Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 11:40 AM

490 posts, read 1,097,463 times

Advertisements

U.S. Senator Susan Collins was born and raised in Caribou, Maine. Her accent sounds much more like an Inland North accent than an Eastern New England accent. Although she attended St. Lawrence University in Canton, New York; which definitely lies in the Inland North accent zone; she spent most of childhood and teenage years in Northern Maine. Does the accent of Northern Maine sound more like an Inland North Accent than an Eastern New England accent? Apparently, the Eastern New England accent or "Maine accent" can be heard up and down the Maine coast from Kittery to at least Bar Harbor. In Maine, I've never traveled further north than Portland, but I still remember hearing the accent in almost every community that I visited from Kittery to Portland. When I first heard Senator Collins speak, I was shocked to hear that she spoke with an accent that sounded like an Inland North accent. I assumed she would have had a non-rhotic Eastern New England accent. LOL. Is the accent of Northern Maine really that much different than the accent of Southern and coastal Maine? If native English speakers from Northern Maine have a different accent than those from Southern and coastal Maine, whereabouts is the boundary separating these two accent zones? Someone needs to shed some light on this topic for me! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 12:29 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,661,299 times
Accent???What accent?? People from away are the ones with the weird accent!!!

Old 06-27-2011, 12:35 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,378,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Accent???What accent?? People from away are the ones with the weird accent!!!
Exactly!

Old 06-27-2011, 12:59 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
I haven't been here long...just over a month but so far, I've only heard about 3-4 people who have the "Maine" accent.

Others are from Boston or CT or some other place in New England. (I didn't even have to ask, they like to tell me these things).

Still others don't seem to have any accent at all...or, should I say, they "talk like me" in that I hear no accent.

Maybe I'M not north enough!

Old 06-27-2011, 01:27 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
There are two accents in Aroostook County. The inland accent is like western Maine. Then there is the "Valley accent". People from "The Valley" have the same accent on both sides of the St. John River. They have a shared heritage and most have family on "both sides of the brook". This dates back before 1831 when the King of Holland decided the boundary between Canada and the USA which was recorded as the Webster Ashburton Treaty.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:35 PM

490 posts, read 1,097,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
There are two accents in Aroostook County. The inland accent is like western Maine. Then there is the "Valley accent". People from "The Valley" have the same accent on both sides of the St. John River. They have a shared heritage and most have family on "both sides of the brook". This dates back before 1831 when the King of Holland decided the boundary between Canada and the USA which was recorded as the Webster Ashburton Treaty.
Okay, just to clarify what you said: The Inland North accent prevails in western Maine and "The Valley" accent is the predominant accent in northern Maine in the area surrounding the St. John River? I've never heard of "The Valley" accent. What does it sound like? Is that the accent of U.S. Senator Susan Collins that I may have mistaken as being an Inland North accent?

Old 06-27-2011, 01:45 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,884,828 times
See, I hear a Canadian accent from folks in the County. More of a pronounced "R" and enunciated words as opposed to the rest of us who speak normally. Same with Ms Collins.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:50 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
I don't think of Sen. Collins as having an accent. I know of nobody else that speaks as she does. She has a pronounced lisp and shortness of breath.

One conclusion I have made about Maine's coastal accent is all children learned to speak from people who had colds. Think about that. A linguistic professor at UMO was intrigued by the idea, I don't know if he ever pursued it.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:26 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
What's next gay marriage?

So what accent box would you like to try and put the entire state of Maine in?

I know people with a French Canadian accent like this:

YouTube - ‪American Loggers Season 3 Episode 1 Part 2‬‏

A traditional New England accent like this:

YouTube - ‪American Loggers Season 1 Episode 4 Part 4.avi‬‏

A mix of the two like this:

YouTube - ‪American Loggers Season 1 Episode 1 Part 3‬‏

And some with really no accent at all like this: (3:00 minutes in)

YouTube - ‪American Loggers Season 1 Episode 4 Part 1‬‏

Old 06-27-2011, 02:34 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
I don't think of Sen. Collins as having an accent. I know of nobody else that speaks as she does. She has a pronounced lisp and shortness of breath.

One conclusion I have made about Maine's coastal accent is all children learned to speak from people who had colds. Think about that. A linguistic professor at UMO was intrigued by the idea, I don't know if he ever pursued it.
Lets not forget about the Acadians (Who went on to become the Cajuns we know now) influence Down East either. At times I swear you can hear a little cajun in there.

Edit: You can hear it a little in here IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZJeRs_-FkA

Compare:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK4umRMJlrs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine