Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 01:04 PM

885 posts, read 1,494,818 times

Advertisements

This may be a bit off topic, but driving in Bangor yesterday brought it to my mind......too many people driving and chatting on the cell phone is one big pet peeve..... let's pass a no cell/drive law....SOON....since I am an old fart I get to have several....right?? Another is people pronouncing supposedly as "supposably"!
Whats some of yours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 03:26 PM

827 posts, read 1,672,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by namder1 View Post
This may be a bit off topic, but driving in Bangor yesterday brought it to my mind......too many people driving and chatting on the cell phone is one big pet peeve..... let's pass a no cell/drive law....SOON....since I am an old fart I get to have several....right?? Another is people pronouncing supposedly as "supposably"!
Whats some of yours?
Several what?

My pet peeve is these folks who want to control the lives of everyone else. Make up laws that you can't talk on cell phones next you can't drink soda or even water while driving, next no radios,CB's, Ham, etc allowed in the vehicle. Too many people [yes even old farts] try to run everyone else's lives by making up some rediculous laws.

As long as what someone does is not hurting you then ignore it. I'm sure someone in this world could write a few pet peeves about what YOU do.

I suppose you'll want laws made up on WHAT and how much you can eat how much you can belch out. How much and what you can drink. How much air you can inhale or exhale, certain clothes you can or cannot wear. How long or, how short you can keep your hair. How long or short facial hair is. What color you must color your hair to comply with YOUR pet peeve

Old 05-20-2011, 04:44 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,666,326 times
Don't worry namder1 the pot smoking, anti-everything, isolationist,Ron Paul supporters probably did not understand your post. The rest of us NORMAL people understood completely. BTW Box car willy not every law is bad and they're not all directed at you. Crawl back under your rock.

Old 05-20-2011, 04:55 PM

513 posts, read 896,856 times
I am with you namder1 ... I've had a few near miss accidents bcuz of ppl on cell phones. What is so important that they can't wait or pull over to make that call.

Old 05-20-2011, 04:57 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,381,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Don't worry namder1 the pot smoking, anti-everything, isolationist,Ron Paul supporters probably did not understand your post. The rest of us NORMAL people understood completely. BTW Box car willy not every law is bad and they're not all directed at you. Crawl back under your rock.
That's NORML Maineah!!! ;-) I actually agree that cell phone use while driving is a danger to everyone. I was parked at the drug store recently, an SUV pulled in beside me, almost swiping the side of my car, the front tire actually went up on the walkway before the driver backed up and parked crookedly. A rather large young woman was behind the wheel texting.
A motor vehicle is a large. moving machine. Operators should direct their attention to safely driving.
Leave your cell phone in your pocket or bag please.

Old 05-20-2011, 05:06 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,540,190 times
It's hard to tell the texters from the drunk drivers these days. I followed a Suburban from Springfield to Lincoln today. It crossed white and yellow lines constantly. I held my breath once when a loaded log truck was coming around a corner. You can talk to passengers and on the phone without using your hands. You can't text without taking your hands off the wheel.

My peeve: Banger. Banger is not in Maine. Bangor is not a difficult word to pronounce. Try it. Bangor. Now wasn't that simple?

Old 05-20-2011, 05:09 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,078,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCar Willie View Post

My pet peeve is these folks who want to control the lives of everyone else. Make up laws that you can't talk on cell phones next you can't drink soda or even water while driving, next no radios,CB's, Ham, etc allowed in the vehicle. Too many people [yes even old farts] try to run everyone else's lives by making up some rediculous laws.
I haven't checked Maine's MV laws, but I know that there are laws in other states that prohibit driving while 'distracted' and 'negligent operation'. I strongly suspect that ME does too.

Negligent operation pretty much already covers all of the things that people do while driving, that aren't necessary to the control of their automobile. There is no need to add laws covering specific acts, all that is needed is to enforce the existing law. If someone is performing some action that is not necessary to the control of the vehicle, and that action diverts their attention to the extent that that it causes an accident, then that person is negligent.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:28 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by namder1 View Post
Whats some of yours?
I think the legislator-nazis in Augusta passing a law in 2003 [LD 1439], and another in 2007 [HP 143], that both focus on cell phone operation while driving.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCar Willie View Post
... I suppose you'll want laws made up on WHAT and how much you can eat how much you can belch out. How much and what you can drink. How much air you can inhale or exhale, certain clothes you can or cannot wear. How long or, how short you can keep your hair.
So long as we can drink while driving then I am good

Quote:
... How long or short facial hair is. What color you must color your hair to comply with YOUR pet peeve
uh, wait a minute.

The length of your facial hair?

My facial hair only reaches to about an inch below my nipples, so I guess it is fairly short. But I would never support any law to limit how long a man should be allowed to grow a beard.

I mean one day I would like to have a relatively long beard, ...

Old 05-20-2011, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
... My peeve: Banger. Banger is not in Maine. Bangor is not a difficult word to pronounce. Try it. Bangor. Now wasn't that simple?
Yes, I agree.

However I spent 4 years on a boat that was home-ported at Subase Bangor. Out there 'bangor' is pronounced differently than how 'bangor' is pronounced here.

There it is: "Bang-her"
Here it is: "Bang-Gor"

Different cultures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine