Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 08:38 AM

653 posts, read 1,777,078 times

Advertisements

I hope this isn't too dumb of a question, I haven't been back to Maine in almost 30 years and I'm contemplating a trip up there either this fall or next year sometime. I have also thought about going to Washington state as well. I have always enjoyed the ocean and infact was raised close to it in Connecticut and Florida. Now I currently live in Oklahoma where all I get are small lakes, many of which are not the cleanest due to the abundance of red clay near many of them that cloud up the water, not too mention the hellish heat and drought that have been taking it's toll on some of these lakes.

I've enjoyed watching and photographing seals and I know that the west coast has plenty of them, but what about the Maine coast? Where is the best places to view marine life including seals in Maine? Is it common to see them near the Portland area as well? What would be the best time of year to see the seals?

Looking forward to the responses.. I'm long overdue to get back to New England, especially Maine. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 10:29 AM

90 posts, read 170,261 times
Seals are not as common as you probably found on the west coast. My best advice would be to get on a charter boat that caters to this sort of thing.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:13 PM

19,954 posts, read 29,990,395 times
boothbay harbor has tourboats- ive been on the pinklady (a tour boat) for a quick tour and saw seals

i use to see seals all the time as a kid- on the rocks (along the coast)

I even patted Andre the seal when he was in bristol many moons ago

Old 07-30-2011, 08:04 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,035,263 times
How far along the coast are you interested in traveling? I've seen a lot in the Eastport and Lubec areas. Across from Lubec is a Canadian island called Campobello, and an area there called Liberty Point. This area is great for seeing the seals that bask on a group of rocks in the middle of the waterway. A typical digital zoom will yield some great photos. Also, there are some great kayaking tours in this area, and it's not unusual to have the seals swim around you. I would suspect that with a little research you'll find that this type of behavior is pretty typical, and maybe (hopefully!) found in many areas along the coast. Good luck!

Old 07-30-2011, 10:03 PM

24 posts, read 68,135 times
Bar Harbor has a lot of seal watching tours.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:43 AM

1,873 posts, read 2,854,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiJohnsGirl View Post
Bar Harbor has a lot of seal watching tours.
Bar Harbor Whale Watching Tours

yes, I see the word "whale" but there's a cute seal pictured also and a link; just so there's no misunderstanding, I realize a whale and a seal are not the same

Old 07-31-2011, 08:45 AM

1,873 posts, read 2,854,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
How far along the coast are you interested in traveling? I've seen a lot in the Eastport and Lubec areas. Across from Lubec is a Canadian island called Campobello, and an area there called Liberty Point. This area is great for seeing the seals that bask on a group of rocks in the middle of the waterway. A typical digital zoom will yield some great photos. Also, there are some great kayaking tours in this area, and it's not unusual to have the seals swim around you. I would suspect that with a little research you'll find that this type of behavior is pretty typical, and maybe (hopefully!) found in many areas along the coast. Good luck!
sounds like a great place to kayak

Old 07-31-2011, 01:16 PM

1,594 posts, read 4,074,748 times
We ate breakfast at Spinney's restaurant at Popham Beach in late May and spotted more than a dozen seals swimming offshore and coming up on the rocks by Fort Popham. Also saw cormorants, an osprey, seagulls, ducks, and other birds.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:01 PM

414 posts, read 297,208 times
I went kayaking in Pt. Clyde (25 min south of Rockland) last week and we saw 4 seals in 2 hours. They seemed pretty curious and popped up pretty close. We also saw a great blue heron, bald eagles and gilliman ducks and porpoises. It was amazing, I highly recommend it.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:02 AM

161 posts, read 416,089 times
The Lubec area is fantastic for viewing seals.

Seals gather to frolic at the breakwater at high tide and it is not uncommon to see upwards of 20 at that time.

At low tide a visit to the small islands around Campobello and Deer Island will result in many sightings of basking seals.

The waters of the Bay of Fundy are full of whales too.

Alan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine