Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 02:45 PM

30,135 posts, read 23,526,778 times

Advertisements

I don't know if this resolves the scent issues for the OP but I think I have finally figured out the horrible scent I've been experiencing.

I started to wonder if it WAS around or in the home based on some of these posts...until one day I was driving to work and just before my exit, on the freeway, I smelled it again, coming from the wooded areas.

Ok, it's NOT my house or something in my house. So what IS it?

Today, driving home from work, got off the freeway, on to a regular road and passed by a dead animal on the side of the road. The moment I passed that animal, that smell slammed in to my sensors; it was overwhelming...but it was "the smell". As I got further and further away, the smell did, as well.

And now it makes sense because I have seen several of these animals near where I live, heck one was even killed by a car on my street no more than a block away, about two weeks ago. It makes sense that they would come in to the yard and around the house considering we do have some wooded area right behind us and that is why, some nights, I smell that animal.

It's a porcupine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 04:00 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,327,755 times
Muskrat?

Old 07-28-2011, 05:32 PM

19,959 posts, read 30,011,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I don't know if this resolves the scent issues for the OP but I think I have finally figured out the horrible scent I've been experiencing.

I started to wonder if it WAS around or in the home based on some of these posts...until one day I was driving to work and just before my exit, on the freeway, I smelled it again, coming from the wooded areas.

Today, driving home from work, got off the freeway, on to a regular road and passed by a dead animal on the side of the road. The moment I passed that animal, that smell slammed in to my sensors; it was overwhelming...but it was "the smell". As I got further and further away, the smell did, as well.

And now it makes sense because I have seen several of these animals near where I live, heck one was even killed by a car on my street no more than a block away, about two weeks ago. It makes sense that they would come in to the yard and around the house considering we do have some wooded area right behind us and that is why, some nights, I smell that animal.

It's a porcupine.
they arent too quick, so they get thumped a lot
thats the one good thing about crows, they are roadkill warriors

Old 07-29-2011, 07:38 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,015,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

It's a porcupine.
I can't say as I've ever noticed any particularly bad smell associated with live or recently killed porcupines. Ones that have been laying there a while stink, but what doesn't? (For a *really* bad smell, try getting within 100 yds of a moose that's been laying in the July sun for a few days)

Old 07-29-2011, 01:36 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,022,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
I can't say as I've ever noticed any particularly bad smell associated with live or recently killed porcupines. Ones that have been laying there a while stink, but what doesn't? (For a *really* bad smell, try getting within 100 yds of a moose that's been laying in the July sun for a few days)
I remember reading in the Bangor Daily News a few years ago, about a woman whose house was near a stream or river.

And a dead bloated moose had floated down the river and got hung up on some rocks or trees along her shoreline, and how it stunk to high heaven.

She was too old to move the moose herself, and it was quite the nightmare for her.

Old 07-29-2011, 06:11 PM

227 posts, read 413,034 times
LOLOLOL Too old to lift a moose by herself? I doubt there are very many young men who could lift a moose singlehandedly!

Old 07-29-2011, 08:36 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,022,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spose View Post
LOLOLOL Too old to lift a moose by herself? I doubt there are very many young men who could lift a moose singlehandedly!
When it's rotting and falling apart, the pieces aren't so heavy.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:17 AM

885 posts, read 1,486,926 times
UPDATE>>>>> smell is long gone, still no idea what the heck it was.......

Old 08-06-2011, 08:30 PM

2,418 posts, read 3,541,312 times
Probably a nest of mice. One mouse can stink up a village.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:08 PM

63 posts, read 136,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
Possibly a raccoon. Always suspect raccoons you see during the day of having rabies, so keep everyone and your pets away from them.

You may or may not hear bats in your attic. Lots of people don't know they have bats until they want to sell their house and the home inspector finds them. Very expensive at that point. Just go up into your attic and take a smell, you know pretty fast.

It is good to suspect a daytime raccoon of rabies; however, it is not unusal to see raccoons during the day. They are not predominatly nocturnal mammals. Also, raccoons do not give off foul smells unless they have been sprayed or crawled through something stinky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: