Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 09:01 AM

527 posts, read 423,043 times

Advertisements

So far I got a list of 340 towns that don't need to enforce building codes + unorganized territories... I'm guessing the tax will always be higher in municipality versus unorganized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 09:16 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by opossum1 View Post
Sounds like a reasonable permit process to me, compared to what's in other states. Good idea about cut-and-paste from DEP site.
Last summer one of my neighbors had knocked down their previous house. A contractor wanted to site where the new pad should go to allow a modular to be parked there. I stopped by to see if I could assist. I have my own copy of the town tax-map and my deed, so we needed to measure from my corner, the width of their property. They showed me their 'original' deed. Half of their deed was typed [with a typewriter missing letters and the letter it did print were not in good alignment] and half of their deed was hand-written.

It included a hand-drawn 'map', not enough close to scale.

Before we measured with steel tapes, the contractor was going to lay the new pad crossing a property line onto the next property. Thankfully we verified where the property lines really are, before any concrete was poured.

It would not surprise me at all, if we have Mainers who have owned homes for many generations, and their deeds are hand-written on restaurant place settings or napkins.

I am originally from California. This is the fifth home I have owned, I have seen how things are done in a lot of different places. I do enjoy Maine

Many things done in Maine can not be compared to other states.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:25 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,242,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I believe you can expand an old dwelling, but it must be done at a controlled rate. Like 10% square-footage per year, so to double your footprint would take 10 years [or something like that].

You can generally jack-up a house to put a foundation under it.

But if your house burned down completely [thank God our Fire Departments rarely lose a concrete foundation], and if you wanted to re-construct on the same foot-print, you would need a permit.

LUPC sends out a monthly email with all permits they have approved each month, etc. I recently read one where the owner had wanted to rebuild on a foundation after a house fire [which sounds normal, no big thing]. But his plans showed that he wanted to expand the new house to sit too close to the road pavement [violating setback regulations]. LUPC turned down that application. Imagine the county plow truck coming along and burying half your house under 20 tons of snow, because your house sits so close to the pavement. Or worse yet, when the plow-truck extends it's 'wings' to clear the shoulders of the road. This is usually when the truck may nail your mailbox, but what if he nailed your house and swept away a corner of your bedroom. Ouch !
It's actually 30% by area or volume, which ever is least. That is for the lifetime of the structure. You wouldn't ever be allowed to double the size.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:32 AM

Quote:
... I'm guessing the tax will always be higher in municipality versus unorganized.
That is a general rule of thumb here.

Paying someone a salary costs more than not pay anyone salaries.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
It's actually 30% by area or volume, which ever is least. That is for the lifetime of the structure. You wouldn't ever be allowed to double the size.
My tax assessor explained it differently to me.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Eww, must be quite a scene--you got an igloo, then... my own plans don't include expansions or getting closer to the road/reducing setback (I'd rather go in another direction if it's very close already).
Our house is 100+ yards from the road. It would have been further from the road, but there is a river floodplain in the way. I got as far from the road as I could.

Old 03-31-2015, 10:19 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,242,141 times
Quote:
My tax assessor explained it differently to me.
The state explained it quite clearly to me several times.

Old 03-31-2015, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Last summer one of my neighbors had knocked down their previous house. A contractor wanted to site where the new pad should go to allow a modular to be parked there. I stopped by to see if I could assist. I have my own copy of the town tax-map and my deed, so we needed to measure from my corner, the width of their property. They showed me their 'original' deed. Half of their deed was typed [with a typewriter missing letters and the letter it did print were not in good alignment] and half of their deed was hand-written.

It included a hand-drawn 'map', not enough close to scale.

Before we measured with steel tapes, the contractor was going to lay the new pad crossing a property line onto the next property. Thankfully we verified where the property lines really are, before any concrete was poured.

It would not surprise me at all, if we have Mainers who have owned homes for many generations, and their deeds are hand-written on restaurant place settings or napkins.

I am originally from California. This is the fifth home I have owned, I have seen how things are done in a lot of different places. I do enjoy Maine

Many things done in Maine can not be compared to other states.
Some might still have the original land grant paper

As to the other states and specifically the West Coast, I'm guessing that the the Black flies keep the armies of people with money away from buying Maine properties, which helps with building codes probably. Otherwise, would be a big minimum footage and insane permit process (so that it could be taxed and charged for permits, plus let various individuals to make $$ of "constructing it all to code" down to helping chose the color of the garden hose)--just look at the West Coast, even the state of Washington.

Last edited by opossum1; 03-31-2015 at 10:53 AM..

Old 03-31-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Some might still have the original land grant paper

As to the other states and specifically the West Coast, I'm guessing that the the Black flies keep the armies of people with money away from buying Maine properties, which helps with building codes probably. Otherwise, would be a big minimum footage and insane permit process (so that it could be taxed and charged for permits, plus let various individuals to make $$ of "constructing it all to code" down to helping chose the color of the garden hose)--just look at the West Coast, even the state of Washington.
I have owned homes in California and in Washington. From my experience Maine is entirely different.

Old 03-31-2015, 02:06 PM

Quote:
I have owned homes in California and in Washington. From my experience Maine is entirely different.
Even in these, there're still pockets where no enforcement occurs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: