Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 06:05 PM

228 posts, read 218,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucsgirl View Post
do you mean the bugs or the people???
Good Question!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 10:38 PM

32 posts, read 76,279 times
ok, we're coming up in a couple weeks for an interview. any ideas on must-see places to get a good idea of what we'd be getting into, moving to the scarborough area? are the leaves changing yet?

Old 10-01-2007, 11:09 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,429,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucsgirl View Post
ok, we're coming up in a couple weeks for an interview. any ideas on must-see places to get a good idea of what we'd be getting into, moving to the scarborough area? are the leaves changing yet?
I think you should check out the Portland waterfront! Commercial St and the 'Old Port' section. Funky shops, nice restaurants and brew pubs!

Old 10-06-2007, 01:25 PM

653 posts, read 1,909,836 times
Default site-plan / taxes

forrest, back in August you said
" I did mess-up in the design of our site-plan which has bumped up our taxes. So our future taxes will be higher. However it was entirely due to my site-plan. Now I know better."

what make site-plan become factors of property taxes. Big foot print?.

Old 10-06-2007, 02:21 PM

276 posts, read 789,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wither98 View Post
WOW, I guess a lot of people from Florida are moving to Maine! My husband is from Maine, born and raised. he came to Florida in 94 which is when I met him. I visited Maine for the first time in 96 and knew I needed to live there. We finally bought 10 acres in Benton and have been slowly getting it ready to build and move my horse farm and training business there. We hope to be fully moved up by next year.
I HATE Florida weather, the people, just about anything about Florida ! Maine seems to have much more intelligent people, it is naturally beautiful (unlike Florida which is filled with developments and flat land) and MUCH better weather. Anything above 70 is too hot for me and I dispise any month in Florida other than January. The people are so different. Some are weary of outsiders but we have had a welcome reaction from 95% of the people. It will be a HUGE culture shock for you in a good way.
I don't know why I really wrote this, I have no point really! I just wanted to touch base with a fellow soon to be ex Floridian. What part of Florida?? We're coming from Brooksville north of Tampa. (Also a HUGE Bucs fan by the way!) We'll have to look eachother up when you make it up here! Good luck!! And get out of that damn state before it sinks or gets blown away by a hurricane!
Krissy
Well, I guess I couldn't have said it any better. My log in name really says it all. I am looking into several different areas of the country, but I am definitely leaving this hot and flat swamp. I only came here from CA due to my mother's illness, and I am desperate to get out. You'll love Maine. I wish that I was going with you. I am attempting to secure employment in ME as well as several other states AWAY from Florida. I utterly detest this place. I'm in central Florida. I just can't figure out why anyone could like this place, but I guess the old adage holds true--"to each his own." Good Luck my friend!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-06-2007, 04:51 PM

32 posts, read 76,279 times
can anyone tell me what limington and limerick are like? although a bit further from scarborough than i'd like, there seem to be some good housing/land values there. are the schools as good as gorham, scarborough schools seem to be and are the towns nice?

Old 10-06-2007, 07:03 PM

37,239 posts, read 60,963,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boonskyler View Post
forrest, back in August you said
" I did mess-up in the design of our site-plan which has bumped up our taxes. So our future taxes will be higher. However it was entirely due to my site-plan. Now I know better."

what make site-plan become factors of property taxes. Big foot print?.
Yes, my land is in treegrowth. My treegrowth management plan allows for 40 foot wide access roads to be cut wherever I deem needed. Had I dropped a 'cabin' on skids, then no land need be removed from it's treegrowth status. I could had dropped a 20' by 30' cabin and my taxes need not have changed.

Not knowing this, I put in a hard driveway, cut open a hole for a big foundation, poured a concrete foundation and built a 40' by 60' house; which then required that one acre of land come out of treegrowth status.

Old 10-07-2007, 07:14 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,489,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridahater View Post
Well, I guess I couldn't have said it any better. My log in name really says it all. I am looking into several different areas of the country, but I am definitely leaving this hot and flat swamp. I only came here from CA due to my mother's illness, and I am desperate to get out. You'll love Maine. I wish that I was going with you. I am attempting to secure employment in ME as well as several other states AWAY from Florida. I utterly detest this place. I'm in central Florida. I just can't figure out why anyone could like this place, but I guess the old adage holds true--"to each his own." Good Luck my friend!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ditto on the good luck!! Florida hater, my dad lives in Clearwater and can't understand that when I take my infrequent vacations ('bout once every 4 years) why I would rather head to Eastport than to him. At least somebody gets it!~

Old 10-07-2007, 05:44 PM

653 posts, read 1,909,836 times
Default treegrowth status taxes

"Not knowing this, I put in a hard driveway, cut open a hole for a big foundation, poured a concrete foundation and built a 40' by 60' house; which then required that one acre of land come out of treegrowth status."
forest,
i have about 100 acres in ellsworth and plan to build a small house there, i hate to loose treegrowth status taxes, it is significantly difference compared to my neighbor next lot over which is not on treegrowth status. If it only take out only the portion developed not the whole lot,that is not to bad.
thanks.

Old 10-07-2007, 07:13 PM

276 posts, read 789,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama6685 View Post
Ditto on the good luck!! Florida hater, my dad lives in Clearwater and can't understand that when I take my infrequent vacations ('bout once every 4 years) why I would rather head to Eastport than to him. At least somebody gets it!~

By the Grace of God, I will out of this steam trap soon. I will just keep praying!!! I guess your dad is happy in Clearwater, but personally I'm with you and I would take Eastport any day of the week!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine