Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 08:51 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,721,129 times

Advertisements

looks like Oil is coming down currently around $91 barrell.. I am considering locking in... I read a report the other day that it could come down to $82 a barrell but I hate playing the timming game..

at $94 the daily price the other day here in auburn was 3.22 a gallon but to lock in would be much more.. guessing around 3.45??

Just curious to see how the other Mainers are playing this??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 09:43 AM

2,724 posts, read 6,427,643 times
I could have locked in last year at $3.29/gal. with an employee discount because I sell their gas, but didn't. By the time March rolled around this year my buttocks were sore from kicking myself. It seemed I worked all winter just to pay for heating oil.

Will the price drop much more before October? Roll the dice and hope it does.

Two years ago heating oil topped out in June at $4.25/gal. As it rose people panicked and pre-purchased, just to watch the price slide through the summer-ouch…..!

Old 08-04-2011, 10:21 AM

22 posts, read 40,833 times
Like I mentioned in another post not long ago, the new "low" price/gallon of gas will probably be $3.50 or so. The little reprieve we got mid-summer was a joke and the price/gallon went up to the current price. Now that the per barrel price is hovering around $90 and may drop more, don't expect a big drop in heating oil or pump fuel. These damn oil companies are greedy bastards. I think last year when oil was ~$90, the pump price was ~$2.60. We should be a heck of a lot lower than where we are now. Just doesn't add up.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:51 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,580,693 times
We rejected all three bids for #2, for the school heating last week. This is a difficult call this year.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:40 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,202,253 times
I've seen so many friends lose their shirts trying to gamble on locking in oil contracts. And it really is nothing more than gambling. There is not an objective answer to your question.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:02 AM

502 posts, read 1,736,256 times
For what it's worth....

We pre-bought 600 gallons mid-june at $3.69 with down side protection. First deliver was two weeks ago at $3.41 i think. Delivered 170ish gallons. Down side means we are charged at the $3.41 price and price won't be above $3.69. At time, it looked like prices would sky-rocket, but now I doubt it. My bet if doing it now, save cash and look for bargains during winter. I doubt it will be over what I bought at as I feel we are heading into another recession.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:41 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,721,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax1997 View Post
For what it's worth....

We pre-bought 600 gallons mid-june at $3.69 with down side protection. First deliver was two weeks ago at $3.41 i think. Delivered 170ish gallons. Down side means we are charged at the $3.41 price and price won't be above $3.69. At time, it looked like prices would sky-rocket, but now I doubt it. My bet if doing it now, save cash and look for bargains during winter. I doubt it will be over what I bought at as I feel we are heading into another recession.
The guy I deal with has always been pretty streight with me.. He himself feels no matter what.. oil has to come down.. either it will come down and maybe the economy wont crash or the economy will crash because of the outragous prices and then it will come down..

He says blame it on oil day traders and politicians that don't want to do anything about it..

Old 08-06-2011, 07:51 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,202,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
The guy I deal with has always been pretty streight with me.. He himself feels no matter what.. oil has to come down.. either it will come down and maybe the economy wont crash or the economy will crash because of the outragous prices and then it will come down..

He says blame it on oil day traders and politicians that don't want to do anything about it..
I think the whole oil industry makes money on each fluctuation. When the price of crude goes up, the next day the price of gas goes up. When the price of oil comes down, over two weeks the price of gas saunters down. That difference put a bunch of money in their pockets.

Old 08-07-2011, 02:23 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
shame on us, for putting ourselves in this position, when we could be drilling for our own oil...long ago

the price of oil this winter, like last winter will be between ..... gouged and screwed

Old 08-07-2011, 05:48 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,550,572 times
It would seem that many that are now going with the Bangor Natural Gas here that it would be a bit of competition for the oil dealers. Remains to be seen I guess. It is being installed on our street an about 40% or the people seem to be hooking in. We decided not to go for it. It would require us to have a new liner for the chimney, and a retro fit for the furnace. There is no reason to believe that it will be fewer dollars spent to heat the house for the winter. It will be interesting to see how people that hooked in like it come spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: