Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2011, 07:50 PM

19,959 posts, read 30,007,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
C'mon, Mainers, are you really going to stay where you are in a very rural area in very old age?

Where the heck is Athens??
that was said in jest- because of a video in another thread.

if i have my choice, i will be in rural maine til im plant food
we get accustomed to no traffic, low crime, the fresh air, seeing the wild animals, the smells of the seasons-

you can drive down a country road and pass a field of wildflowers and it smells like summer (like fresh cut grass) of course another mile down the road a farmer may be spreading cow-sh*t, thats when you roll your window up

I had to drive thru boston a few times, brooklyn ny and philadelphia

I was more nervous on that drive than driving in sleet/snow in the wintertime
the people are nuts, and I think i had the only car with brakes in boston-no one else uses them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 11:56 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,856,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
C'mon, Mainers, are you really going to stay where you are in a very rural area in very old age?

Where the heck is Athens??
Yes, of course: we love it here.

Athens is in western Maine.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:54 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,852,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
that was said in jest- because of a video in another thread.

if i have my choice, i will be in rural maine til im plant food
we get accustomed to no traffic, low crime, the fresh air, seeing the wild animals, the smells of the seasons-

you can drive down a country road and pass a field of wildflowers and it smells like summer (like fresh cut grass) of course another mile down the road a farmer may be spreading cow-sh*t, thats when you roll your window up

I had to drive thru boston a few times, brooklyn ny and philadelphia

I was more nervous on that drive than driving in sleet/snow in the wintertime
the people are nuts, and I think i had the only car with brakes in boston-no one else uses them
I agree, wholeheartedly. I don't understand those that don't think we're in a good spot to grow old.

Old 07-16-2011, 04:02 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,902,787 times
Sounds like most of you have been born and bred in Maine, so growing old there is natural. Every now and then I get a very strong urge to get out of Mass. and the only other place I'd want to live is Maine, but I'd be living there for the first time without family (or friends, at least at first). A very good friend might make the move with me, and he's into gardening and community gardens. We're in our 60s. So that's why I'm so interested to know which non-rural towns you'd most recommend. I appreciate all the answers. Coming up within the next couple of weeks, hope to avoid summer traffic. More suggestions welcome. Of course I'm intrigued about far north, but how "in-town" is it possible to live there?

Old 07-16-2011, 07:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnnappi View Post
Sorry BoxCar, maybe I shouldn't have said the crime was worse in Sanford as any other town, that's right Portland has a lot of crime, but also more people. What I should have said about Sanford is that If I was to bring up children here, I think I would choose s town or city that had a better school system. What I found is that I could really tell the difference from the people that grew up in Sanford and went to school there and the people that were from other areas of Maine. I don't mean to slander Sanford in general or the people there, but there education is poor! I'm sure it also depend on the individual and what you get out of the education, but a few of the locals that I met were very, if I must say, ignorant, and closed minded.
On the plus side for senior citizens, Sanford does have a hospital, a bus service that goes all the way to Wells, and a van service that can drive folks to appointments, etc when needed. There are doctors, dentists, chiropractors..unlike many other Maine small towns. We live just outside of town and have no crime issues.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:59 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,559,976 times
" Coming up within the next couple of weeks, hope to avoid summer traffic."

I wouldn't worry about it this summer. I stopped at a popular boat launch today and nobody was there. It's the middle of July, gorgeous weather, low humidity and no bugs. No people either. This is the third time this month I have seen this at three different locations. The only time I have seen this before was during the Korean war and that was 60 years ago when the young men were all in Korea. Now it's the economy.

Old 07-16-2011, 09:41 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,198,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
I don't think you'll find much in Cape Elizabeth for less than $300,000. And I think there are 3 farms left in the whole township. They seem to argue in Cape alot; people are very much into having "their thing" be undisturbed so there have been a number of MAJOR conflagrations (so to speak) when in other towns they would have been "grassfires". Just my opinion.
There are 14 Single Family Homes and 11 Condominiums for sale in Cape Elizabeth with list prices of less than $300,000.

Of the 116 Single Family Homes sold in Cape Elizabeth over the past 12 months, 35 (30.1%) had sales prices of less than $300,000. Of the 20 Condominiums sold in Cape Elizabeth over the past 12 months, 13 (65%) had sales prices of less than $300,000.

Old 07-17-2011, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
" Coming up within the next couple of weeks, hope to avoid summer traffic."

I wouldn't worry about it this summer. I stopped at a popular boat launch today and nobody was there. It's the middle of July, gorgeous weather, low humidity and no bugs. No people either. This is the third time this month I have seen this at three different locations. The only time I have seen this before was during the Korean war and that was 60 years ago when the young men were all in Korea. Now it's the economy.
Could it be the heat as well as the economy? I'ts been really hot in Southern New England. Was this along the coast?

While I'm asking, how is real estate moving in your area? At a standstill or reasonably well?

Old 07-17-2011, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
There are 14 Single Family Homes and 11 Condominiums for sale in Cape Elizabeth with list prices of less than $300,000.

Of the 116 Single Family Homes sold in Cape Elizabeth over the past 12 months, 35 (30.1%) had sales prices of less than $300,000. Of the 20 Condominiums sold in Cape Elizabeth over the past 12 months, 13 (65%) had sales prices of less than $300,000.
This may come as a surprise, but anything over $200K may be a LOT (as in, too much) of money for very many people. So sales under $300K is interesting but still indicates a wealthy area.

Old 07-17-2011, 01:26 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,559,976 times
"While I'm asking, how is real estate moving in your area? At a standstill or reasonably well?"

The poster will not accept private messages and I can't answer such questions out front. It's a Catch 22 situation, but I can offer a full report to anybody who accepts private messages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine