U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 06:35 AM

4,567 posts, read 9,647,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
But when ever I drive through downtown thats when I get to see all the 20 somthings hanging around...............smoking........ ??looking?? for work

Pretty simple, its because all the old people refuse to retire. People are working much longer than they ever have. Its hard to get a job at walmart or mcdonalds when all the old folks continue to work. An older worker with better qualifications will beat a young person with no qualifications every time.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 07:30 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,363,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
Pretty simple, its because all the old people refuse to retire. People are working much longer than they ever have. Its hard to get a job at walmart or mcdonalds when all the old folks continue to work. An older worker with better qualifications will beat a young person with no qualifications every time.
Well I was being facetious.. They are NOT looking for work.. they are avoiding it like the plague..

What qualifications do you need to work at walmart besides responsability... which I agree.. the older gen has it all over todays kids..

But your right about it being difficult.. My wife works in an office and one of her fellow employees who, now is already working in a prestigious field for a demanding company, applied to Wal-mart becasue she wanted a part time job.. she went through 3 interviews and some kind of testing before she got hired..

Old 05-12-2011, 11:32 AM

3,638 posts, read 5,742,284 times
Quote:
Well I was being facetious.. They are NOT looking for work.. they are avoiding it like the plague..

What qualifications do you need to work at walmart besides responsability... which I agree.. the older gen has it all over todays kids..

But your right about it being difficult.. My wife works in an office and one of her fellow employees who, now is already working in a prestigious field for a demanding company, applied to Wal-mart becasue she wanted a part time job.. she went through 3 interviews and some kind of testing before she got hired..

She went through a background check and a drug test. She's in a "prestigious field for a demanding company"?

So why would she want to work for $7 and change for a department store? It's hardly worth the gas money to get there. Does she need the part-time job, or (not unlike a lot of the "retired" and bored WM greeters) just want something to do?

I've talked to a lot of older people who volunteer or work. There are the ones who either volunteer because they just want to keep skills and stay social, but don't need the money, those who need to supplement the SS check and those who figure, "If I'm working anyway, I may as well get paid."

Maybe that's the "statistical data" that they used for this opposite report.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:04 PM

6,313 posts, read 12,289,059 times
Quote:
SOME of today's kids. Just like some of the older gen are irresponsible. Adults failed some of "today's kids." Adults should have gotten off their @sses and done something productive rather than lazily sat them in front of a television set.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:50 PM

90 posts, read 154,622 times
Quote:
Last time I went into the Mcdonalds in Auburn at least 80% of the workers in there were ladies past retirement age... that was a while ago and I must have caught them on and odd day... But just the other day going through the check out at Walmart I noticed at least a 3rd of the cashiers were the same age group...

But when ever I drive through downtown thats when I get to see all the 20 somthings hanging around...............smoking........ ??looking?? for work

Sounds about right to me.

Old 05-12-2011, 05:41 PM

1,175 posts, read 2,313,910 times
Although I am new to Maine, I hear from the small business owners that Maine is not a great place to do business. With all the rules, regulations and nonsense, and to serve a small aging population, a load of people just pass us by. Sad.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
She went through a background check and a drug test. She's in a "prestigious field for a demanding company"?

So why would she want to work for $7 and change for a department store? It's hardly worth the gas money to get there. Does she need the part-time job, or (not unlike a lot of the "retired" and bored WM greeters) just want something to do?

I've talked to a lot of older people who volunteer or work. There are the ones who either volunteer because they just want to keep skills and stay social, but don't need the money, those who need to supplement the SS check and those who figure, "If I'm working anyway, I may as well get paid."

Maybe that's the "statistical data" that they used for this opposite report.
Something to do and money i would imagine... A bad divorce, lots of debt, no children, lots of time to kill.. and probably one of a dozen other reasons as to why people get a second job..

And I am making some assumptions here.. but it is what it is..

Old 05-13-2011, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
SOME of today's kids. Just like some of the older gen are irresponsible. Adults failed some of "today's kids." Adults should have gotten off their @sses and done something productive rather than lazily sat them in front of a television set.
I wouldnt disagree with that "some"..

I owned a restaurant for a while near Bates college and we had the pleasure of hiring students from Bates... say what you will about them but as far as workers... they were SMART!! and pretty responsible too..

I just fell like though they were the exception
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: