Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 07:38 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,418,445 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me who the cell phone providers are in Belfast? We just found out our current carrier, AT&T, is not in that area. They said we'd have to change providers and they will let us out of our contract. So who should we check out? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2007, 12:39 PM

106 posts, read 454,162 times
The two that I really know of are US Cellular and Unicel...rumor has it that Verizon is on the verge of buying out Unicel too. T-Mobile might be available but Im not sure about that one. The majority of the people I know have either US cellular or Unicel. I have Unicel ( I used to work in the Belfast area) and they are pretty good. Its almost an even split in service though....you will find people on both sides that have good things and bad things to say about both companies.

Old 08-06-2007, 01:45 PM

291 posts, read 2,074,981 times
I would advise you to wait until you have "settled" before you make a choice. Both Unicel (soon to be owned by Verizon Wireless) and US Cellular are good carriers. But what if you choose one that has a dead spot right where you move?

Your AT&T phone will work there and will roam on Unicel. So you'll get a first hand look at how it will operate initially. I don't know if other carriers have started to serve the area, but a look in the newspaper or phone book will answer that.

For additonal hints on choosing a new carrier, visit the How to Switch Cellular Carriers web page.

Old 08-06-2007, 02:35 PM

Yes, AT&T told us we'll have to cancel our contract, because they will only allow us to use the other service for a short time. Unicel offers the best plans, but we'll ask around to see who everyone gets the best reception from before switching. Thanks!

Old 08-06-2007, 03:29 PM

106 posts, read 454,162 times
BillRadio offers good advice...one thing to add to that too is dont judge the carrier on just where you live. Maine is rampant with deadspots. Ive heard some people claim it was the worst they had ever experienced compared to other states.
You would be best to check out the coverage areas for both. I believe US Cellular will let you 'test drive' one of their phones for a month and if you dont like it they pay for the calls you made and you owe nothing.

The merger between Verizon and Unicel is not going to happen too soon. Both systems are not compatible currently and Verizon will have to figure out how to upgrade current Unicel customers to their system. Not to mention the government still has to approve the purchase.

Old 09-02-2007, 02:38 PM

48 posts, read 111,357 times
unicel has lots of dead areas, i used to have them and switched to us cellular with much better coverage.

Old 09-04-2007, 07:18 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
Cell phone service being spotty is just a fact of life. Near metropolitain areas or major highway it will be better, but the fact is that low power output severely limits range. Line-of-sight figures heavily into the equation. If the signal is blocked by a hill it will drop.

When you get into areas with a low population density and away from major routes there is less incentive to build towers because of the length of time it takes to get any ROI, if ever.

I've tested Sprint, Nextel (before they merged) and Verizon phones throughout eastern Maine, and the VZ phone/service has been more reliable.

Oddly enough, no matter where I've lived and what service I was using, service *at* my house has always sucked. But, there are external antennas you can mount on the roof that will improve it. Cell phones are really just little radios, and, as with all radios, the higher you can get the antenna the better it will work.

Old 09-04-2007, 07:56 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,096,282 times
In this part of Maine, the most consistent provider with reliable coverage is US Cellular. I know they're statewide, but I'm not sure how anyone's cell service is statewide! US Cellular does allow a 30 day trial period though. That might be a good option!

Old 09-04-2007, 08:08 AM

That stinks about Unicel. They have the best rate plan, but it won't matter how much I pay if I can't use my phone enough!

Old 09-04-2007, 08:11 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
I have T-Mobile and so far it works just as good here as anywhere else that I have been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine