Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 01:34 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
I have heard that wrapping the posts with several layers of polyethylene is supposed to prevent them from being 'pulled' up in this manner. The layers of plastic 'slide' so that the post isn't pulled.

YMMV, I don't know for a fact if it works but is *sounds* plausible.
Many people have told me about doing that. [wrapping a sonotube with garbage bags]

I have a big project coming up this summer and I was planning on using sonotubes wrapped in plastic. However now seeing the plastic cones, I am wondering if these might be better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 02:38 PM

121 posts, read 338,037 times
Since the plastic forms are tapered, the frost tends to lift away from the pier, rather than grabbing it and lifting. However, if you are using wood, don't scrimp on the pea gravel and drainage, and wrapping it in poly will tend to help prevent the frost from getting a good hold on it. Frost is wily, though, and will grab the pier that is the hardest to get to and repair...

Old 06-08-2011, 02:40 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
How does pea gravel effect frost heaving?

Old 06-08-2011, 07:17 PM

973 posts, read 2,380,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
How does pea gravel effect frost heaving?
I don't agree that a little pea stone in the bottom of the hole will do much. The concept is that the pea stone will provide drainage. But if there is no where for the water to go once the pea stone is saturated, it might make you feel better, but won't prevent water from accumulating and frost action when it freezes. Google "rubble foundation" and you will see another concept that might actually work. If the entire load bearing trench is built so that water can escape, there won't be much frost movement. But, saturated ground will freeze and frost movement will occur because water expands when it freezes. Frost not only causes an up and down movement, but any post below ground will be pushed downhill. So if you have an area not totally level, say the building is on posts or sauna tubes where the building is level, but the posts are 6 inches above grade on one end of the building and the posts are 18 inches above grade on the other end. The posts will be kicked toward the downhill end of the building by frost over time. Use the footing tubes and they will never move. The tubes are 60 inches tall, and if you put them 5 ft underground, you will never have frost move them because the bell flair on the bottom is just too much surface below the frost line.
I also will say that anything that only sits on the ground will be moved by frost. The more water that saturates the ground, the more frost movement. The problem is that frost will go deeper under the outside of the building than it will near the center because the building provides some heat protection. Frost breaks rocks, it will move your building with no effort if there is water that freezes in the ground under the building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine