Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 08:09 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,101,169 times

Advertisements

ok, I go to the big city of Portland for a day and look what you do! You guys are great---and YOU make it fun for ME to be on here! I'm here because of all of you honestly! Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 09:33 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,363,371 times
Oh my gosh...Molly went below the Volvo line. Shame, shame, shame.
At least you survived to tell about it. How were things in the bad bad area? I go to Portland maybe twice a year. Got to have my A.C. Moore fix. LOl

Old 08-10-2007, 05:06 PM

106 posts, read 454,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
At least you survived to tell about it. How were things in the bad bad area? I go to Portland maybe twice a year. Got to have my A.C. Moore fix. LOl
Ok I have to know now since its driving me insane....what is the Volvo line? Im assuming it has something to do with the 'two Maines'?

Old 08-10-2007, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
LOL...oh my gosh Alison! I am laughing so hard!! and get this...I even DROVE in Portland!! And I'll be going back again next Sat....I'm going to lose my "other Maine" license!

I love A.C. Moore! Next week I'm hoping to get down to the Old Port....haven't been down there in almost 2 years now...I'll be driving (going with the daughters and my best friend) so I'll see how much the traffic annoys me!

Old 08-10-2007, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpedg View Post
Ok I have to know now since its driving me insane....what is the Volvo line? Im assuming it has something to do with the 'two Maines'?
yes, exactly! lol...we're bad, I know! lol...

Old 08-21-2007, 08:11 AM

228 posts, read 220,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
I just did a quick tour through some other state forums on this site -- not a scientific survey, mind you, just a random walk through a dozen or so -- and the Maine forum was the most active of them all. Why do you suppose that is?
Well I think there are 3 reason's 1.Welfare 2.Disability 3.Retired (Which is what I am) I think it would be interesting to know what the % of these three are in Maine . How many people from Maine are actually working in Maine??

Old 08-21-2007, 08:24 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
I figure that my Federal pension is bringing money into the state of Maine, and that by farming and selling my produce at the Farmers Market, I am helping to build the Maine economy.

Does that count as 'work'?

Old 08-21-2007, 08:58 AM

228 posts, read 220,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I figure that my Federal pension is bringing money into the state of Maine, and that by farming and selling my produce at the Farmers Market, I am helping to build the Maine economy.

Does that count as 'work'?
Hi Forrest they asked why this forum was so active?Not if our money was helping build the economy? I am just wondering how much of our state is made up of Welfare,Disability and Retired? Our Pension's count in building the Maine Economy but I guess so do the Welfare check's and the Disability check's , Food Stamp's,Free Fuel, Court appointed Lawyer's,Food Bank's, Shelter's and all the government grant's we get that are used so smartly!!! And yes your farming also count's.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:48 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,579,285 times
Wink We love debate.

Hi!
As to why this post is so active? It might have a lot to do with the huge Libertarian mindset that is so prevalent in most other parts of New England also. Although the state, especially north of the Augusta-Mass line is rural and reliant to the huge social safety net erected by the over bloated government. Mainers are active in the forum of public debate. Local talk radio has been huge up here!

Mainers are strongly opinionated, friendly and open as long as you are genuine. We can be brutally honest too. Just ask any syndicated talk show host that has been broadcasting, however briefly on one of our local radio stations. Mary Madelin for instance had nothing but praise for her loyal Maine callers. We love to debate the issues. We can also pull together to help one another out. Does anyone recall the ice storm of '98. There is a book written about the ice storm and WVOM radio in Bangor.

The short story...The storm hit in January, thousands without power, transformers exploded and power lines went down throughout the state. The first thing to go was the State's Emergency Broadcasting with MPR. Jerry Evans, owner of WVOM decided to go into his own emergency mode. He canceled all his regular broadcasting and advertising for the next couple of weeks. The station was turned into a forum, 24/7 for all to call for storm updates or to find help for fuel, heat, food, anything to help. It was nothing for someone in dire need of wood to have a complete stranger show up in his dooryard with a pickup load. WVOM kept this half of the state informed and probably saved more than one life. Sometime into the storm when it was painfully obvious that the generator for the transmitter, located on a mountain was running out of fuel, Jerry put out the call for ideas to get propane up to the mountain. Mainers once again stepped forward. The Maine Militia (NOT the National Guard!) came to the rescue. They gathered at the base of the mountain and hauled 100 pound containers of propane one by one one snowmobile. (Later on the Gard would show up with a chopper to haul them.) The station was helped by all kinds of volunteers throughout the region. The generosity of Mainers is exemplified by helping neighbors in times of crisis.

We love to debate and tell you what's on our minds. Just be genuine. If you are not, then you will really get an ear full!!!!!

Old 08-21-2007, 03:24 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
Hi!
As to why this post is so active? It might have a lot to do with the huge Libertarian mindset that is so prevalent in most other parts of New England also. Although the state, especially north of the Augusta-Mass line is rural and reliant to the huge social safety net erected by the over bloated government. Mainers are active in the forum of public debate. Local talk radio has been huge up here!

Mainers are strongly opinionated, friendly and open as long as you are genuine. We can be brutally honest too. Just ask any syndicated talk show host that has been broadcasting, however briefly on one of our local radio stations. Mary Madelin for instance had nothing but praise for her loyal Maine callers. We love to debate the issues. We can also pull together to help one another out. Does anyone recall the ice storm of '98. There is a book written about the ice storm and WVOM radio in Bangor.

The short story...The storm hit in January, thousands without power, transformers exploded and power lines went down throughout the state. The first thing to go was the State's Emergency Broadcasting with MPR. Jerry Evans, owner of WVOM decided to go into his own emergency mode. He canceled all his regular broadcasting and advertising for the next couple of weeks. The station was turned into a forum, 24/7 for all to call for storm updates or to find help for fuel, heat, food, anything to help. It was nothing for someone in dire need of wood to have a complete stranger show up in his dooryard with a pickup load. WVOM kept this half of the state informed and probably saved more than one life. Sometime into the storm when it was painfully obvious that the generator for the transmitter, located on a mountain was running out of fuel, Jerry put out the call for ideas to get propane up to the mountain. Mainers once again stepped forward. The Maine Militia (NOT the National Guard!) came to the rescue. They gathered at the base of the mountain and hauled 100 pound containers of propane one by one one snowmobile. (Later on the Gard would show up with a chopper to haul them.) The station was helped by all kinds of volunteers throughout the region. The generosity of Mainers is exemplified by helping neighbors in times of crisis.

We love to debate and tell you what's on our minds. Just be genuine. If you are not, then you will really get an ear full!!!!!
yankee, damn good post!!

i remember that radio station,,and the two fella's broadcasting assistance for stranded folks,,
and this is a good reflection of "what" maine is,,in one of our worst natural disasters, the true maine spirit, was there for all to see,,neighbor helping neighbor,,over half the state was without power,,,and i didnt hear ONE instance, or report of theft, burglary, or looting,,
contrast this to the folks we saw in another natural disaster in new orleans ,,,yes it was worse,,and folks were in a survival mode,,,but i saw , in the same tv screen old folks screaming for help,,screaming for thier lives,,,and others,walking right past them ,hauling tv's and all they can out of stores,,,many items that were useless in the flood,,i saw helicopters coming to save people and the same folks they were trying to save were shooting at them!!! wtf???
those scenes were very disturbing,

i'll take maine and its great people and longer winters anyday over that b.s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine