U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 01:53 AM

19 posts, read 50,536 times

Advertisements

Hello!
I'm j1 student from Europe and at the end of June I'm planning to arrive to the USA for summer Work and Travel Program.
I thought I was having job provided in Hyannis, Massachusetts, but my potential employer called me yesterday, that unfortunately he won't hire me this summer. Now I'm wondering if it isn't to big risk to come and look for a summer job after arrival? I will stay in the USA till the beginning of October. I have to decide where should I go- I would like not to have difficulty with finding summer job (I'd rather prefere East Coast) and I need some advice.
I would be grateful for your answer. thanks a lot!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 06:40 AM

1,473 posts, read 2,986,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandra.c View Post
Hello!
I'm j1 student from Europe and at the end of June I'm planning to arrive to the USA for summer Work and Travel Program.
I thought I was having job provided in Hyannis, Massachusetts, but my potential employer called me yesterday, that unfortunately he won't hire me this summer. Now I'm wondering if it isn't to big risk to come and look for a summer job after arrival? I will stay in the USA till the beginning of October. I have to decide where should I go- I would like not to have difficulty with finding summer job (I'd rather prefere East Coast) and I need some advice.
Oh boy. I won't go into my feelings on the exchange visitor program. Let's just say this. The US currently has a 9.1 unemployment rate, and probably a REAL unemployment rate double that. Maine is a poor state and probably is even worse than that. I would like to think that your chances of finding employment here are very small, and they probably are.

What is the unemployment rate where you live? If it is less, and you really want to work, I wouldn't even think about it.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:02 AM

7,010 posts, read 8,211,660 times
Quote:
Hello!
It's definitely a risk...but only *you* can decide if it's *too much* risk. Will you have enough money to get by if you don't find work right away...or at all? Or is it absolutely necessary that you have work in order to afford the trip?

What kind of work did you have lined up, and how easy/difficult would it be to get a similar job? Are you willing to take a lesser job that might be more easily obtained?

How badly do you want to make this trip, and how determined are you to make it happen? Do you have a 'fallback' plan to get back home if the worst-case scenario occurs (you dont find any work and you run out of money)?

Someone with a sense of adventure who is creative, determined and flexible can often find a way where others can't...but times are tough here and there are a lot of people out of work, so it could be more difficult than it might have been a few years ago.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:45 AM

3,638 posts, read 5,823,058 times
Quote:
Hello!
Now I'm wondering if it isn't to big risk to come and look for a summer job after arrival?

Yes it is a big risk unless you have bankrolled some money to live on and to get back if you don't find anything. If you do, then it's not so much of a risk. There are a lot of job seekers here.

Many college students work in Bar Harbor during the summer - you could try jobsinme.com. This is one listing:

Bar Harbor Inn employment - summer jobs in Bar Harbor Maine near Acadia National Park, H2B extension jobs, Culinary Externs

Good luck.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:48 AM

460 posts, read 731,742 times
Quite a few exchange students who work in York Beach over the summer, as well. Good Luck!

Old 06-09-2011, 08:07 AM

Hi there!
thank you for your answers...
The idea of Work and Travel Program is to get lifetime experience during few months stay in States. I have enough money to cover the travel costs, all necessary documents (visa and so one), and cash for the start, but definitely I won't have enough money to stay there for the three months of summer!
The money that exchange students earn, they mostly spend for life in the U.S, shopping and some travel, so we are not coming to EARN big money and take them home- I suppose it's a lot easier to do in Europe nowadays.

I'm 22 years old dental medicine student, and have some previous job experience. Our visa allows us to work legally mostly in hospitality business- restaurants, pubs, hotels, also shops etc...

I am soooo desperate to make this trip- I've been planning it for months or even longer, put so much time, money and hope and every thing seemed to be perfect till I didn't get those phone call, that I won't be hired...
but I don't want to give up that's why I'm asking for advice, also someone who knows turist industry and can indicate few places with seasonal opportunities.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:44 AM

949 posts, read 2,180,760 times
Quote:
Hello!
If you are coming on a J1 visa, you probably will be denied entry when you get here if your job fell through. The system your visa will be checked against is called SEVIS.
International Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) - About Us
When you arrive here on a J1 visa, SEVIS will be checked. It will show the inspector who your sponsor is. If you have no job, you also have no sponsor, and that will be quickly determined. Your prospective employer would have had to make some entries in SEVIS in order for your J1 visa to be valid.You will not make entry on a J1 visa without everything in SEVIS being in order.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:46 AM

My experience is that most J-1's, in good economic times, worked in areas where there was a small resident population and no Americans willing to do what was necessary to board there. For example, Bar Harbor has/had a large tourist industry and exhausted the local labor pool of resident students very quickly. J-1's were willing to live 10 to a room and were able to fill the gap. So those are the types of places I would be looking at. I'm not sure how this year is going to be and whether or not those jobs will be there (or anywhere in Maine).

Old 06-09-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysmith View Post
If you are coming on a J1 visa, you probably will be denied entry when you get here if your job fell through. The system your visa will be checked against is called SEVIS.
When you arrive here on a J1 visa, SEVIS will be checked. It will show the inspector who your sponsor is. If you have no job, you also have no sponsor, and that will be quickly determined. Your prospective employer would have had to make some entries in SEVIS in order for your J1 visa to be valid.You will not make entry on a J1 visa without everything in SEVIS being in order.
That's a very good point. You would have to find the job BEFORE you got here. If your old employer did not update SEVIS in order for you to arrive and seek work, they would be barred from accepting future J1's. Also, look on the back of your IAP 66 and there are questions you have to answer at the time of entry. If you lie in order to gain entry, you will never be allowed to return to the US.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysmith View Post
I am on the CCUSA work Experience Program participating as an exchange visitor to the United States, sponsored by their parent company Camp Counselors USA. Camp Counselors USA is designated by the U.S. State Department as a sponsor of Exchange Visitor Programs. CCUSA Work Experience participants are entering the United States on Program No. P-4-
5533. This is a J-1 visa program designated for Summer/Work Travel (Federal Register, "Regulations Governing Exchange Visitor Programs", Vol. 58, No. 52, Subpart G, Part 514.8). My program is called "Work and Travel Independent" which means that I can come to USA and look for a job after arrival. But I'm wondering is there anything to look for...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>