Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 05:25 AM

43 posts, read 38,762 times

Advertisements

A while ago there was some older guy (probably 60s or so) driving around in the middle of winter on a moped. He had a basket rigged on it for shopping. I know several people that saw him around town on the thing.

I don't know what ever happened to him. I'm guessing he got in a terrible accident, ended up in a mental hospital or saved up enough money to buy a car. You would think there would be a law against doing something that stupid.

Every now and then I will see somebody on a bike in the wintertime. The roads are insanely unsafe for a bicycle- not to mention the deadly cold. If these people can't afford even a junk car they probably dont have health insurance which makes it even more senseless. In this weather it's not a matter of if you are going down, but when. They have a pretty good chance of falling into the path of traffic. Again, there really should be laws against this. Just to protect these people from themselves. How would somebody feel if they were in the wrong place at the wrong time and ended up killing one of these people?

I enjoy walking when I have the time and the weather is nice. But I NEVER assume that the motorists are paying attention. A few years ago, I was passing an older guy on a four lane road. I wasn't blowing by him. I was passing him at a reasonable pace. I wasn't in any hurry, I just didn't want to do 5mph under the speed limit like he was. So I'm in the middle of passing him. I get even with him. We are neck and neck. Me in my full size bright red Mustang when the idiot pulls into my lane. Never even looked! Luckily there was nothing coming in the opposite direction, so I was able to dodge him by moving over to the left.

I don't know how many times people have pulled out in front of me that didn't even come close to having enough time to do so. If I hadn't been paying attention, I would have slammed into them. I can get beyond the fact that these people are rude. What I can't comprehend is the fact that these people have no sense of self preservation stopping them. They have no fear. Between the old people, bad roads and the stoners, riding a bicycle in this state would be a death wish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 08:07 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
It is difficult to legislate against stupidity, no matter how many laws you pass there are going to be people who do stupid things and hurt themselves.

I am a firm believer in letting nature take its course and going no further than bestowing Darwin Awards on those idiots who do the species a favor by removing themselves from the gene pool (preferably *before* they reproduce).

The Darwin Awards

Old 02-22-2008, 06:32 AM

16,662 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
It is difficult to legislate against stupidity, no matter how many laws you pass there are going to be people who do stupid things and hurt themselves.

I am a firm believer in letting nature take its course and going no further than bestowing Darwin Awards on those idiots who do the species a favor by removing themselves from the gene pool (preferably *before* they reproduce).

The Darwin Awards
Stupidity is not against the law. Sometimes that's a sad thing.
It is very difficult to make things foolproof because fools are so ingenious.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
From my observations, most people receiving Darwin Awards (mostly posthumously), earned them all by themselves. I hate to think what might happen if there were large groups of potential Darwin candidates gathered together in one place.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:18 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,378,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I hate to think what might happen if there were large groups of potential Darwin candidates gathered together in one place.
I've heard it said there are quite a few in D.C.

Old 02-29-2008, 02:28 PM

3 posts, read 5,962 times
That is so lame that I can't say what I do for a living and got edited, if we can't help each other how are we supposed to bond at all. Just weird, not like I was schlepping vitamin pills.

Old 02-29-2008, 03:58 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,096,282 times
MaineKat I remember your post, and it was edited by the moderator because you were advertising what you do for work. It was *beyond* a comment of what you do. We're held to pretty strict Terms of Service (TOS), and if you're not able to comply I'm sure you'd be welcome elsewhere.

Old 02-29-2008, 04:45 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineKat View Post
That is so lame that I can't say what I do for a living and got edited, if we can't help each other how are we supposed to bond at all. Just weird, not like I was schlepping vitamin pills.
kat, my very first post on city data... a year ago was pulled,,, and it took me a while, but i understand why, if this forum turned into an advertising forum,,,no one would visit.
look at all the spam and crap you get in email,,advertising everything...if this forum was open to free advertising it would be one giant forum for spam..

Old 02-29-2008, 04:54 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineKat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
MaineKat I remember your post, and it was edited by the moderator because you were advertising what you do for work. It was *beyond* a comment of what you do. We're held to pretty strict Terms of Service (TOS), and if you're not able to comply I'm sure you'd be welcome elsewhere.
Correct. I remember them as well, I reported one or two to the mods for breaking the TOS agreement. There is a difference between saying you are a Realtor, and hammering every post with a website, and offer to find them a house or property. Offering help through the DM side of the forum is the correct way of doing that sort of thing, but I would offer first, blanket DM's might be construed as trying to spam the forum. Saying what you do is fine, there are lots of real estate professionals on these forums that do "bond" with others here. Schlepping vitamin pills? no but you have to admit you were schlepping your business pretty hard. Not weird, just against the TOS everybody had to check off that they read and agree to comply with before being able to post on the forums.

I personally welcome another Real Estate Pro on the boards. I have found some good advice and tips from the ones here already. Welcome to the Maine forum, just keep it between the lines sort of speak.

Old 02-29-2008, 05:07 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Correct. I remember them as well, I reported one or two to the mods for breaking the TOS agreement. There is a difference between saying you are a Realtor, and hammering every post with a website, and offer to find them a house or property. Offering help through the DM side of the forum is the correct way of doing that sort of thing, but I would offer first, blanket DM's might be construed as trying to spam the forum. Saying what you do is fine, there are lots of real estate professionals on these forums that do "bond" with others here. Schlepping vitamin pills? no but you have to admit you were schlepping your business pretty hard. Not weird, just against the TOS everybody had to check off that they read and agree to comply with before being able to post on the forums.

I personally welcome another Real Estate Pro on the boards. I have found some good advice and tips from the ones here already. Welcome to the Maine forum, just keep it between the lines sort of speak.
good point bydand...

now, if im up in the county and someone mentioned they needed an electrician,,,id dm you see if you are interested,,or get your number for them...
you have never solicited or advertised for business, but "knowing" you thru this forum, id be quick to refer you.
there many on here with different professions,,,, and ive been tempted to contact a few,, then i put it off,,then forget who does what....
what if we did have a thread for city data members to promote what they do,,i didnt say advertise... i do believe it would be helpful,,to folks moving to maine, not to mention amongst us...
if there is a professional handyman in the augusta area,,,id contact them,,if someone on here was a roofer,,id contact them. etc.

Old 02-29-2008, 05:14 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
good point bydand...

now, if im up in the county and someone mentioned they needed an electrician,,,id dm you see if you are interested,,or get your number for them...
you have never solicited or advertised for business, but "knowing" you thru this forum, id be quick to refer you.
there many on here with different professions,,,, and ive been tempted to contact a few,, then i put it off,,then forget who does what....
what if we did have a thread for city data members to promote what they do,,i didnt say advertise... i do believe it would be helpful,,to folks moving to maine, not to mention amongst us...
if there is a professional handyman in the augusta area,,,id contact them,,if someone on here was a roofer,,id contact them. etc.
You know, that is a good idea. I wonder if we run something like that by Yac first if they would let us know if it was acceptable. It is close to the line on the TOS, so it could go either way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine