Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 04:45 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,345,327 times

Advertisements

I have been looking to relocate my family from a small central NH town (2000+/-people) to something similar in Maine. I had relatives in Machias and love the area but worry about the availability of jobs. I also have been searching in Ellsworth areas, Bangor areas and Bradford/Milo area. There seems to be plenty of affordable properties in most of these areas but what about work and educational opportunities.
We are simple, hardworking and honest. We desire a simplistic life style to raise our kids and animals. I am self-employed carpenter and my wife is a LNA who has worked in the private sector with seniors. We are not opposed to most any kind of work.
We have 4 kids from 3 months to 10 years. We are Christians (though not religious fanatics) that would like to attend church most weeks at an United Church of Christ or similar.
We would also like our kids to be able to have a great education, but at least adequate.
We believe in live and let live and don't want to change anyplace or any one. Just want a spread to call home.
Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 04:55 PM

52 posts, read 204,611 times
Check out mars hill, easton, Fort Fairfield area as well, hospital close by, lost of peoples houses are falling apart and NEED help.

Old 08-06-2007, 05:54 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,383,339 times
The Milo, Three Rivers area has a lot to offer if you're looking for a "hometown" kinda place. It's small town life, but the housing is affordable, and Bangor (shopping, mall) is about 45 minutes away. If you get involved in the community you'll find it easy to get to know people. If you want to spend a lot of time at home, with your kids, and you don't mind making a trip "into town" to shop, you may want to look in that area. Check out Three Rivers Community of Maine for some info. Good luck to you

Old 08-06-2007, 06:30 PM

Default thanks for the feed back

Any votes as to the best of the 3 rivers communities. Is work difficult to come by (for a nail pounding, poop scooping, cow milking, potato picking, log cutting kind of guy). What about private LNA work? Any opinion about public schools?
Many thanks!

Old 08-06-2007, 08:50 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Our son attends the Old Town highschool, we really like it a lot!

There is a lot to be said for being a 'tuition student' in Maine

Find a township that does not have it's own highschool, then each of the surrounding school districts must compete for your children. Whichever school a student picks, then receives that child's tuition from the state. It is money above and beyond what their town's school district has budgeted for that school. So the school's strive extra for those children. And you can alternate each year, which school district you wish your child to be 'in'.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:13 AM

165 posts, read 415,194 times
Old Town, and Orono. Perhaps Bangor, depending on what you want to do for money.

That area is perfect for what you describe - you'd get a ton of work there, especially Old Town. And Eastern Maine Medical Center is right there. Great lifestyle for young families, good moral values, and good schools. The river is exquisite. I loved seeing dads and their kids fishing at the river by UMO in Orono.

I so wish I would have raised my family there. Didn't have that option, though.

Anyway, check out the housing prices. You can get a house to fix up for yourselves, VERY cheap. And with your skills, you might want to consider either flipping houses, or purchasing and renting out for some good income. I was going to do that, until we decided to move to southern Maine.

I hope you raise your kids there.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:12 PM

252 posts, read 710,273 times
I grew up on French Island in Old Town. Sounds like the Old Town/Milford/Bradley/Greenbush area would suit you just fine. I graduated from OTHS and UMO (and Husson). The educational opportunities abound in the eastern Maine area. There are plenty of medical facilities and the need for medical care is great. Should have no problem finding a job in the medical field. My niece-in-law works at Eastern Maine Medical Center.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:46 PM

Thanks for the continued feed back. Have been looking in Old Town and surrounding areas much closer now. Are there very many house for rent and is there a local newspaper or website to find rentals. We would like to rent for a year before buying. Can anyone tell me about Christian churches in the area. Thanks again for all the useful information.
-bignhfamily-

Old 08-07-2007, 11:05 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,383,339 times
You can try The Bangor Daily News Classifieds @ Classified ads from the Bangor Daily News for some rental options. Christian Churches of many denominations are available in the area, depnds what you're looking for but you could try the yellow pages listing. Best of everything to you.

Old 08-08-2007, 05:18 AM

41 posts, read 254,905 times
Can you tell me why you wish to move to Maine from NH? I am struggling between choosing either NH or Maine as I wish to move out of MA... I kept hearing that Maine was bad for taxes etc .. but the coastline keeps calling me :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine