Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 07:44 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,320,317 times

Advertisements

I didn't even look at any of the possible houses I might buy on MDI that still had dirt floors. I crossed them off my list early, and I also told the broker I needed indoor plumbing. I'm not sure how many houses in Bar Harbor were knocked off the list by these demands, but probably a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 08:15 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,886,744 times
Working Waterfront had an ignorant, condescending, poem this issue. Stating that there is a second Maine coming over the bridge at Verona Island. The shift from sophisticated humans to poor relations. He expected to see a border crossing. Some folks need a good cuff to the back of the head with a 2x6.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:26 AM

14 posts, read 65,699 times
I'm visiting Maine for the first time next week, and these are the stereotypes I have heard.

-Everyone in Maine is as odd as the characters in the Stephen King novels. (On a sidenote, I'm surprised there hasn't been a town in Maine that wanted to change their name to Derry to capitalize on King's novels.)

-People in Maine are fiercely proud of their state. Locals will approach you and tell you random facts about Maine. "Did you know that Maine is the only state with one syllable?"

-In the summer, the coastal towns are filled with rude, snobby, rich folk from Massachusetts.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:06 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyNamedTracy View Post
... -In the summer, the coastal towns are filled with rude, snobby, rich folk from Massachusetts.
And Connecticut, R.I., NY, and Canada.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:07 AM

642 posts, read 1,255,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpero99 View Post
That's funny, all the messages posted seem be true. I can't really say becaues I've only known some for few years. Is it true that you are all related?
Jonesport land owner.
Yes, the family tree is a wreath

Old 06-09-2011, 07:12 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,032,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyNamedTracy View Post
I'm visiting Maine for the first time next week, and these are the stereotypes I have heard.

-Everyone in Maine is as odd as the characters in the Stephen King novels.
Curiously, just the other day in the Bangor Daily News:

Hermon man gets disorderly conduct warning after exposing buttocks

HERMON, Maine — A Hermon man was given a disorderly conduct warning Tuesday night after allegedly exposing his buttocks to motorists passing by his Route 2 home.

. . . . . .

When police arrived the first time they were called out Tuesday night, Thibodeau was clad in pajama bottoms, Deputy Jay Hallett said.

“His buttocks were definitely exposed. He was wiggling them at us when we pulled in,” Hallett said, adding that Thibodeau was “very intoxicated at the time.” Thibodeau also had a small bonfire going and there were empty beer cans strewn around his yard, Hallett said.

. . . . . .

“It happens a couple of times every summer, when the weather starts to warm up,” Hallett said. “A lot of times he’s on the roof.

Link: Hermon man gets disorderly conduct warning after exposing buttocks — Maine News — Bangor Daily News

Old 06-10-2011, 07:47 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
I can actually add to this because when I told people in Miami that I was moving to Maine, I heard:

It's too cold there, they have snow from September to May.

It's boring, there is nothing to do.

Everyone is clanish because they have all lived there for generations.

Even though everyone speaks English, I still won't be able to understand anyone because of the accent.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:11 AM

16,671 posts, read 15,665,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMama View Post
Even though everyone speaks English, I still won't be able to understand anyone because of the accent.
I've seen this happen a couple of times, usually have to do with the letter R, sometime present where it isn't needed and often missing where one should be.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:41 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,886,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMama View Post
I can actually add to this because when I told people in Miami that I was moving to Maine, I heard:

It's too cold there, they have snow from September to May.

It's boring, there is nothing to do.

Everyone is clanish because they have all lived there for generations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I've seen this happen a couple of times, usually have to do with the letter R, sometime present where it isn't needed and often missing where one should be.
A few southern folk have commented on my "accent" and not using R's. I let them know that they dropped theirs also but that up north we just didn't drag out the "ahhh" as long as they did. Bar="Are ya goin the bah tonight?" (Maine) and "Ya'll goin to the baaahhh tonight?" (Southern).

Go ahead; try saying it in both ways.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:41 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,390,639 times
Default 50 State Stereotypes in 2 minutes

Maine's is pretty cool. What else could it really be.

YouTube - ‪50 State Stereotypes (in 2 minutes)‬‏
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine