Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 08:15 PM

5 posts, read 25,950 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of moving to the Damariscotta/Bristol area? We are retired and want to downsize from an expensive area in MA. I know that Damariscotta is more expensive then the Bristol area, but is Bristol dead in the winter
We just came back from the Bristol area, and it is busy, but this is the high tourist season.
We like leading a very active life - husband wants to volunteer in a middle school. I like book groups and singing, as well as quilting.
Any comments from locals who live in this area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2007, 09:29 PM

29 posts, read 139,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogorchis View Post
We are thinking of moving to the Damariscotta/Bristol area? We are retired and want to downsize from an expensive area in MA. I know that Damariscotta is more expensive then the Bristol area, but is Bristol dead in the winter
We just came back from the Bristol area, and it is busy, but this is the high tourist season.
We like leading a very active life - husband wants to volunteer in a middle school. I like book groups and singing, as well as quilting.
I was born and raised in Bristol as was my Father and his Father and so on...
It was a great small (tiny) town to be from on the 60's and 70's when I was growing up. It is a great place to live and be but not really a great place to DO anything. Damariscotta, (7 miles away) is the "hot spot" for activities. Great community theater and the school, Great Salt Bay could always use classroom help. I remember that there was a quilting club that met at the church vestry in Bristol Mills proper past the post office on the left before the upper Round Pond Road where the flag pole is but I am not sure of it's existance anymore.
The Winters can be VERY harsh as Bristol is more coastal so that means ice and Hunters Hill going to town....ohhhh, a skating rink! So, be aware that there may be a few days in a row you have to stay put. But, that's Maine and if you do not have to go anywhere, that good!
Summertime as a resident was a challenge as the people "from away" did not seem to have the same respect for the place we natives did. But, I think you find that anywhere. The Pemaquid Peninsula's population almost triples in the Summer so getting around can be a challenge. If you get hot, go for a swim at the Bristol Dam, an old hydro electric generator. I planted the tree that is next to the road to the right when I was a girlscout. Funny, memories...
So, have fun looking for the right Maine place. Most places in Maine have some trade off's but it's all good in the end.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:19 PM

6 posts, read 15,983 times
The peninsulas are all dead in the winter and can feel like the back of beyond when you've forgotten something at home and you're already in town (Damariscotta.)

Since you asked, the only reason to live on a Maine peninsula is that you're a fisherman or an exceedingly rich person who winters somewhere else. Really. I'm guessing you'll get more house for your buck in the Damariscotta area. Don't overlook Nobleboro, Alna, Edgecomb, Jefferson and Newcastle.

Last edited by 7th generation; 08-08-2008 at 05:24 PM.. Reason: Please do not provide the same link in every post. Thanks.

Old 01-02-2008, 02:57 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,875,988 times
I know I'm weird, but I can't begin to count the number of times I've spent a few hours on the rocks at Pemaquid in the dead of winter. Lots of layers, a blanket and a hot thermos. Pemaquid is "my" place to go and lose the stress of everyday life. There is no place else quite like it.

But to live there full time year 'round? I'd stay closer to Damariscotta because you'll need groceries and civilization from time to time, to say nothing of having your heating oil delivered. I know of one family who built right on the point and they have 5 oil tanks because the trucks can't usually get down in there all the way in the winter.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:31 PM

1 posts, read 11,223 times
Default Singing in Damariscotta

If you like to sing, there is Shape Note singing in Damariscotta and Portland. Go to the Maine Shape Note singing site to find out where and when they are scheduled. (possibly first and third Sundays afternoons?)

This is participatory, community social singing from shape note tunebooks, a collection of tunes many written by Maine composers in the 18th century. These are not performances, and no rehearsals: this is just singing for the joy of it and for each other.

No experience is necessary, no auditions, there is no cost, and the music is taught. No committments, just drop in to sing. All are welcome. No preaching, just singing.

Old 11-18-2014, 04:02 PM

1 posts, read 7,179 times
Talking Did you move to Damariscotta?

Did you ever move to Damariscotta? We are in the same position now and want to know what people think about the town/area?

Thanks,

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogorchis View Post

Old 11-19-2014, 01:33 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,678,521 times
In the winter you can see someone you know approaching on the road. You can both stop in the road and have a conversation. You won't be interrupting anybody. If someone else comes along he will understand what is going on and wait until you end your conversation. No horns are blown during this experience.

Tourists arrive with horns. We don't need them.

Old 11-19-2014, 06:58 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,210,516 times
I lived in south Bristol in the winter, we went scalloping, it was brutal - cold, windy, slippery,,,but I would do it again!!

like everywhere, its what you make of it, I liked parts of winter, because the summers were nuts with work work work , no time for any fun or recreation at all (lobstering family, we also dug clams, picked seaweed, and mussels) then try to sell blood and sand worms too , to the striper fishermen

in the winter we'd "go to scotty" (Damariscotta) and see a movie, their also use to be a roller rink in Bristol.

the fishermen would repair traps, build new ones and drink, maybe play some poker to get out of the house

like many coastal towns it is quiet,,,but I like quiet,

if I were retired, id love this area, you can drive to nearby pemaquid point (lighthouse) one of my favorite spots

Old 11-24-2014, 10:52 AM

13 posts, read 24,115 times
Default Damariscotta Maine: a great place to live

I can't really talk about winter in Damariscotta because we live there from April to November. I can , however say, that it is a wonderful town full of interesting people. When I speak of the town I include all the others on the Pemiquid penninsula as well. We live in Bremen just north of Round Pond and are just six miles from Damariscotta. Back in the 1960's I spent alot of time at my Dad,s in South Bristol. I fell in love with the area then and I love it still. Three years ago my husband and I bought a wreck of an old house on three and a half beautiful acres. In that time, fixing up our home we have met so many friendly folks. Maybe it is because they are happy, but having lived all over the USA,they are the nicest anywhere! I include locals, the young, the old, and many of us from away.

In my opinion, the central Maine coast is ideal. Not far from Portland,I95 and the many lovely towns from Brunswick to Camden. Grocery shopping is high but good at Hanaford's, but a trip to either Thomaston or Brunswick will offer cheaper options. Compared to long ago, there is so much great shopping and not too far away. The library is great. Many cultural functions going on: art, music, theater, golf, tennis,gardening groups,sewing etc. Unlimited water activities on lakes, rivers and salt water. Hiking and walking.

In a nutshell, Damariscotta is a classy town with people of many interests and talents. It has just the right balance of tourism to keep downtown busy in the summer. Not as much as Boothbay and nothing like Freeport, thank goodness!

About Winter. I have lived in Maine in the winter. It is long more than awfully cold near the coast. Yes, I know it was an awful Winter last year, even here in Virginia. If you are a creative type, winter can provide you with lots of cozy time for whatever you do. From cooking, reading, writing, sewing, music and artwork and much more you can spend some very productive time in Winter. You would probably want to get away to some place warmer and sunnier for awhile.

I hope this can be of some help to you. Best of luck, Karen

Old 02-24-2015, 04:32 PM

25 posts, read 44,538 times
the taxes will kill ya!! and they roll the streets up at 5pm and turn the street lights out! never was like that! there was a bowling ally and other things in town. now its gift shops. if the cops see you ride threw town more than 3 times in a short wile they give you a warning! I think the people from Jersey have taken over !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine