Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 02:21 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAINEr View Post
Is anyone on here a member of the Somerset Beekeepers? I see they are offering a bee school starting on Feb 12th and was thinking of signing up.
What part of Somerset County are you in? If you are in the southern end, you might also want to consider Lincoln Sennet's course at Swan's Honey in Albion, where you'll get first dibs on nucs when they are available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 03:05 PM

276 posts, read 848,480 times
I live in Penobscot County (Newport) but work in Skowhegan where somerset beekeepers hold their meetings. I thought of looking into Penquis Beekeepers but their website doesn't have much information on it and I am still not sure how far I would want to get into this. Been doing a lot of reading,web searches , and watching shows and videos on bees but I am still hesitant to jump into it.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:14 AM

Quote:
I live in Penobscot County (Newport) but work in Skowhegan where somerset beekeepers hold their meetings. I thought of looking into Penquis Beekeepers but their website doesn't have much information on it and I am still not sure how far I would want to get into this. Been doing a lot of reading,web searches , and watching shows and videos on bees but I am still hesitant to jump into it.
What causes you to be hesitant?

Old 01-10-2013, 08:20 AM

Because I don't know if I want to deal with honey. I have been looking into mason bees as a place to start.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Because I don't know if I want to deal with honey. I have been looking into mason bees as a place to start.
Ah, I see. Somebody actually said that to me (maybe it was Lincoln?), that some get started because of the bees and quit because of the honey.

What bothers you about it, extracting and bottling?

Old 01-10-2013, 05:33 PM

We don't eat or use honey and to me it seems that the mason bees are a easy way to get started with little monitary output. I can't say I will NEVER want to try honeybees but this is something I want to see if I would like to work with before I jump knee deep into it.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:47 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Ah, I see. Somebody actually said that to me (maybe it was Lincoln?), that some get started because of the bees and quit because of the honey.

What bothers you about it, extracting and bottling?
Many times, I have heard Lincoln S. say how he would much rather handle bees and not touch the honey.

Old 01-11-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:
We don't eat or use honey and to me it seems that the mason bees are a easy way to get started with little monitary output. I can't say I will NEVER want to try honeybees but this is something I want to see if I would like to work with before I jump knee deep into it.
I had never heard of mason bees before now, but google and wikipedia just gave me an education...and I think I've just discovered what has been filling small holes in tools and other equipment with mud. Keeping those is a lot different from keeping honeybees...in fact, it's nothing like keeping honeybees.

Don't use honey? But it is so useful...it can be used instead of sugar for many things, tastes great on peanutbutter sandwiches or over ice-cream and it makes a great drink when fermented.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:44 PM

36 posts, read 55,048 times
im not a member but i have 3 hives and they are doing very good

Old 01-12-2013, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
I had never heard of mason bees before now, but google and wikipedia just gave me an education...and I think I've just discovered what has been filling small holes in tools and other equipment with mud. Keeping those is a lot different from keeping honeybees...in fact, it's nothing like keeping honeybees.

Don't use honey? But it is so useful...it can be used instead of sugar for many things, tastes great on peanutbutter sandwiches or over ice-cream and it makes a great drink when fermented.
Hubby is diabetic so we don't have much in the house for sweeteners, although I know a good local honey would be good for my allergies. Now if you told me honeybees would kills the wasps, yellowjackets, and japanese beetles around here I would load up on them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine