Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 02:50 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times

Advertisements

"Would these be considered permanent improvements to the land? How would they be taxed? Would I need permits to construct them?"

You need a building permit for just about everything including a wood shed. Improvements are taxed on the value of the structure. Towns and LURC don't really care whether you consider them permanent.

"Now let's say that I wish to have flush toilets in each one of these cabins (I, along with my father and father-in-law would be fine with compost toilets but the womenfolk of the family feel differently )."

Any building to be used for habitation needs a septic design. You can use a composting or incinerating toilet if you like and your town permits that, but you still need to have a plan for your grey water. Most grey water systems today use an Elgen Indrain, a plastic tank that goes into a tiny leach field.

"How would a town look at non-permanent structures (the cabins) connected to a permanent well and septic system?"

There is little if any difference in the town's mind in how they regard improvements. In Lincoln for example, a home built back when they were using stone foundations was taken down over the last few weeks. There is an example of a temporary structure that existed for over 100 years and it's a good example of why towns don't differentiate between an applicant's description of what's temporary or permanent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 03:05 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deere110 View Post
Did I ever tell you how much I enjoy reading your replies? I do take issue with that making things complicated bit though-they (meaning the females) make things complicated. I'd just as soon find a fallen log and some good leaves!

I can easily see the mindset from which it may appear that females make life complicated.

But really I think that often they can be bribed into being reasonable.

I strive to do as much as I can without permits or taxes, and yet always fully compliant with all rules.

Old 05-27-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
There is very little in this state that is "non-taxed"; should or otherwise. If it's a structure it will get taxed unnless (in some cases) it is under $1,000. Even in the UT the state assessors will find it and the owner after a while and tax it. I've seen them work and heard the "war stories".
I see many 'camps'. As a camp they do not require a permit. As a camp they allow the land to stay in 'treegrowth' therefore not effecting the property taxes of the land, by making the land shift to residential.

It is possible as you point out that the camp may be taxed separately if the assessor desires to.

Old 05-27-2011, 03:30 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,884,828 times
In the UT perhaps, you can put a "camp" on tree growth land if there is no minimum lot size for such. I don't know. I never asked about that as I'm not in the UT. But in other than UT places they generally have minimum lot that you must have for building even a camp. As long as it isn't in the 10acre minimum tree growth lot then you're OK. Otherwise you'd be out of T/G and penalized, I would think. But where you are is UT and a totally differnt animal. Although the state itself is a totally dofferent animal. Shhh. Don't tell them I said that. They'll hunt me down.

Old 05-27-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
I would ask the town that you wish to do this in. They will be able to give you the real answers. we would be a bunch of guessers here.
HEY!! You speak for yourself!

Old 05-27-2011, 04:39 PM

"I see many 'camps'. As a camp they do not require a permit."

This is misleading for people unfamiliar with Maine. One man's camp is another man's castle. A camp is a place where you stay in your tent while on a canoe trip. In the morning you put your camp back in the canoe and go down river to your next camp.

Then there is the three story $750,000 custom built log home that the owner regards as his camp.

The DEP regards a non-folding wood picnic table as a "structure" and if it wasn't in their 1985 photo of your property it better be back 100 feet from the lake. There are many superstitions about land use rules in Maine. I was elected to a planning board in Maine in 1974. I'm on one now. Nobody knows them all; not the DEP, not LUC, not code enforcement officers and not me.

Old 05-27-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post

This is misleading for people unfamiliar with Maine. One man's camp is another man's castle. A camp is a place where you stay in your tent while on a canoe trip. In the morning you put your camp back in the canoe and go down river to your next camp.

Then there is the three story $750,000 custom built log home that the owner regards as his camp.

The DEP regards a non-folding wood picnic table as a "structure" and if it wasn't in their 1985 photo of your property it better be back 100 feet from the lake. There are many superstitions about land use rules in Maine. I was elected to a planning board in Maine in 1974. I'm on one now. Nobody knows them all; not the DEP, not LUC, not code enforcement officers and not me.
Then perhaps I am using the phrase incorrectly.

Wooden structures with no foundation; assumed to be a seasonal dwelling. In my talking to people these are called 'camps'.

Old 05-27-2011, 05:11 PM

My camp is 22 feet from the lake. It was legal back when it was built. It is on blocks. The blocks are portable. The blocks and camp move with the frost. The camp needs to be re-leveled from time to time. No need a building permit to build one. You need a soil test for your waste water drain. I had an incinerating toilet for about 5 years. Then I put in a septic tank which will need to be pumped until I get the leach field installed.

Back in 1968 the previous owner put a 275 gallon oil drum in the ground for a septic tank. It was bashed full of holes so it would leak into the ground. I nver used it. I never even hooked up water to the toilet because I didn't know what was there. I used a hospital type commode until we got the incinerating toilet.

My long term goal was to have a workable legal system and we have it. I was a guest at a beautiful log home overlooking the ocean. It was on bedrock and they had a legal septic system. The owner had parallel slots cut in the bedrock. The slabs were carefully removed and set back in place after the pipes and wires were installed. Anything is possible.

Old 05-27-2011, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Then perhaps I am using the phrase incorrectly.

Wooden structures with no foundation; assumed to be a seasonal dwelling. In my talking to people these are called 'camps'.

A rose by any other name.... If it is a structure it should have a permit and is taxable when ( although, if) found. Semantics is generally irrellevent. (Awww how the heck do you spell that????)

Old 05-27-2011, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post

At a class Last Tuesday the DEP rep said that in calculating lot coverage even ledge was brought into the picture. I knew they considered paving stones and picnic tables as "structures but ledge?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: