Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2012, 02:25 PM

27 posts, read 53,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I've checked the site out before, just wanted an opinion on the schools and the community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 03:36 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VVolfpack View Post
I've checked the site out before, just wanted an opinion on the schools and the community.
The Mainers will know. (sorry, thought you were retired, as this thread is in regard to growing old)

Old 07-19-2012, 06:21 PM

27 posts, read 53,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
(sorry, thought you were retired, as this thread is in regard to growing old)
Who says I can't find a town now that will be nice when I retire? If I'm gonna go to all the trouble of searching out a place to live it might as well be one I can stick with. Besides, I'll be old one of these days (hopefully)

Old 07-19-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVolfpack View Post
Who says I can't find a town now that will be nice when I retire? If I'm gonna go to all the trouble of searching out a place to live it might as well be one I can stick with. Besides, I'll be old one of these days (hopefully)
Not too soon I hope! I agree that finding a town that works for now and forever is best.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:14 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,542,872 times
Lincoln is a nice community. I have no personal experience with the schools but friends who raised their children there were pleased. If you like the outdoors there's always something to do in Lincoln and surrounding areas. If you like to shop as entertainment you'll need to drive to Bangor. I have a choice of two towns if I need to shop. One is 30 miles away, the other is Lincoln at 50 miles. I'll drive the extra miles. It's a growing town with an active community.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:58 PM

2 posts, read 2,248 times
We are looking to relocate to mid-coast Maine to retire around Stockton Springs, Rockland or maybe Owl's Head. Anybody have any insights on the best locale for safety, quiet yet not too far from civilization for old folks? Thanks

Old 03-21-2013, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzAnnieofNE View Post
We are looking to relocate to mid-coast Maine to retire around Stockton Springs, Rockland or maybe Owl's Head. Anybody have any insights on the best locale for safety, quiet yet not too far from civilization for old folks? Thanks
I've been to Owl's Head and it is great, however it is a long way there from town. In old/er age, can you handle long drives on single back roads?

Rockland has a real downtown, nice.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:27 PM

We are coming to Maine to spend more time this spring. I appreciate all the suggestions on where to grow old in Maine, based on the criteria in my OP. Are there any really outstanding recommendations from Mainers?

Old 03-25-2013, 04:41 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzAnnieofNE View Post
also look at boothbay harbor, bristol, pemaquid and damariscotta

Old 03-27-2013, 11:34 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,130,367 times
The Ellsworth Area is the fastest growing area in Maine. It has most of the amenities that you would find in other places and the nearness of the National Park.

MDI itself has a very active Senior College(Acadia Senior College) that welcomes people from away with open arms.

There are affordable places to rent and buy in Lamoine and Ellsworth, even on MDI if you want to buy and you consider a house for $150-200K affordable.

I know that with stuff going on in Ellsworth and MDI, there is actually more to do in the winter time than there is in the summer. And the traffic into MDI(at 7-8:30 AM and 3-5 PM) should drop by 2015 when Jackson Lab's new world class Mouse-a-rarium opens in the old Lowe's in Ellsworth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine