I could almost picture being there...
Speaking of gardening, what are the safe frost dates there? Here in Ashland, OR, we our last frost is typically about May 10-15 or so.

Can you get off a crop of tomatoes there? Or is it too cool. Hit or miss here.
Our average frost tree date is the same as yours. Yes, we get tomatoes. I am still fighting the weeds to get a good crop; this year I am using weed block of several kinds under transplants of long-standing crops, like my cabbages that are going out now (late) and will do on the tomatoes and peppers as well. Of course we grow the ones with the shorter maturity date and many folks use row covers and low tunnels -- or high tunnels -- to get a head start and prolong the season. I am not there yet, but working on it. $$ issues, as always.

I likely won't get the 'maters in next week this year as the nights have been in the 40s, still, and I need to scrounge some more weed block. I have used cut-open brown paper feed sacks, pieces of cardboard and the stuff I bought... and am out of everything (including $ at present).

Old 05-08-2011, 07:00 PM

33,343 posts, read 54,752,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
Yours sounds like ours thus far...
I agree.

Old 05-08-2011, 07:04 PM

8,767 posts, read 17,395,408 times
Spring is in full bloom. I mowed the lawn twice so far. Tonight there is a baby porcupine in the willow tree munching on new growth. They're there every spring. The night crawlers are out too. After the rain tomorrow night I'm going to get my first bucket full of them for trout bait!

Last edited by Maineah; 05-08-2011 at 07:55 PM..

Old 05-09-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Spring is in full bloom. I mowed the lawn twice so far. Tonight there is a baby porcupine in the willow tree munching on new growth. They're there every spring. The night crawlers are out too. After the rain tomorrow night I'm going to get my first bucket full of them for trout bait!

Oh, yeah fishing...forgot about that...good idea!

Old 05-11-2011, 08:30 PM

8,767 posts, read 17,395,408 times
It's been a cold week. Temps have struggled to hit the low 50's. Very windy too. Not outdoor weather. I wish I had a box stove to run in the spring to "take the edge off" of the house with wood. The big stove is just too much to light and puts out too much heat . I need a leaky,drafty, old stove the will burn hot, quick and go out in a few hours. We've burned more oil since March then we did all winter...

Old 05-12-2011, 05:04 AM

6,314 posts, read 12,301,279 times
At 4:15 this morning it was 40*, raining lightly and the wind was gusting. No turkey hunting for me this morning. I poured a cup of coffee, built a fire and stayed in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine