Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 10:53 AM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NS4Life View Post
yeah, no dogs allowed in Baxter. In fact 10 or so years ago, the superintendant of the park would not let a blind man finish the appalachian trail b/c of his seeing eye dog. luckily that guy is gone, but they are very strict there.
knifes edge is a mile of ridge, sometime 18" wide, with 2-3k foot drops on both sides. it is awesome!! look it up on youtube, its pretty cool.
Woah! That is crazy! And that is definitely not a place for the dogs anyway, (Knife's Edge). I am going to go look for a video now...

So...tell me...will I be seeing any moose in Baxter State Park?

And, completely serious here folks, what do I do if I DO see a moose? Will it really charge at me? Really?

Old 06-03-2011, 10:59 AM

414 posts, read 302,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMama View Post
Woah! That is crazy! And that is definitely not a place for the dogs anyway, (Knife's Edge). I am going to go look for a video now...

So...tell me...will I be seeing any moose in Baxter State Park?

And, completely serious here folks, what do I do if I DO see a moose? Will it really charge at me? Really?
TONS of moose there. I saw a bear cub as well.
oncei was driving through there at night (proba little too fast) came around the bend and a moose reared up on its hind legs, turned and ran away. i almost had a heart attack.

if you go on youtube and search baxter moose, you will see ridiculous people getting so close to the moose, even ones with calfs!! don't do that!! keep your distance or momma moose will stomp you. mostly they will just ignore you. but why risk it?

Old 06-03-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NS4Life View Post
TONS of moose there. I saw a bear cub as well.
oncei was driving through there at night (proba little too fast) came around the bend and a moose reared up on its hind legs, turned and ran away. i almost had a heart attack.

if you go on youtube and search baxter moose, you will see ridiculous people getting so close to the moose, even ones with calfs!! don't do that!! keep your distance or momma moose will stomp you. mostly they will just ignore you. but why risk it?
Ok, I looked up videos for Knife Edge...HOLY! Carrrrrrrp! Oh man...I don't know...that might be just a little too much for me. I'm still gonna try it, though. Talk about an adrenaline rush!

And the videos for the moose...magnificent animals but yes, some of those people are insane getting that close.

So..let's say you are hiking along, minding your own business when you accidentally come up on a moose...closer than you'd like...what do you do? Run? Stand still? Faint dead away?

Old 06-03-2011, 12:40 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Sometimes we will see a cow with calf grazing in the ditches of our road. Once a calf decided to run alongside and to pace my car, that was neat.

I have been kayaking, came around a bend and saw a cow and calf grazing ahead of me on one bank of the creek. I paddled to the other side of the creek and ignored them. They ignored me too. Had they been in the center of the creek I might have decided to turn around.

I generally handle them the same as bear when I walk up on one.

Once when I first moved here, I had a pile of brush to burn and got home after dark. No moon so it was really dark. I went up to the pile, got on my knees messing with matches and grass to get the bon fire going, when I felt hot moist breath on my neck complete with lots of slobber. A moose had walked up behind me and was curious to see what I was doing [Maybe he wanted to help with the matches]. I was somewhat startled by him, but I think it scared him more, he ran hard and fast into the forest. The next day I was looking at the trail he left behind and saw where he had knocked trees down in his haste.

Old 06-03-2011, 01:18 PM

414 posts, read 302,703 times
Quote:
Ok, I looked up videos for Knife Edge...HOLY! Carrrrrrrp! Oh man...I don't know...that might be just a little too much for me. I'm still gonna try it, though. Talk about an adrenaline rush!

And the videos for the moose...magnificent animals but yes, some of those people are insane getting that close.

So..let's say you are hiking along, minding your own business when you accidentally come up on a moose...closer than you'd like...what do you do? Run? Stand still? Faint dead away?
i would walk backwards slowly... that is not professional advice, just what i would do...

Old 06-03-2011, 02:04 PM

325 posts, read 705,764 times
Will you become Fiddlehead Mama now?

Just curious, whatcha doing for work?

Old 06-04-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan_Lanctot View Post
Will you become Fiddlehead Mama now?

Just curious, whatcha doing for work?
Naw, but I do think I should probably change my name at some point. I've never had a fiddlehead, only seen photos of them...so I have no idea if I like them or not.

Regarding work, I'm not going to get specific, just say it's...customer service.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:34 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,535,602 times
Quote:
I was going to do it. Then I got to Chimney Pond and saw it from a different angle. Not me! I have a friend who kept telling me I had to see the view from up there. So I went to Katahdin Air and flew over it. He's right, it's a fantastic view.

Quote:
Sandy Stream Pond in Baxter State Park is an excellent place to get close to the moose. They've known people at the pond since birth. They're wild animals of course, but they're a lot less skittish than moose not accustomed to people. Watch their body language and don't try to touch them.

Quote:
Watch to see what it's going to do. Don't get between a cow and calf and don't move toward a bull in rut (in the fall). Moose will probably take a good look at you and head off into the woods.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
I was going to do it. Then I got to Chimney Pond and saw it from a different angle. Not me! I have a friend who kept telling me I had to see the view from up there. So I went to Katahdin Air and flew over it. He's right, it's a fantastic view.
Haha! That's great! I may end up like you, go up there thinking I'm going to do it and then see it in real life and think.....nah...not right now.

Quote:
Sandy Stream Pond in Baxter State Park is an excellent place to get close to the moose. They've known people at the pond since birth. They're wild animals of course, but they're a lot less skittish than moose not accustomed to people. Watch their body language and don't try to touch them.
I know nothing about moose body language. I guess it's time to start searching the internets for information.

Quote:
Watch to see what it's going to do. Don't get between a cow and calf and don't move toward a bull in rut (in the fall). Moose will probably take a good look at you and head off into the woods.
I know enough not to ever get between a momma and her baby...not on purpose, that is. Like I said, I don't know the first thing about their body language and what it's telling me. I can tell you everything about an alligator's body language...and I actually feel safer around them right now than a moose...especially because gators aren't going to put up a long chase. Easy to outrun them. But moose?

And what if they don't, "probably" head off in to the woods? What the heck do you do if one decides to charge you?

Old 06-04-2011, 11:50 AM

30,488 posts, read 16,198,344 times
run fast and pray faster?

just a suggestion.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine