Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2008, 08:03 AM

2,724 posts, read 6,422,284 times

Advertisements

Late last night two state troopers showed up at my place and was wondering if I had seen the moose that had been reported as acting strange the past few days.
I hadn't seen him since the day before.
Early this morning, one of the troopers stopped by and asked if I could go with him. We drove up Rt.#2 and stopped by a farm field. There was the moose 100 yards in the field. The road conditions were such, that if the diseased moose had entered the roadway, it would be impossible to stop.
Observing the critter, it was easy to tell that it had "moose sickness," which is defined as an animal that walks in circles, has weakness of legs, and loss of balance. He had been in the same general area for 4 days and had been observed in close proximity to houses and people without fear. This time of year, the moose yard up in the higher country and for a moose to be down low, it's a sign of sickness. It has been reported that an infected moose will be forced away from the herd, as the others will be aware of the disease and the infection can be transmitted through feces.
In 1964 a Canadian biologist detected the disease as Parelaphostrunylus tenuis but has been observed since 1912.
White-tailed deer is the normal host and is unaffected by the parasite.
Severe neurological damage occurs in several species including moose, elk, mule deer, llamas, domestic sheep and goats.
Brainworm is found in central and eastern North America but not in the western US as it did not survive prairie conditions. If an infected deer was transported to the west, the brainworm could become established there.

This moose was dispatched a couple of minutes after this picture was taken and now I'm waiting on a skidder to retrieve it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 08:17 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th generation View Post

This moose was dispatched a couple of minutes after this picture was taken and now I'm waiting on a skidder to retrieve it.
"dispatched" as in killed?..How long is the parasite alive in the feces that is left?

Old 01-11-2008, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
"dispatched" as in killed?..How long is the parasite alive in the feces that is left?
Hi blue, yes, sadly the moose had to be put down due to the parasite as he wouldn't have survived much longer.
The parasite eats the brain and the moose loses all facilities and as bad as the roads were this morning, a vehicle wouldn't have been able to stop if this 600-700 lb. creature had entered the roadway.
The parasite can live for quite some time after leaving the host but it will not survive extreme cold or heat.
A friend remarked this morning that the parasite will enter a host around the hoove area if there is a cut or any injury that allows it to enter the blood stream. This parasite is only .01 of an inch in diameter and up to an inch in length.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:23 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times
Thanks for all the information, 7th..I am an animal lover and grieve when they suffer

Old 01-11-2008, 11:47 AM

6,630 posts, read 13,535,602 times
That's a shame. Do you know how long it takes from initial infection until symptoms show? And, since the parasite lives in the brain and not flesh will you be able to eat the moose?

Old 01-11-2008, 12:37 PM

Hi MW,
A definitive answer is hard to come by.
Because snails and slugs in the woods typically are found on deer feces, tends to point to 6-8 months, as the moose will typically eat the snail/slug while browsing and these are around during late spring/summer months.
It has been documented that moose who are two years or older, rarely get this parasite.
They are trying to determine why it is fatal in younger moose and not the older ones.

Old 01-11-2008, 06:58 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th generation View Post
It has been documented that moose who are two years or older, rarely get this parasite.
They are trying to determine why it is fatal in younger moose and not the older ones.
I thought he looked like a little youngster in the photo. I have seen them with brainworm as well, it is a very sad sight to see.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:07 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
I was going through my desk and I found these ID cards.

My passport, my Navy Police ID, and my Italian Policia port de' arms [license to carry firearms in Italy]

The other day KAF was expressing great surprise at how I looked before I retired. So I thought that I would share with you wonderful folks.

Last edited by Submariner; 07-28-2012 at 12:41 PM..

Old 01-12-2008, 04:28 AM

6,630 posts, read 13,535,602 times
I can't believe the difference. I keep looking at the pictures and trying to mentally pin longer hair and beard and I'm still not really seeing the same person.

Old 01-12-2008, 05:18 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
I can't believe the difference. I keep looking at the pictures and trying to mentally pin longer hair and beard and I'm still not really seeing the same person.
Don't give yourself a headache.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine