Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 05:52 PM

142 posts, read 344,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th generation View Post
We need it. April's total was less than 50% of normal.
It's messing up the farmers as far as planting, but the upside is if it rains now, we (hopefully) will have a nice sunny summer.

....mmmmm, sun, beer, seafood.......
Keep dreaming!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 05:58 PM

I checked the 10 day weather for Bridgton. Argggggg!!!!! 8 days of rain and 2 days of clouds. No amount of vitamin d tabs will help with this. People in this state are deficiant in vit d. Low vitamin d can cause bodyaches,depression.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:26 AM

885 posts, read 1,486,926 times
I forget which state is number 1 in suicides....Maine or Oregon.....no joke! They say it is weather related.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:43 AM

7,056 posts, read 9,015,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maine4.us View Post
It is so bad here, that people are mowing in the rain. I managed to sneak one in the other day, I barely finished when it started raining again. I need to mow every 5 days here with all this rain, but it is almost impossible.

A summer with higher precipitation is forecast by the weather guys. Hope it is not a repeat of summer before last.
I've given up. Too much grass, too much rain, mower gets gummed up with wet grass too frequently, too little time and gas costs too much to try and keep up. If it stops raining long enough I may try to reclaim some of the area around the house.

On the plus side, maybe we'll get two hayings in this year...if I was successful in convincing the deer farmer that I should be getting something in return for providing feed for his deer...otherwise, I'll just let *that* grow too.

Old 05-22-2011, 03:14 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,303,751 times
Yeah... well I wish I could have sneaked in a mo, but my riding mower and my weedhacker in collusion and in their infinite wisdom chose to both die at the end of the rain. So..... since my house is for sale, I cannot do without either, and I had to spring for a Huskee push mower, and a new Poulan Weed whacker. Hopfully I get my riding mower back soon, if I can find someone who actually fixes them anymore. The mower needs either a new starter switch or starter motor or solonoid or all three.

Now a mowing job which used to take 40 minutes in a sitting position, takes 2 hours of strenuous activity.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:46 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,136,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisk590 View Post
I checked the 10 day weather for Bridgton. Argggggg!!!!! 8 days of rain and 2 days of clouds. No amount of vitamin d tabs will help with this. People in this state are deficiant in vit d. Low vitamin d can cause bodyaches,depression.
Yeah, well I'm ready to replace all of my house light bulbs with sun lamp bulbs and turn every durn one of them on all day.

The electric company would love me, but I'd probably have to pick up a second job to pay for that and heating oil.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:19 AM

868 posts, read 1,117,390 times
we got an insane amount of rain here too (quebec), severe flooding in the richelieu river valley which feeds off lake champlain.

it was beautiful though the last 2 days , but cloudy today with showers probable. those puddles and ditches havent got time to dry up.

i suspect the air force (i.e. black flies , mosquitos, deer flies etc) will patrol the area for a good while this year.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:01 AM

489 posts, read 1,203,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
Yeah... well I wish I could have sneaked in a mo, but my riding mower and my weedhacker in collusion and in their infinite wisdom chose to both die at the end of the rain. So..... since my house is for sale, I cannot do without either, and I had to spring for a Huskee push mower, and a new Poulan Weed whacker. Hopfully I get my riding mower back soon, if I can find someone who actually fixes them anymore. The mower needs either a new starter switch or starter motor or solonoid or all three.

Now a mowing job which used to take 40 minutes in a sitting position, takes 2 hours of strenuous activity.
For Zarathu it might be too late but might help others.
Pertaining to riding mowers here's a tip I discovered. When trying to start, if tractor acts like it needs a new starter, solenoid, or battery, whack the starter with a rubber hammer while turning key. That just might enable the starter mechanism to engage.
I had that problem with one of my tractors and bought a new battery and solenoid, and still same problem. Learned of rubber hammer trick on tractor forum. I have to use that "trick" on one of my tractors at least 3 times a month.
I have 5 tractors so new parts will not go unused

Old 05-23-2011, 12:05 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,568,663 times
This is becoming a very bad spring. It's 48 degrees, raining, windy, and feels more like late March than late May. I'll have to put the three point PTO driven finish mower on the the back of the tractor to knock down the lawn. It's crazy. We have so much to do outside it isn't funny. I'll be a month behind soon. So much for getting a jump on things. At this rate we'll have to buy most of our firewood seasoned as we won't have time to cut, split and get it dry by fall. Just lovely weather!

Old 05-23-2011, 06:30 PM

I know,feel the same but at least our houses are still standing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: