Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 05:30 AM

5 posts, read 9,576 times

Advertisements

My husband is retiring this June, and will receive a MTRS (state pension). I was under the impression that all state pensions are taxed in Maine. I will start receiving a small State pension, as I had to stop working early due to health. Since the State of MA does not allow a person to collect both State and Social Security pensions (even if you have paid into both) you must choose which retirement to collect from. If State pension is low enough (as mine is) SS disability will adjust (lower by hundreds$$) the payment you are receiving to an average.. but does not stop. Yet Maine still wants to take income tax from that?! I know Maine Governor is trying to lower the income tax...hope that is approved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 06:21 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,201,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanaroro View Post
My husband is retiring this June, and will receive a MTRS (state pension). I was under the impression that all state pensions are taxed in Maine. I will start receiving a small State pension, as I had to stop working early due to health. Since the State of MA does not allow a person to collect both State and Social Security pensions (even if you have paid into both) you must choose which retirement to collect from. If State pension is low enough (as mine is) SS disability will adjust (lower by hundreds$$) the payment you are receiving to an average.. but does not stop. Yet Maine still wants to take income tax from that?! I know Maine Governor is trying to lower the income tax...hope that is approved.
In Maine, pensions are taxable. I believe there is a $6,000 exemption on some of them. People are retiring and leaving the state in droves and heading to tax-friendlier states... sounds like the businesses doesn't it???

Old 05-11-2012, 06:59 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,130,367 times
There is a plan by the governor to eliminate the tax on pensions, but it will cost the state about 90 million dollars. They don't know where to come up with this money. I would suggest a reduction in the tax to just 3% which would eliminate a lot of the money lost. But I'm a newbie to Maine so I have no input with the statehouse.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
There is a plan by the governor to eliminate the tax on pensions, but it will cost the state about 90 million dollars. They don't know where to come up with this money. I would suggest a reduction in the tax to just 3% which would eliminate a lot of the money lost. But I'm a newbie to Maine so I have no input with the statehouse.
Maine could do like the other states that exempt pension income... collect a ton of sales and property taxes. Many many retirees would come to Maine if the Governor's plan was enacted, just like they are heading to Florida and Texas now. People might even be able to sell their homes here.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:58 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
In Maine, pensions are taxable. I believe there is a $6,000 exemption on some of them. ...
A married couple in Maine has a Standard Deduction of $8,600 and an exemption of $5,700, so the first $14,300 of their income is tax-free.

If they also get a $6,000 exemption on their pension, that means that the first $20,300 of their income is tax-free.

Quote:
... People are retiring and leaving the state in droves and heading to tax-friendlier states... sounds like the businesses doesn't it???
And yet I see retirees coming to Maine to take advantage of the tax situation here.

Perception has a lot of do with this.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:12 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,130,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
And yet I see retirees coming to Maine to take advantage of the tax situation here.

Yes I retired here. But it had nothing to do with the tax situation. If I'd stayed where I was, I would have pain NO STATE or LOCAL Tax. I moved because the environment was immensely better--- both the people and the place. I would be happy to have the tax burden removed, but I am fully aware of the plight a very small population state has in providing services with little income.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:58 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
Yes I retired here. But it had nothing to do with the tax situation. If I'd stayed where I was, I would have pain NO STATE or LOCAL Tax. I moved because the environment was immensely better--- both the people and the place. I would be happy to have the tax burden removed, but I am fully aware of the plight a very small population state has in providing services with little income.
In the previous two homes that we had lived in [stateside], we had considered retiring to. But the taxes and COL were so horribly high, that we had came to the decision that anywhere we did decide to retire to, it could not be either of those two states. My home state [California] is just as bad.

I see other retirees on these forums who move to Maine.

At my VFW I know two other retirees closely who came here after they retired from NJ.

I understand that these are specific cases and not representative of statewide. A lot of this is about how we each perceive where retirees go.

Do more retirees leave Maine as compared to how many move to Maine? I have no idea.

I know that I personally do not pay income taxes on my pension in Maine; my vehicle taxes and fees went down by moving to Maine; my property taxes are much lower as compared to other homes I have owned [and I am able to afford to own a much larger home].

Is that how things work for everyone? I have no idea.

In my case, what I see from my perspective, it surely seems obvious. But clearly what others see from their perspectives is different.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:18 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
New Hampshire also has many lower cost areas with low property taxes in the eastern Lakes Region right by the Maine border.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
A married couple in Maine has a Standard Deduction of $8,600 and an exemption of $5,700, so the first $14,300 of their income is tax-free.

If they also get a $6,000 exemption on their pension, that means that the first $20,300 of their income is tax-free.

No, it's called the distinction between fact and anecdotal evidence. Here's the facts:
State-by-State Guide to Taxes on Retirees

Old 05-12-2012, 09:43 AM

908 posts, read 1,119,370 times
Food for thought:

The cost of one smartphone for a year is more than the savings a middle-class person gets for living in NH with no sales or income tax in that same year. As a NY'er before I moved to Maine, if I would have moved to NH I would have saved roughly $1500 last year on $32k income in sales and income tax. I have omitted though the purchase of a vehicle, but that was a one-off-per-10-year thing. The cost of a smartphone is $1800-$2000 a year.

People make a big deal about taxes when they never used to. Taxes were not mulled over - opportunity, quality of life value, livability, proximity to services, etc. were the important things. And for most, they make a big deal about taxes but it doesn't change their experience or location. Complaining about low taxes are first world issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine