Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 08:56 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,202,798 times

Advertisements

Why don't you call Augusta LUPC and/or DEP and get directed to factual responses instead of politically motivated claptrap? The truth might be refreshing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 09:32 AM

527 posts, read 422,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post
Why don't you call Augusta LUPC and/or DEP and get directed to factual responses instead of politically motivated claptrap? The truth might be refreshing.
Not sure whom you're talking to.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:37 AM

You. Honestly. You may find the misleading politics a bit different from the straightforward requirements of construction, site development and waste disposal information obtainable from the State.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:44 AM

Quote:
You. Honestly. You may find the misleading politics a bit different from the straightforward requirements of construction, site development and waste disposal information obtainable from the State.
So, what I'm trying to understand is in "unorganized territories" it's only the LURC and not anything else that sets the rules? I can find out formal requirements from LURC, for sure, but in some cases answers from them will not be starightforward. I suspect this would be the case with grandfathered camp properties built as full-time dwellings, as there're too many things that don't have clear answers about these and would be entirely up to individual inspector's personal preferences (if they come out at all).

Also, such camp may not need certificate of occupancy, as such is only required in municipalities with not under 2,000 population, seems like, if it's inside municpal town (organized). But in LURC parcels certificate of compliance may be issued instread but not required (seems like in some organized towns it might be easier than in unorganized). And with LURC "Advisory Rulings" and "pre-existing non-conforming structures" seems like entire grey area... Important to check with LURC for existing violations recorded at least.

Example of why I don't necessarily trust calling "authorities" : there's a county in one of the states where pretty much most houses had been permitted as garages, to avoid restrictive state-wide building code. What do you think they'll tell you if you call the county before making the purchase? To bring it to code, of course--this is what they'll tell *over the phone*. In real life, I had seen in the forums several years ago their building inspector who was trying to enforce codes ended up very badly. So, something they tell over the phone might be different from real life...

Last edited by opossum1; 03-30-2015 at 10:12 AM..

Old 03-30-2015, 10:12 AM

Land Use Planning Commission, now called, since Lepage wanted "planning" instead of "regulatory." Basic LUPC rules apply Statewide. For the most part, organized municipalities can have rules more stringent (for reasons like high quality coldwater pond, development, etc.) like a 1 acre minimum lot size, but generally can't be less stringent than LUPC rules. The DEP restrictions are generally watershed quality, etc. (Department of environmental protection). Both DEP and LUPC are despised by those that want to run their toilet straight into the nearest body of water, or continue to change their oil straight onto the ground like in the "good old days".

It doesn't take much to get on the phone and track down a knowledgeable LUPC and/or DEP employee to get directions where to start, and maybe get the truth for a change.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Land Use Planning Commission, now called, since Lepage wanted "planning" instead of "regulatory." Basic LUPC rules apply Statewide. For the most part, organized municipalities can have rules more stringent (for reasons like high quality coldwater pond, development, etc.) like a 1 acre minimum lot size, but generally can't be less stringent than LUPC rules. The DEP restrictions are generally watershed quality, etc. (Department of environmental protection). Both DEP and LUPC are despised by those that want to run their toilet straight into the nearest body of water, or continue to change their oil straight onto the ground like in the "good old days".

It doesn't take much to get on the phone and track down a knowledgeable LUPC and/or DEP employee to get directions where to start, and maybe get the truth for a change.
Some of these things make me wonder if I'd be better off getting undeveloped parcel, since water is abundant in Maine and wells don't run deep/low risk drilling. I'm not thrilled with the idea of living in pre-existing older building as it may contain asbestos (had such house before, built in 1930s), and would rather put a little moveable log cabin (with sizes of all areas meeting IBC minimums and excellent R-value) on property instead. Such wouldn't offend anyone's sensibilities in terms of the way it looks, by the way, as they build some really neat cabins like this . One reason for non-permanent cabin is so that if things come to worst I could easily relocate it to another parcel (examples: someone is building a powerplant or a highway next to me, urbanization or just bad neighbors case...never know what may happen).

Since LUPC controls all unorganized territory townships, they should probably have one uniform rule regarding living in non-permanent structures for all their parcels. (one way around "no" would be getting a cheaper fixer existing legal home/manufactured and adding your towable cabin as "outbuilding"/office, I guess, using older structure just as storage)

Last edited by opossum1; 03-30-2015 at 11:36 AM..

Old 03-30-2015, 03:54 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,679,925 times
52% of Mine is governed by LUPC. The people who live there don't even get to vote for those who rule them. However, there are pockets of freedom that still exist in Maine. You just need to know where to look. LUPC most assuredly does NOT have one uniform rule. By the way, it will cost you $100 to ask your question. I know one landowner who is still waiting for an answer EIGHT YEARS LATER! Better to locate in a low population, low hassle town where you can get truthful answers free of charge.

I have a relative who was told what he "should do" and what he "needed to do". Those are not laws or rules. They are what the bureaucrat would like you to do. He called me regarding his problem. I copied the page out of the law book and sent a Fax of it to him. He showed it to the LURC guy and was told, "OK, you can do that." As Jack Webb used to say as he was playing Sgt. Friday; "The facts ma'am, just the facts."

Old 03-30-2015, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
52% of Mine is governed by LUPC. The people who live there don't even get to vote for those who rule them. However, there are pockets of freedom that still exist in Maine. You just need to know where to look. LUPC most assuredly does NOT have one uniform rule. By the way, it will cost you $100 to ask your question. I know one landowner who is still waiting for an answer EIGHT YEARS LATER! Better to locate in a low population, low hassle town where you can get truthful answers free of charge.

I have a relative who was told what he "should do" and what he "needed to do". Those are not laws or rules. They are what the bureaucrat would like you to do. He called me regarding his problem. I copied the page out of the law book and sent a Fax of it to him. He showed it to the LURC guy and was told, "OK, you can do that." As Jack Webb used to say as he was playing Sgt. Friday; "The facts ma'am, just the facts."
I see. Basically, non-LUPC parcels have enforcement by municipalities, but under 2,000 population municipality doesn't have to enforce at all (and LUPC won't come in there). They may enforce but don't have to and one has to locate such that is tolerant.

As to rules for non-permanent or manufactured structures between different LUPC parcels: yes, I see that this may depend on flood zone, for example. I found LUPC document which requires all such be on secure foundation or stay for 90 days max, if in the flood zone, but no information as to non-flood areas.

Probably the further away from 95 the better, in NW direction...

Last edited by opossum1; 03-30-2015 at 04:24 PM..

Old 03-30-2015, 04:20 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,240,442 times
"I see. Basically, non-LUPC parcels have enforcement by municipalities, but under 2,000 population municipality doesn't have to enforce at all (and LUPC won't come in there). They may enforce but don't have to and one has to locate such that is tolerant."

All towns have the same minimum shoreland rules they have to enforce. They can have stricter rules. Don't get yourself confused. Whatever town/area you are looking at, go and get yourself a copy of the rules they have. It's a lot more reliable than asking a bunch o strangers on a website.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
"I see. Basically, non-LUPC parcels have enforcement by municipalities, but under 2,000 population municipality doesn't have to enforce at all (and LUPC won't come in there). They may enforce but don't have to and one has to locate such that is tolerant."

All towns have the same minimum shoreland rules they have to enforce. They can have stricter rules. Don't get yourself confused. Whatever town/area you are looking at, go and get yourself a copy of the rules they have. It's a lot more reliable than asking a bunch o strangers on a website.
What about this? (from Maine Bureau of Building Codes and Standards):

Current law states that towns under 2,000 do not have to enforce the MUBEC, which as of September 28, 2011 will state that towns under 4,000 residents may choose to adopt code(s) or to not have a code. Until then, the current statewide adopted MUBEC is in place.

**4. It clarifies that a certificate of occupancy demonstrating compliance with the Maine Uniform Building and Energy Code is required only of buildings located in municipalities with more than 2,000 inhabitants in accordance with the required enforcement and inspection options; and
[2,000 is being increased to 4,000]

From the same site:

FAQ ABOUT THE MAINE UNIFORM BUILDING AND
ENERGY CODE ADOPTION

The Maine Uniform Building and Energy Code is effective June 1st, 2010.
Towns with a population under 2,000 are not required to enforce the code.

And from Maine Natural Resourced Council website:
Page 3
340 Towns & Plantations with Population < 2000
No Enforcement Obligation of Any Kind
...... list of 340 towns (organized)

So is LUPC enforcing statewide code in these organized townships or there's no enforcement required at all in such under 2,000? If not required, some may not enforce anything, then.

--------------

Unfortunately I'm not in a position to walk in every town office for every property I might be potentially interested in that I see listed...and even what you hear from them, might be not what's acutally seen, in real life. I'm trying to get a scope which would allow me to eliminate a set of properties and not even bother with them in the future.

Last edited by opossum1; 03-30-2015 at 10:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: